View Diary: Setting the Record Straight Against a Fox News Lackey (30 comments)

•  OK, will do. Thanks. (9+ / 0-)

It's a long read, I know.  But I wanted to be entirely open with all background information and get that on record.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 04:24:33 PM PST

•  I didn't rec mainly for that reason (3+ / 0-)
      mconvente, Calvino Partigiani, Mayfly

Tipped but not Recc'd. Make a change along those lines that doesn't make me feel manipulated or dirty, and I'll reconsider.

No, you can't fix stupid. You OUTNUMBER stupid. -Wildthumb, 1/10/2013

by newinfluence on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 04:29:36 PM PST

•  I removed that aspect from the diary (6+ / 0-)

And I reduced the length by cutting out the blockquote text of the comment in question, and instead providing a link.

I only asked for rec's to have this displayed prominently such to warn other members about this individual and to have the straighten record seen.  I have already gotten enough diaries to the Rec List that it's not like I was fishing for that first one.

Thanks for the tip.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 04:33:59 PM PST

•  I appreciate that (5+ / 0-)

I've read several of your diaries, and like your viewpoint. I just have a general reaction to that sort of request for anything beyond public safety issues that makes me go the opposite way. That said, what she did was slimy, at the very least. It's why I stay anonymous here; I don't need clients (or potential ones) poring through my thoughts on pie and whatever else for reasons to hire or fire me. Using comments in an article crosses a line in my mind, at least ethically. I can see quoting a diary. But a comment?

No, you can't fix stupid. You OUTNUMBER stupid. -Wildthumb, 1/10/2013

by newinfluence on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 04:45:39 PM PST

•  It's commonplace with my generation (4+ / 0-)

I started using the Internet when I was 11 while just hitting middle school, back in 1999.

I played around with teaching myself HTML and made some websites, did the whole AIM thing throughout high school, and then Facebook came along right as I was set to head to college (Fall 2005).  In all of that time, I have always been open on the Internet.

So the cat has been out of the bag for far too long.  I definitely know where to draw the line, and I absolutely understand people's concerns for retaliation from employers.

But my entire generation is open on the Internet, so eventually something is going to have to give.  Keep the most private aspects of our lives offline and don't be stupid, but other than that articles/blogs/etc. are gonna be out and open.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 04:52:00 PM PST

•  I know it is (3+ / 0-)
              Eyesbright, Nannyberry, mattc129

But I can tell you that it has come as a "shock" to prospective interns and even new law school grads that their (even undergrad) posting history is of interest to those for whom they would work, for whom discretion and good judgment are fundamental requirements. There are still consequences, especially in the corporate world, for that which is done and said online.

Personally, I am a proponent for a greater personal control over one's privacy, though it seems to be a losing battle in today's world. I appreciate your willingness to be open. However, not everyone is in a situation in which they are able -- or even personally comfortable -- to be as transparent as you've chosen to be. This writer's actions are just a small example of why that is the case.

No, you can't fix stupid. You OUTNUMBER stupid. -Wildthumb, 1/10/2013