View Diary: How can progressives gain influence? Throw everything we've got behind David Alvarez in San Diego (121 comments)

•  Aguirre lost his bid for re-election (6+ / 0-)

He got blown out in the run-off losing by something like 20%. He lost to Jan Goldsmith, who I knew pretty well from his days as mayor of Poway. Goldsmith is pro-developer, and was on Filner like flies on shit from the moment he took office. Unlike his do-nothing two decades as a congressmen in Washington, Filner mixed things up as soon as he took office, taking exception to handing over hotel-tax revenues to the convention and visitors bureau to spend as they saw fit, and refused to do so. Manchester made his fortune as a hotel developer.

I don't doubt some of the allegations against Filner are at least partially true, he acknowledged his douchebaggery. But the sudden onslaught of accusations seemed coordinated, and had he been on the other side of the political power structure, I doubt it would have played out as it did. Manchester a hotel guy. Goldsmith works for the developers. Filner goes after ConVis. And the accusations stream in. A coincidence? Not entirely.

•  Perhaps the timing of the accusations (6+ / 0-)

was suspect, but we seem to have this problem in our party, over and over again: crusading Democrat takes office, makes powerful enemies, and is then shocked, shocked! when said enemies use their personal weaknesses as a tool against them. Does the name Elliot Spitzer ring a bell?

These guys have to learn that if you're going to go up against powerful people, you better be squeaky clean yourself. Otherwise, they gonna get you.

by sidnora on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:22:25 AM PST

•  Spitzer, Weiner, Clinton... (3+ / 0-)
        sidnora, Ian Reifowitz, Lujane

the list goes on. The higher position you have, the more you think you're untouchable…but in reality that's when you're most vulnerable. No one gives a shit who a janitor or file clerk is fooling around with when they're not on company time.

by Cali Scribe on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:32:34 AM PST

•  "fooling around" wasn't exactly the issue. (4+ / 0-)

It wasn't quite so benign. Some of Filner's accusers were former supporters, and at least one has since come out in support of Alvarez, so I don't think it can be argued that they were part of a right wing conspiracy.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:38:34 AM PST

•  I wasn't the one (3+ / 0-)

who suggested a RW conspiracy, but rather the person I was replying to. Since s/he seems to know the local political scene (as I'm sure you do, too), it seemed foolish for me to dismiss the idea from the other side of the country.

However, I can assure you that Spitzer's takedown was a RW (or, more accurately, Wall St.) conspiracy, and I can even tell you who engineered it: that model citizen, Roger Stone.

by sidnora on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:53:33 AM PST

•  Didn't mean to imply that you were. (3+ / 0-)
              Ian Reifowitz, SoCalSal, sidnora

Maybe I should have replied to Kane, but the phrase I quoted was in Cali Scribe's comment I replied to. In any case, the right certainly did what they could to capitalize on Filner's downfall, and may have assisted in pulling accusers out of the woodwork.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:59:18 AM PST

•  When Donna Frye says you should resign... (2+ / 0-)
            AaronInSanDiego, Ian Reifowitz

That's when I took the allegations seriously. She is the Democrat I have the most respect for in San Diego County.

Those who ignore the future are condemned to repeat it.

by enigmamf on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 11:25:55 AM PST