View Diary: The Progressive Advantage on Gun Control and Disadvantage on Climate Change: It’s in the Language (20 comments)

•  Only gun owners can control their guns. (2+ / 0-)
    wader, Nathan Jaco

I have been working on 2nd Amend gun rights.

2nd Amendment protects my right to

mishandle my deadly weapon, oopsie shooting no charges filed, celebratory shooting no charges filed, cleaning shooting no charges filed

improperly store my deadly weapon, I told those kids a million times to leave the coffee table gun alone, no charges filed. I don't know who took it, they were being bad and should be arrested.

forget my deadly weapon, no charges filed.

drop my deadly weapon, no charges filed.

How am I doing so far?

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote in most states?

by 88kathy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 06:18:48 PM PST

•  You are highlighting the inescapable fact that the (0+ / 0-)

freedom to act, if unfettered, is the freedom to act irresponsibly. I would say just avoid the freedom angle altogether. It is hard to imagine that anyone who argues against individual liberty, even implicitly, will be successful. I would say just focus on the facts: fewer guns means fewer people with guns AND fewer people with guns means less frequent gun violence. Guns don't kill people, but people with guns sure have an easy time of it. Too easy.

There will always be plenty of things to compute in the detailed affairs of millions of people doing complicated things. -Vannevar Bush 1945

by Nathan Jaco on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:04:42 PM PST

•  My points are scarcasm. Here is what I have (0+ / 0-)

been pounding for the last few months

1. Improper storage of a gun - loss of physical possession of the gun - no matter the outcome - loss of privilege gun ownership for many many years.

2. Improper handling of a gun - gun discharged inappropriately - no matter the outcome - loss of privilege gun ownership for many many years.

Limiting of gun kill speed
        Limiting of gun ownership speed.

These repeals of the current, what I call haw haw haw gun laws would certainly pull the deadly weapons out of the weak butterfingered hands.

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote in most states?

by 88kathy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:10:51 PM PST

•  These are reasonable policy solutions. (1+ / 0-)
          absdoggy

But what are the intuitive structures of thought that underlie the progressive position on the issue? What are the moral claims that are enthymemes in the policy argument that we SHOULD implement these solutions?

by Nathan Jaco on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:23:54 PM PST

•  Well I guess you don't want to be part of the (0+ / 0-)

conversation. You are here to say, they wouldn't listen to me and they are wrong. And they hurt my fefe's.

So spare me.

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote in most states?

by 88kathy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:26:10 PM PST

•  I have asked you two serious questions and your (2+ / 0-)
              annieli, absdoggy

response is that I don't want to be part of the conversation. Is this non sequitur day? I forgot my Mad Hatter hat.

by Nathan Jaco on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:29:05 PM PST

•  I think you just want to argue and then sniff that (0+ / 0-)

everybody ignores you. You won't repeat or reword you questions. So you get what you want and everybody's happy.

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote in most states?

by 88kathy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:51:23 PM PST

•  And what I have been using this scarcasm for is (0+ / 0-)

to arm the mouths of the people facing the armed demonstrators at the Alamo and Open Carry Texas  against the women in the restaurant and the upcoming rallies being planned for December 14, 2013, at Sandy Hook.

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote in most states?

by 88kathy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:21:48 PM PST

•  I am also highlighting that the 2nd Amendment (0+ / 0-)

is the ONLY reason people can fling their guns around forcing everyone to 'appreciate' them.

You have your 10 Commandments and you have your 2nd Amendment. These two things are not the same. The 2nd Amendment can easily be repealed when people get tired of guns being flung in their face so they will appreciate them.

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote in most states?

by 88kathy on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:42:50 AM PST