View Diary: Are Religions Sexist? Street Prophets Saturday (45 comments)

•  Star Trek (11+ / 0-)

is probably the only TV series that was free of most -isms and to some, Star Trek is a religion!

Seriously, being raised Catholic, I have seen much sexism in the Church, and even though the new pope appears to be a big change when it comes to income equality, he still believes that women must be kept in their place.

I'm not very hopeful that we will ever achieve equal for all and the older I get, the more I see a regression in women's rights and fight for equality.

Mr.AzB has made his chili for dinner today and with temps predicted to reach 86 degrees by Wednesday, if google weather is to be believed, he picked a good day for hot food!
    86 degrees in mid-December seems so wrong.

Untitled

•  What about (5+ / 0-)

The Jedi ?

After all, it's one of the beliefs listed...

In a society that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or circumstances of birth such as gender, ethnicity and national origin.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 04:27:34 PM PST

•  Yeah, but Jedi discriminate on the basis... (4+ / 0-)

...of one's ability to use the Force—which seems to have at least some genetic component, since Anakin passed it on to Luke. How is that any different than discrimination on the basis of any other arbitrary quality of one's genes, such as skin color or height?

by JamesGG on Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 05:07:23 PM PST

•  The beliefs doesn't say anything about using (3+ / 0-)

the force, just belief in it's existence. This is actually a real religion.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 05:17:50 PM PST

•  He also passed it on to Leia (4+ / 0-)

though she was less trained in its use -- if she'd had training under Yoda, who knows what she might have been able to do?

Could also be a case of while not everyone is called to be a Jedi warrior, everyone has some ability to use the Force in the best way possible -- we've only seen Jedi knights and warriors, what about Jedi healers, or those who can use the Force to be better diplomats, and of course Jedi teachers?

by Cali Scribe on Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 06:35:42 PM PST

•  I prefer Babylon 5, which I am currently (4+ / 0-)
      arizonablue, Ojibwa, FloridaSNMOM, Ahianne

watching again, In Delenn you have a powerful woman who is a religious leader--and her aunt is a poet of great renown.  Ivanova is a Russian Jew who is career military and both tough as nails and compassionate.  It also deals with religion and religious themes  in depth (Joe Straczinski was raised Catholic and is an atheist now).  And it turns out that one ancient race  deliberately used religion to help form societies in their rulebound image....I loved Trek and for its time it was way ahead--but B5 did soemthing much deeper and with much more intentionals eriousness--and more women who actually DO things.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 07:04:37 PM PST

•  Ivanova is always right.. (2+ / 0-)
        irishwitch, Ojibwa

I will listen to Ivanova.. Ivanova is God...

"sorry about that God thing".

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 07:43:11 PM PST

•  I think the actual line--on the button someone s (3+ / 0-)
          FloridaSNMOM, Ojibwa, Ahianne

sent me --is "Inanova is Goddess. "

I loved that scene.

I keepwanting to choose a favorite character but it ends up being a toss=up between Ivanova, Delenn, Lennier and G'Kar. I lean a ;little to G'Kar because of the amazing spiritua; transformation he undergoes. And ANdreas Katsoulas had such a magnificent voice.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Sat Dec 14, 2013 at 07:46:58 PM PST

•  There are so many good characters (1+ / 0-)
            Ojibwa

and lines from that show! I think I like all of them in some ways, except for the Shadows.. and Psy-cops, especially Bester. I get annoyed when I play a Boggle type game online and it doesn't include certain words.. like Zog.. "Zog yes, Zog no??"
            by the way: