View Diary: Ikea produces enough clean energy to match a third of its global energy use (56 comments)

•  What is the carbon footprint on (2+ / 0-)
    Lujane, caryltoo

disposable furniture? Does buying three smorgas in your lifetime use more energy than one hardwood dresser?

Life Cycle Assesment is a great tool to look at the products you buy at IKEA and any other store.  Without accounting for this I am concerned that IKEA might be greenwashing.

•   ikea uses about 1% of the worlds wood (3+ / 0-)
      Lujane, caryltoo, Yoshimi

for their products.  so yes, there is an inherent problem with their model. they need to do so much more; that will take pressure and regulation.

Macca's Meatless Monday

by VL Baker on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 08:57:02 AM PST

•  Ikea furniture never impressed me as being (2+ / 0-)
      denig, JeffW

particularly disposable.  A lot of it is made of plywood, but that's not the same as cardboard and plastic.

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." -- Sen Carl Schurz 1872

by Calamity Jean on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 09:55:56 AM PST

•  The particle-board stuff is really cheap. (2+ / 0-)
        denig, Yoshimi

But I've generally been very happy when I've gotten their slightly more expensive hardwood furniture.

And, of course, there's always IKEA hacking. That's how I built my kitchen island.

by JamesGG on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 11:26:57 AM PST

•  never seen that ikea hacking site before (1+ / 0-)
          JamesGG

interesting..thanks for link!

Macca's Meatless Monday

by VL Baker on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 11:30:56 AM PST

•  It's a wonderful, wonderful site... (1+ / 0-)
            VL Baker

...but it's also the reason my wife shudders every time I go into the "As-Is" section at Ikea.

by JamesGG on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 01:29:41 PM PST

•  i don't go there unless i intend to walk out (1+ / 0-)
              VL Baker

through the checkout line!  i'm sleeping under a king down comforter that was a floor display - bought it for $10.

as-is is awesome!  most of it is from their displays - and if you time it right, you can get some incredible bargains!  that's the first place i hit (after a fresh cuppa coffee) and where i return multiple times during a visit.  they are always adding new stuff during the day!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 09:46:59 PM PST

•  I got my now 20 year old couch (1+ / 0-)
                edrie

In the As Is department. It was a floor model - I've recovered it once ( because  I wasn't really keen on the original fabric) and have two slip covers for it. I replaced the back cushions with down ones a couple of years ago as the polyester ones flattened after a while - but the seat cushions and the frame have stood up really well.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy... the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

by lcbo on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 07:16:33 PM PST

•  They make a variety of pine products that (0+ / 0-)

I cannot make myself  any cheaper.

They're pretty much all "apply your own finish", but that's kind a bonus.  I know what it's treated with.

"I read New republic and Nation/I've learned to take every view.." P. Ochs

by JesseCW on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 04:23:55 AM PST

•  furniture is difficult to make comfortable and (1+ / 0-)
        Yoshimi

disposable. i like using old furniture that's been refinished if necessary.

Macca's Meatless Monday

by VL Baker on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 11:27:45 AM PST

•  i've used mine for over a decade - and am (1+ / 0-)
        VL Baker

also using "recycled" ikea furniture (bought used) and it still holds up forever!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 09:45:12 PM PST

•  and made in China with coal-fired factories? (0+ / 0-)

I applaud what IKEA is doing -- but skeptical because of what may not be counted in their statistics. That's the biggie in the CO2 economy, leaving out costs to make your own stats look good by putting the costs / high CO2 parts of the operation offshore.

I like IKEA. But any process that harvests raw materials (especially trees) and uses fossil fuel-burning energy to process and manufacture stuff, and whose business model is convincing more people to buy more stuff, is part of the problem. If it's fiberboard that requires petrochemical glues and binders, it's even worse than whole wood.

Solutions are difficult. But it's a fantasy to think we can keep extracting and manufacturing, and somehow if the store lighting is powered by solar panels (themselves requiring extracting and manufacturing), it's all good.