View Diary: Elizabeth Warren Nails It: We Shouldn’t Be Fighting Each Other for a Handful of Crumbs (162 comments)

•  Even Warren can't scare away the entire monied (0+ / 0-)

class. Not if she wants to get reelected.

•  Not all members of the monied class are sociopaths (6+ / 0-)

A few really wealthy folks--against all odds--still buy into all that touchy-feely bleeding heart stuff like the social contract.

Even Warren can't scare away the entire monied class. Not if she wants to get reelected.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 11:30:33 AM PST

•  All you need to do is raise $5 billion from them (0+ / 0-)

and then Warren has a shot at being president.

You'd better get to work right away, though.

•  She would need to raise the first $100 million (0+ / 0-)

by the end of 2015 to be a serious primary candidate with the expectation that the winner of a contested 2016 Democratic primary will likely spend about $500 million.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 06:00:54 PM PST

•  Fine, send Hillary into the White House. (0+ / 0-)

She'll further the same policies, basically, that Bush and Obama have, with maybe a little more war than Obama and a little less woman-hatred than Bush.

She may as well occupy the Oval Office; the Presidency has become, fundamentally, a place where the CEO of the country sits while s/he reports to the board of directors in mid-town Manhattan. I don't want Liz Warren entering that vortex. She needs to stay closer to the people than that, and occupy a position that has less, uh, attention directed toward it by the PTB, especially regarding message control.

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 06:18:35 PM PST

•  Both presidencies have / will break glass ceilings (2+ / 0-)
            Jeremimi, Check077

and will be beneficial in that respect.

Hillary is well to the left of Obama, but her haters are still running the 2008 Obama campaign against her -- not having noticed that Obama played them big time, and ran far to his own left because that was what they wanted to see.

•  Hillary is well to the left of Obama? (5+ / 0-)

In what Universe?

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 06:36:02 PM PST

•  Not the one Axelrod and Plouffe constructed (1+ / 0-)
                Jeremimi

to trap the gullible in back in 2008. In that universe, Obama is the most progressive president we will ever see. He will throw the torturers in prison, close Gitmo on his first day, give us single payer health care with no individual mandate, jail the banksters.... But Hillary, she's just awful. She's like your mom.

And some of those Axelrod and Plouffe downloaded all stuff into are still marching to it. And still will be in 2016, when they will be backing whatever guy they have found to be their not-Hillary.

•  So you supported Hillary Clinton over (1+ / 0-)
                  dclawyer06

Barack Obama?
                    Do I need to remind you about who voted for the Iraq war and who opposed it?

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 06:46:38 PM PST

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
                  elwior
                  Well, that's not me, and I'm betting it's not elwior either.

So go fight with the OFA swooners (Obama is so dreamy!) and good luck to you--but Hillary will have nothing positive to contribute other than maybe making the lives of women a little less terrible. Of course, in the context of a collapsing ecosystem and the project to create a plutonomy in this country well underway, those tiny advances--or, more likely, prevention of increased abuse--might not have a lot of impact. Hard to tell.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:49:03 AM PST

•  Hillary & Obama are virtually identical (4+ / 0-)

on all their policies. Believe me, I spend hundreds of hours on this in 2008. Almost no daylight between the two. My choice was made based on the people Hillary associated herself with. Hi, Mark Penn.

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:20:32 PM PST

•  I know quite well that Obama played me (1+ / 0-)
              elwior

big time. Check out my comment history.

No primary wars here.  I just have been watching Hillary since the early nineties. I will have no hopes of her presidency other than that maybe some anti-woman stuff gets stopped.

She will be worse than useless economically, more likely will be outright damaging, and I'll spend most of my time hoping against hope that she doesn't get unnecessarily bellicose in the Middle East. I'll expect no action on climate change from her. And I'll expect a more or less Diane Feinstein-like attitude toward the national security state.

Which means:

More poverty? Check.
              More abuse of the 99% by everyone from cops to DHS, and free rides for the 1% no matter what crimes they commit?
              Check.
              Collapsing ecosystem and no attempts to do anything about it?
              Check.
              A new Middle East war?
              God, I hope not.

Oh, and that whole TPP 'free trade' thing? You can expect her to be an enthusiastic advocate for it, so kiss your national sovereignty goodbye. On the other hand, I think Obama will probably take care of that one--and Social Security cuts as well--before Hillary gets anywhere near the White House.

There is no reason for progressives to focus on the Presidency--or I haven't seen a compelling argument made yet.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:45:43 AM PST

•  Yeah, but clearly they're seriously in the (3+ / 0-)
        elwior, dclawyer06, PhilJD

minority, because they can't restrain their sociopathic counterparts.

If they could, we'd be living in a very different world.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 06:15:01 PM PST

•  Screw that! Eschew the money. Call it what it is: (2+ / 0-)
        NoMoreLies, elwior

Sponsorship.

"I am not sponsored. Nobody owns me. Our campaign is leveraging open source tools and the internet and we are doing it in bottom up fashion. Billions of dollars are leveraged against you, your family and your communities interests. We can't compete on that field, and to be honest, why would you want to?

If someone has collected billions of dollars to get elected where do their loyalties lie?

It doesn't take $5B to run a campaign. It takes a few million dedicated people. I hope you will share our message with your friends and family. We will be in touch."

"Never vote for the guy with the most money."

Then you shellack the entire corporate sponsored public policy system ad nauseum - over and over.

Put up ads of the front runners with logos all over them. Bring attention to the Clinton's corporate sponsored, public private ethos and then tear it apart. I mean we are where we are at because of corporate sponsored public policy and public private partnerships. Why the hell would we vote for more of it?

That 'Change' that people thought Obama was going to bring, that 'Change' was about putting an end to that - that is the product that many people bought from Obama. It's why he's so easily tarred a "Socialist" when he is most clearly a capitalist centrist.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 04:00:58 AM PST

•  Yeah, gotta make sure we're "pragmatic" (4+ / 0-)

and not do anything to upset the monied classes, 'cause that's what really matters in getting reelected. Centrist pragmatists know that kowtowing to monied interests is just Reality. It's just what we Democrats have to do now.

Someone's definitely ready for Hillary.

Banking on the American people to be able to sort all this out and declare the adult in the room the winner is a very big bet. -Digby

by Boogalord on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 01:31:20 PM PST

•  publicly funded elections would solve the problem (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

i'm sure we'll get there one day...probably right after we adopt the metric system.

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift and that's why it's called "The Present".

by elkhunter on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 03:24:30 PM PST