View Diary: Midday open thread: Gettysburg, boxers, Jesus and gay 'cures' (90 comments)

•  Luv that description of Jesus! (12+ / 0-)
    “Do you think he looked like the effeminate picture that we always see of him?” Boykin asked. “He didn’t look like that. He had big ole calluses over his hands, right? I imagine he probably lost a nail or two, he probably hit it with a hammer or something.”
    “You think his biceps weren’t big bulging biceps, big ole veins popping out of his arms, thin waist, strong shoulders from lifting?” he continued. “He smelled bad! Why? Because he sweated, he worked. You think I’m sacrilegious because I said Jesus smelled bad? No, he was a man! He was a man’s man.”

“He was a tough guy, and that’s the Jesus I want to be like,” he insisted. “But we feminize Jesus in the church and men can’t identify with him anymore, not the kind of men I want to hang out with. They can’t identify with this effeminate Jesus that we’ve tried to portray.”

Dude, could you keep your homoerotic description of Jesus out of the Prayer Breakfasts? Some of us regard him as a spiritual leader, not as a rough-n-tough fantasy object of some closeted preacher.
    •  I wish Jesus was more like the Incredible Hulk (6+ / 0-)

To me, that's the beauty of science: to know that you will never know everything, but you never stop wanting to.

by JeremySchro on Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 12:16:54 PM PST

•  Good thing He wasn't a plumber... (12+ / 0-)

Otherwise this guy would have given Him a beer gut and a butt crack showing through His robes somehow.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream. " ~ Carl Sandburg

by davewill on Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 12:18:27 PM PST

•  He was a Carpenter (0+ / 0-)

Apparently much like Richard.

I'm no philosopher, I am no poet, I'm just trying to help you out - Gomez (from the song Hamoa Beach)

by jhecht on Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 12:22:30 PM PST

•  They probably can't handle the truth (7+ / 0-)

about what Jesus really looked like. If they even care about the historical Jesus.

For those accustomed to traditional Sunday school portraits of Jesus, the sculpture of the dark and swarthy Middle Eastern man that emerges from Neave's laboratory is a reminder of the roots of their faith. "The fact that he probably looked a great deal more like a darker-skinned Semite than westerners are used to seeing him pictured is a reminder of his universality," says Charles D. Hackett, director of Episcopal studies at the Candler School of Theology in Atlanta. "And [it is] a reminder of our tendency to sinfully appropriate him in the service of our cultural values."
      A short and swarthy Middle Eastern guy? Fuggedeboudit. The fundies want an Anglo Saxon Captain America Jesus. Sinful appropriation, here we come!
    •  not to mention (4+ / 0-)

that he is generally depicted as quite pale skinned, rather than the darker complexion that one might expect from a person born in Judea.  At least if was such a stud, one would think he would have the orange complexion of Boehner.

I suppose a darker skin Jesus would mess with the hypersexualized meme common in the older conservative.

•  It's true that... (2+ / 0-)
        JeffW, Halfton81

... as a carpenter, the J-man would have been pretty fit.

As a Middle Eastern Jew, he also wouldn't have been a white.

Sorry, guys: you wanna talk about the "real Jesus", you gotta go all the way.

•  My mom has been a Methodist pastor for ... (1+ / 0-)
          Radical Moderate

almost 20 years. I don't remember this, but she says when I was a little kid I realized Jesus looked off. I knew my dad built stuff (he was a boilermaker) and he was strong and tanned. Jesus supposedly built stuff, but he was this scrawny little pale guy. She thought it was hilarious. Told me yes, Jesus would've been pretty fit, a lot rougher looking, and he had a much darker complexion.

Since I grew up with that image in my head, I never understood people who got so bent out of shape about what the "real Jesus" would've looked like. Hell, you'd have to be a tough son-of-a-bitch to survive getting tortured, nailed to a cross and jabbed with a spear. I still have fun arguing that with people even though I'm agnostic and/or just don't care anymore.

•  It's glorification of misogynist bullying (1+ / 0-)
      JeffW

stupidity, is what it is.

Tea Party Ingredients: Cellulose gum, Trichoderma longibrachiatum, Alces spongiform encephalopathy, Polyethylene glycol, Diethyl parathion, H1N1, 5β-cholanic acid-3α,7α-diol, C7H5NO3S, tea.

by yojimbo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 12:41:53 PM PST

•  Well, there is the standard doctrine about Jesus (0+ / 0-)

That Jesus was both fully human and fully divine. It's not wrong to say that Jesus worked hard and would thus reflect that. Or that he had all the other problems, needs, feelings, and desires that we humans have. I'll admit, the guy might be overdoing it, but it's not inherently wrong. Heck, it's probably closer to the truth than a white, blue-eyed Jesus painted on velvet is.

•  He's partly right... (5+ / 0-)

...but as most RW talkers are, he ignores some inconvenient facts about the historic Jesus.

He was not only a carpenter, but a day laborer as well, kinda like those guys outside of Home Depot.

His skin was probably dark brown.  He was the Jewest Jew in the history of Jews if his ancestry is to be believed.  He probably had deep dark brown eyes and curly black hair.

He was a half-day's walk from a large Greco-Roman city.  Since it was a boom town, Jesus probably spent a large part of his working life there.  This might be where he was exposed to pagan philosophy and perhaps even to Buddhism.

He was a member of the lower classes.  But despite that, somewhere he acquired an education.

He preached tolerance for others and the separation of church and state.  He praised one of the oppressors of the the Jews, a Roman centurion, for being an exemplar of faith.  One of his best buds was a tax collector working for the Romans.  He condemned inequality and the domination of the rich.

This isn't hidden secret knowledge.  I'm an agnostic, but if I can glean these little bon mots from childhood Bible study, what does that say about the RW faithful who read the Bible every day, yet still don't know this?

Join Essa in a revolt against the gods. Continue the fight, Causality.

by rbird on Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 12:58:09 PM PST

•  Jerry Boykin needs a bigger closet 'cuz he's (3+ / 0-)
      JeffW, eowynsdottir, wa ma

bustin' out of the one he's been in for years.

For Christina's America