View Diary: UPDATE - So much for WalMart paying people to work Thanksgiving (211 comments)

•  I wish I didn't (6+ / 0-)

But there are some things I can only buy there. I've tried to find those things in other stores, but they just don't carry them. :-(

Then again, I live very close to Wal Mart headquarters, so maybe that's the reason.

Women create the entire labor force.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 09:02:04 AM PST

•  My mom's in the same boat (2+ / 0-)
      splashy, mamamorgaine

Wal-Mart is the only store that carries the eyedrops that she needs and uses, if it weren't for that I'd insist that we never set foot in one again.

“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― G.K. Chesterton

by bayushisan on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:30:19 AM PST

•  Buy online (6+ / 0-)

you can get just about anything.

•  Can you buy turkey breast cutlets (0+ / 0-)

At a reasonable price online?

Women create the entire labor force.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 08:14:11 PM PST

•  Not the Walmart brand artificial tears..... (2+ / 0-)
          mamamorgaine, orchid1958

which is what she uses. She has sjogren's syndrome and she doesn't have tear ducts any more, nor does her mouth make saliva.

She's had it for years and this is the only brand that actually does what it's supposed to for her.

So when we need to we go get that item and try not to get anything else, unless we really need something.

Personally I just refuse to buy the things I like there because of their utter hypocrisy. Oh we won't sell explicit language music but Fifty Shades of Grey, we'll totally sell that, at kid eye level, AND the unrated version of the I Spit On Your Grave remake.  So yeah, hypocrites, liars and thieves..but for my mom, for her I'd move Hell itself and the Devil best not get in my way or he's gonna regret it.

by bayushisan on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 12:14:55 AM PST

•  OK, that's reasonable. (1+ / 0-)
            orchid1958

I wonder what's in the WalMart brand that isn't in anything else? According to product information it's just polyethyline glycol. On the other hand, I know that sometimes the inactive ingredients matter.

I hope your mom's eyes get better!

I'm not sure what's in it either, but it works and for me that's what matters most.

Unfortunately there's no cure for sjogren's but she's a tough lady and one of my core role models. She's toughed out situations that a lot of people would have cut and run from and while I resented it when I was young, I can see the bigger picture now and I can see where she was right to make her choice and where she had her point.

She's where I got my beliefs about love and the different aspects of it and how you treat someone, though we do differ on the matter of confronting someone who's wronged you. She's much more willing to let it go and just not say anything ever than I am.  :) She just doesn't get angry like some of us do at things, never has.

by bayushisan on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 07:05:11 AM PST

•  Polyethyline glycol? (1+ / 0-)
              plf515

That sounds suspiciously like anti freeze.  Surely they're not putting Prestone in you mom's eyedrops...

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 06:51:08 AM PST

•  I just checked the ingredients online (1+ / 0-)
            orchid1958

Walmart artificial tears contains: Active Ingredients: Polyvinyl Alcohol 0.5%, Povidone 0.6% Inactive Ingredients: Benzalkonium Chloride, Dextrose, Edetate Disodium, Potassium Chloride, Purified Water, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphate (Mono- and Dibasic)

That's identical with the composition of Clear Eyes Natural Tears.  Those are available in stores other than Walmart.

A word to the wise is sufficient. Republicans need at least a paragraph.

by d3clark on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 12:51:13 PM PST

•  You are the awesomest person ever. (0+ / 0-)

Thank you. None of even knew Clear Eyes made that product. Mom said she'll check it out. :) You win one bayushisan hug my friend.

by bayushisan on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 03:52:07 PM PST

•  In my little home town in MN ... (17+ / 0-)

Wal Mart did their usual:  moving into a town and wiping out the locally owned stores -- office stores, clothing stores, grocery stores, greeting card stores, etc.

Now everyone in town has to shop there because the only alternative is to drive 40 miles away to the nearest non-Wal Mart towns.

I don't throw the word "evil" around casually, but Wal Mart is definitely evil.

(For me something becomes evil when it involves conscious and purposeful hurting of other people, but simply not caring because of one's own selfish motivations.)

•  Thankfully our little town has not sucomed to this (0+ / 0-)

We still have some vibrant stores that are doing well cause Walmart is still too far away.  However there are still some things we can't buy locally like clothes and sheets and stuff like that.  However, I go a bit farther away and go to BJ's of which I am a member.  They will not be open Thanksgiving Day!

•  I'm going to be interested in seeing what (0+ / 0-)

happens with the latest Walmart opening I'm aware of in my area.  The Evil Empire just set up shop right across the Chatham County line from Chapel Hill/Carrboro, NC.  And when I say right across the county line, I mean you can almost literally step from their parking lot into Orange County (where taxes are dramatically higher than Chatham).  The problem for them, as I see it, is that Chapel Hill/Carrboro is about the bluest, leftiest spot you can find in the entire state of North Carolina.  And while I have no doubt that you could find SOME fans of Wally World in parts of Chatham County, most of those parts are well away from this location.

If there was ever a place for a small ragtag band of local merchants to make a stand against the Empire, this is it.

by mojo11 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:03:13 AM PST

•  There was ONE thing (0+ / 0-)

in their pharmacy that I haven't been able to find anywhere else, but I finally had to find a replacement for that thing.  So far, so good.

by mojo11 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 06:48:18 AM PST