View Diary: Barbara Lee to US Attorney: Stop Harrassing Medical Marijuana Dispensaries! (124 comments)

•  Umm... Article Six, paragraph two (2+ / 0-)
    jpmassar, CentralMass

Don't they make people read this in school anymore?

We had a war over the State's Rights thing. The States Right's side lost.

•  This diary is about Reps telling a US Attorney to (13+ / 0-)

follow the directive of her own superiors. Your comment attempting to claim that the Reps are ignoring the Constitution is fatuous. Moreover, you appear to be history-challenged. This nation didn't have a war over states rights, it had a war over whether states can violently leave the union.

Since 1865, States Rights advocates have fought against the federal government for a number of racist and/or sexist reasons, in the courts. They haven't always lost.

Enough fossil fuel remains on Earth to warm it 6 degrees C by 2100 AD if it is all used. A +6 C planet will only sustain half a billion humans. Human population will rise to 9 billion by 2050. Any questions?

by davidincleveland on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 12:15:39 PM PST

•  And yet the president promised (8+ / 0-)

that he wouldn't be going after dispensaries. I don't see anyone disputing his power to do so, otherwise there'd be court cases about it and not these sort of letters.

•  Frankly, I see no problem in the people of a state (6+ / 0-)

having some local ability to determine how they want to lead their personal lives.

I see no virtue in having every aspect of life dictated from Washington, DC.

If basic rights are being abridged--as in, black people being treated as second-class citizens--then, yeah, Washington should get involved.

Washington should be there to defend the Bill of Rights and the rule of law, and to make sure that interstate commerce and infrastructure are doing OK.  Also to make sure that the economy at a larger level is doing OK.

There's no reason why states shouldn't have the right to legally rule on other things and expect Washington to respect that.

If we're going to retire the idea of the states having any powers to differ from the Feds, I can think of a lot of things I'd like to see action on.

I sure as hell don't see the Feds forcing states to give up abusive Right to Work laws. Or anti-democratic Emergency Manager laws, which should be unconstitutional (I think those laws violate the 14th amendment). But man are they going after states that dare to differ with them on smoking weed.

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 04:48:55 PM PST

•  As always, right-wing crap allowed to slide (5+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, AoT, corvo, JesseCW, TexasTwister

by the people oh so interested in Federal power over the states, no matter how anti-democratic, but one left-wing advance and they're all over it like mold on cheese.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 04:49:53 PM PST

•  there has been a lot of court cases involving (4+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, KenBee, JesseCW, AoT

Illegal searches, no knock warrants, seizing properties even if they invade the wrong house.
        Many people and dogs have been killed when the cops get the address wrong.
        Read the book I keep mentioning.
        I rent it for free from mymlibrary using Overdrive amd read it on my ipad.

Passing a law that the Constitution doesn't allow does not negate the Constitution, it negates the law that was passed. Secret courts can't make up secret laws. SORRY FOR THE TYPOS :)

by snoopydawg on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 07:02:46 PM PST

•  Your bridge ius ready..pick up or delivered? (1+ / 0-)
        TexasTwister

seriously Aot, you believed any of that bullshit?

Shocked am I...:>

It was so parsed and hedged as to be ridiculous, as if anyone would believe they would not be subject to the interpretations of the local Junior Gmen?

I hope the Tea Baggers and Randians and Palinistas go after legalization, it's so popular they could get a lot of positive attention by speaking out for legalization. That should be a gimme for getting some of the unwashed libertarian cynical tromped on masses off their asses.

The Dems left ass is hanging out there, way way out there.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 09:35:17 PM PST

•  So, then we're just going to retire (3+ / 0-)
      jpmassar, corvo, TexasTwister

the whole concept of state laws, because the Feds will just tell everybody what to do?

Too bad about all those states that legalized marriage equality.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 04:38:21 PM PST

•  let's see how Obama's position continues to (5+ / 0-)

"evolve" on that one, shall we?  He's already done a full 360; let's see if he can start the circle again.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 06:54:06 PM PST

•  Good God, you're right. (1+ / 0-)
          corvo

/facepalm

For some reason, this is my gut response to that political reality:

Sometimes my brain is random, what can I say?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 08:12:35 AM PST