View Diary: Oklahoma denying all National Guards spousal benefits to avoid order on same-sex couple benefits (171 comments)

•  It's not the "People", it's the religious (0+ / 0-)

Extremists like M Fallon that are pulling this.

Gentlemen, congratulations. You're everything we've come to expect from years of government training (Zed, MIB).

by GreenMother on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 10:58:06 AM PST

•  HUGE majority of the "people" support this. nt (0+ / 0-)

"The poor can never be made to suffer enough." Jimmy Breslin

by merrywidow on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 01:29:17 PM PST

•  I am not sure if that is true. (0+ / 0-)

I believe that a majority of people in power support this. I don't know about everyone else.

by GreenMother on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 05:55:47 PM PST

•  But you can see where that is the (2+ / 0-)
          DarkHawk98, merrywidow

impression anyone outside of OK would have since if the majority of the people do not support this type of behavior from their politicians, why do they continue to elect this particular type of politician?

Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring and integrity, they think of you. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

by Ellen Columbo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 08:37:42 PM PST

•  I could also say that about certain religions (0+ / 0-)

on the whole.

There is a lot of bigotry in Oklahoma, and I am sorry to say it, but over the past few years I have seen more and more tolerance poking through that.  Maybe it's too little too late.

I seriously don't know. I encounter people who are openly gay out here all the time. I don't know how their life in Oklahoma would stack up to a life in some blue state because having lived on the East Coast I can say I ran into plenty of bigots there too. They seemed less concentrated, but they were there nonetheless.

I truly suspect that this has more to do with the local power structure. This is the heart of the stealth campaigns in the 80s.

by GreenMother on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 05:33:07 AM PST

•  I don't understand the religion reference (0+ / 0-)

but maybe that's because I gave up on organized religion when I was 14 years old because I couldn't get beyond the hypocrisy.

At any rate, I have no doubt there is plenty of tolerance in Oklahoma, as there is in any red state. I just hope that the tolerance continues to grow and will, sooner rather than later, decimate the extreme right wing of the Republican party.

My family, both maternal and paternal, are from Oklahoma; I was actually born there but have no recollection of being a resident because we moved to Texas when I was 3 months old, then on to the West Coast when I was 9 years old.

Some of the people I most admire - Will Rogers, Bill Moyers, Jim Thorpe, Wendy Davis, Molly Ivins, Ann Richards, Sandra Day O'Connor to name just a few - were born in Oklahoma & Texas, and I hope I live long enough to see both states worthy of them once again.

I can tell by your passion that you are doing your best to make that happen. Thank you.

by Ellen Columbo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:03:08 PM PST

•  Hey thanks Ellen, that's a nice sentiment on the (0+ / 0-)

end of a thoughtful comment.

by GreenMother on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:51:43 AM PST