View Diary: UPDATE - So much for WalMart paying people to work Thanksgiving (211 comments)

•  It's not just Wal Mart.... (20+ / 0-)

It's the SHOPPERS.  It's SOCIETY.

I work for a wonderful, progressive grocery store.  I love my job. We get fantastic benefits and healthcare for all (FT or PT).  We give back to the community in more ways than one.  No, I'm not going to name my store because my views are my own.  And here they are:

Where I work, we get Thanksgiving off with pay.  On Holidays like 4th of July and such we get time and a half or double time.

But this week at work has been a doozy.  We just were awarded for giving back to the community whereas Wal Mart just got another news story on how much they suck to their employees and how they are cancers to us all.

But it's the SHOPPERS who are coming up to us cashiers and asking us with a big smile on their face, "Will you be open on Thanksgiving Day? NO?  Oh my, won't they pay you overtime? Don't you want to earn extra money?"

People are acting like it's a bad thing that we won't be making "EXTRA MONEY ON THANKSGIVING".

We will be home with our families - except my daughter who works at the mall...... -  getting paid.

But that isn't good now for shoppers.  And I saw why yesterday.

People are greedy and lazy. They assume that we should be open in case they forget to buy that extra stick of butter or can of wobbily cranberry sauce.  And they want us "slaves" to be there for their needs.  And focusing on whether or not some poor schmuck will get an extra crumb or two in their paycheck is a cover up for them having to realize that they are greedy, selfish bastards.

I think it's horrendous that so many think it's okay for retail workers or anyone to not be able to have ONE DAMN HOLIDAY off with their loved ones as long as they are getting paid for it to supplement their already horrific lack of pay.

Please.... do not ask "you must be so happy to be getting paid extra money to kiss my ass instead enjoying your family".  Well that's actually what you are saying when you ask, "will you be open? will you be getting holiday pay?"

So yes, screw Wal Mart but screw the mentality that all of it's okay if you get some pay.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:17:28 AM PST

•  Well in our neck of the woods (2+ / 0-)
      minidriver, roadbear

The grocery stores always opened until 11am so that people who burned their turkey, or just found out that an extra 15 relatives were coming, could get what they needed to make the holiday. They always ran on a skeleton crew and the employees still got home early enough to enjoy the holiday.

I always saw it as a gesture to help make sure people enjoyed the holiday. There were never enough "oops" shoppers in the store for the store to make a ton of money.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream. " ~ Carl Sandburg

by davewill on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:43:17 AM PST

•  It's a delusion. (2+ / 0-)
        lina, mamamorgaine

That those skeleton workers will still get to enjoy a DAMN DAY OFF.

It's not a kind gesture.  It's just another way to appease the public that it's okay for workers not to get one day off.

The family of 15 who just burned their turkey... or someone forgot, horrors, the dinner rolls.

So it's okay for the single mom of three to not have dinner ready to enjoy because she had to work 6 hours just in case some oops happened to another family who was obviously more worthy of a whole day off?  I guess the Thanksgiving Fairy will have had all her dinner ready and going for her to "enjoy" after her shift?

Who will prepare that meal for her kids while she works the one day off that now isn't a day off.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 10:51:11 AM PST

•  Yeah, you know just how it was (1+ / 0-)
          minidriver

in the little grocery store in my old home neighborhood. The "crew" was typically the store manager and one checker, but have fun screaming your head off.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream. " ~ Carl Sandburg

by davewill on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 11:09:10 AM PST

•  Really? That's your response? (1+ / 0-)
            mamamorgaine

And that's your comparison?  Two checkers in a small town is okay - compared to an entire nation controlled by the Consume Machine.

I think people just want to feel okay about stepping on other people so long as their needs, no matter how minor, are met.

Hey, that's cool.  I think the rest are talking about One Day Off  not some small town store gesture versus what's going on in the nation and how One Day Off is no longer available to so many because some can't see past their own little lives.

Quite possibly we were also speaking of worker's rights.  Not how some people might forget the stuffing and how that would totally crush their happy time.

Or some might be talking about how some things are still not okay even with pay to supplement a meager income.

Or some are speaking of the delusions we tell ourselves to make it all okay to go shop and not prepare or plan or provide others with the equality of being able to be with their family.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 11:36:14 AM PST

•  You're the one that came down on me for (3+ / 0-)
              Damnit Janet, Naniboujou, roadbear

sharing an anecdote. The only point I was making is that, for a lot of people, having grocery stores open for a bit in the morning was a long time normal thing, not some new consumerism gone berserk. I completely get why you didn't appreciate the attitude displayed in your first post.

I recall my Mother being really grateful, and expressing thanks to the staff those couple of times she needed something for Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone understood that it was a imposition on those employees, and that they were doing us a favor, not there for the money.

To the extent that the spirit of the convention has changed, that's really rotten.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream. " ~ Carl Sandburg

by davewill on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 11:50:23 AM PST

•  yes, because that's not what it's about at all now (4+ / 0-)

It's no longer about gratitude.  It's the attitude of the masses that just want to trample on others so long as their needs and "traditions" are met.

Just a few short years ago at the same store, people were happy we'd be home with ours.  They were grateful we weren't open.

Now they are expressing shock that we won't be "earning a little extra income' while they shop earlier for xmas.

I am sorry I came off as coming down on you. I even took out all the "you" comments :)  It's an attitude or moreso a delusion that all of this is okay.

Thanks for the discussion and I truly hope you have a wonderful day off with your loved ones and if something is missing from your table I hope that is not love and good times.

Cranberry sauce might be missing but that's okay.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 11:58:17 AM PST

•  I never understood the American consumer (8+ / 0-)

I have friends that look forward to getting up at 3 in the fucking morning to go to the Mall on Black Friday to fight the mob.

I don't get it.  How can that be fun?

If I have a day off, which I often do, I like to spend it at home and relax.  I don't think, "Gee, where can I go to buy shit?"

My dogs think I'm smart and pretty.

by martydd on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 11:10:00 AM PST

•  I hear you totally (2+ / 0-)
        Lily O Lady, roadbear

I'm weird in that I HATE shopping.  Cancel that, I like shopping for food items.  But to go out and shop till you drop?  Door bustin'.  Gotta get it mentality.  Aghhhhh no way.

Thanksgiving used to be the respite day before all the crazy shit went down.

The one day that retail workers get get a day off to at least relax and regroup before the xmas shopping season hit.

I think the "workers will earn some extra dough" is just to appease some who think it's okay to step on others.

I have a family and friends that I want to hang out with on Friday.  Board games and pie.  I'm not going anywhere. :)

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 11:41:51 AM PST

•  In some cases literally "step on" (0+ / 0-)

Anybody remember the Walmart Black Friday sale in Long Island a few years ago (2008? 2009?) when the mob bum rushed the door and trampled an employee to death?  Management at least had the good grace to close the store until 1 PM in his memory, then... back to work you slobs!

I wonder how much they had to pay to get the crime scene techs to expedite their processing?

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:20:08 AM PST

•  It is the self-entitled that angered me. (0+ / 0-)

Yes, customers can treat the stock person and cashiers like chattle and never get off their phone or even say hello. When a customer did not show any manners I would tell them I could not hear them as I never heard a please or an excuse me and then I would walk away and tell them another clerk would help them when they remembered a few manners..

•  True. (0+ / 0-)

It needs to be mentioned that the reason they're opening at 6 PM on Thanksgiving is because stores have decided that Black Friday needs to start earlier and earlier, so if they wait till Friday morning, the asshole customers you mention won't go there.

•  If the store owners were REALLY smart, (0+ / 0-)

they would realize that the extra damage to the store displays, headaches for managers, loss leaders to GET the "*hole" customers to come in, costs more than their profits from the extra hours open.  Each store is only doing it to keep the OTHER stores from stealing their business and claiming to be more "customer friendly."