View Diary: Oklahoma denying all National Guards spousal benefits to avoid order on same-sex couple benefits (171 comments)

•  I've said it in other comments (18+ / 0-)

The DoD needs to defund the national guards of the states that are balking at following Federal law and start taking away the military hardware (toys).

Perhaps that will get their FULL attention.  Losing 90+% of their military funding (well, national guard anyway) would hit those states in a dramatic fashion.

My core tenets:
    • I am intolerant of only intolerance
    • I am prejudiced only against prejudice
    • I hate only hate
    I don't know why Republicans continue to contrive to be on the wrong end of these three tenets.

by DrSpalding on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 09:55:07 AM PST

•  Yes, defund the guard they need for tornadoes (0+ / 0-)

OK uses its guard way more than most states, they might miss it one day

"The poor can never be made to suffer enough." Jimmy Breslin

by merrywidow on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 10:24:44 AM PST

•  That's how stupid people learn (3+ / 0-)

You can't just tell them the stove is hot, they won't believe you until they burn themselves.  Well that's their problem.

If the people of OK would rather have looting after a tornado than provide same-sex marriage benefits, I say we let them have what they want.  They'll figure it out eventually.

•  It's not the "People", it's the religious (0+ / 0-)

Extremists like M Fallon that are pulling this.

Gentlemen, congratulations. You're everything we've come to expect from years of government training (Zed, MIB).

by GreenMother on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 10:58:06 AM PST

•  HUGE majority of the "people" support this. nt (0+ / 0-)

"The poor can never be made to suffer enough." Jimmy Breslin

by merrywidow on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 01:29:17 PM PST

•  I am not sure if that is true. (0+ / 0-)

I believe that a majority of people in power support this. I don't know about everyone else.

by GreenMother on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 05:55:47 PM PST

•  But you can see where that is the (2+ / 0-)
                DarkHawk98, merrywidow

impression anyone outside of OK would have since if the majority of the people do not support this type of behavior from their politicians, why do they continue to elect this particular type of politician?

Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring and integrity, they think of you. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

by Ellen Columbo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 08:37:42 PM PST

•  I could also say that about certain religions (0+ / 0-)

on the whole.

There is a lot of bigotry in Oklahoma, and I am sorry to say it, but over the past few years I have seen more and more tolerance poking through that.  Maybe it's too little too late.

I seriously don't know. I encounter people who are openly gay out here all the time. I don't know how their life in Oklahoma would stack up to a life in some blue state because having lived on the East Coast I can say I ran into plenty of bigots there too. They seemed less concentrated, but they were there nonetheless.

I truly suspect that this has more to do with the local power structure. This is the heart of the stealth campaigns in the 80s.

by GreenMother on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 05:33:07 AM PST

•  I don't understand the religion reference (0+ / 0-)

but maybe that's because I gave up on organized religion when I was 14 years old because I couldn't get beyond the hypocrisy.

At any rate, I have no doubt there is plenty of tolerance in Oklahoma, as there is in any red state. I just hope that the tolerance continues to grow and will, sooner rather than later, decimate the extreme right wing of the Republican party.

My family, both maternal and paternal, are from Oklahoma; I was actually born there but have no recollection of being a resident because we moved to Texas when I was 3 months old, then on to the West Coast when I was 9 years old.

Some of the people I most admire - Will Rogers, Bill Moyers, Jim Thorpe, Wendy Davis, Molly Ivins, Ann Richards, Sandra Day O'Connor to name just a few - were born in Oklahoma & Texas, and I hope I live long enough to see both states worthy of them once again.

I can tell by your passion that you are doing your best to make that happen. Thank you.

by Ellen Columbo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:03:08 PM PST

•  We are still fighting over if all schools should (5+ / 0-)

be fitted with storm shelters in this state--how could anything else surprise us?

by GreenMother on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 10:59:24 AM PST

•  Would have sworn you were writing about (0+ / 0-)

Illinois

•  I know that Illinois was recently devastated (0+ / 0-)

by a tornado super outbreak. And I know that it is in Tornado Alley, however I invite you to examine a map showing what a remarkable difference there is in frequency between Oklahoma and Illinois.

There is no question that Central Oklahoma is in the bulls eye of consistent, seasonal, tornado outbreaks every year along with regular incidents of very large hail, and damaging winds.

It is shameful that Oklahoma has not fitted every school with storm shelters decades before this.

My sympathies to those affected in the Midwest by the recent Tornado Outbreak.

by GreenMother on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 11:29:44 AM PST

•  What I meant to say was, (2+ / 0-)
              BigOkie, mmacdDE

Why don't ALL schools in ALL tornado prone areas have adequate storm shelters?

And whatever maps currently show a difference in tornadic frequency between OK and IL, or between those and any other states similarly afflicted, will be rendered moot by climate change.

The powers-that-be keep us off balance with the conflicts THEY invent.  The military will now have to expend energy needlessly, struggling for what they deserve and were promised when they signed up.  If fat cats and megacorporations can keep the poor and middle class arguing and at each others' throats about who got what, the little that can be had, they can continue to laugh all the way to their banks and villas.  The country needs a tax on computerized stock transactions!

•  Alright--and I agree, that here, the tornadoes (0+ / 0-)

have become larger and stay on the ground longer, but that when we sometimes expect outbreaks, that the activity has moved north and east of this area, which is scary, because some of those places have in the past, gotten used to dealing with more random, singular events, and may not be up to a continuous pounding. :)

by GreenMother on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 05:19:21 PM PST

•  More and more areas are becoming tornado prone. (0+ / 0-)

And many not tornado prone are flooding prone or have blizzards.  Maybe all new schools should be built with storm shelters.

Democrats give you the Bill of Rights; Republicans sell you a bill of goods!

by barbwires on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:26:39 PM PST

•  Isn't that the same thing? (0+ / 0-)

Hurting all to make a point about a few?