View Diary: Books Go Boom!   Meeting 'Mrs. Dalloway' (160 comments)

•  I used to have a copy of (5+ / 0-)
    Brecht, RiveroftheWest, suka, poco, badscience

Nightwood & found it unreadable. So I'm looking forward to your take on it, Brecht.

As for Mrs. Dalloway...it has been so very long. I know it was either Mrs. D or To The Lighthouse that I started and gave up on. But The Waves just blew me away.

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 09:44:06 PM PST

•  I'll get to 'The Waves' - but they say it's her (7+ / 0-)

hardest, so I'll probably read it last.

I put off reading Mrs. Dalloway for twenty years. In the end, it didn't hurt a bit.

I think Nightwood will be a challenge. I'm ready for it.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 09:56:58 PM PST

•  I didn't find The Waves at all difficult. (6+ / 0-)

And thinking over it, I think I DID read Mrs. Dalloway and walked away from To The Lighthouse...although, really, it has been decades and I can't remember.

Look: if you can read Nightwood, The Waves is a monument of clarity and concision.

by Youffraita on Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 10:16:20 PM PST

•  I'm sometimes bemused by which books you find hard (5+ / 0-)

and which easy.

But perhaps you're like me: any book is easy, if you find it really interesting.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:21:30 AM PST

•  Too late to tip you, Brecht, but: (3+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, Brecht, Radiowalla

oh, hell. I wanted to write something witty and am becalmed.

What do you mean, "I'm sometimes bemused by which books you find hard and which easy"????

The hard ones are hard, and the easy ones are easy! You will have NO trouble with The Waves: all the difficulty is in how she structured the chapters, and after about chapter two it's brilliantly clear. Only a book critic could miss it.

The chapters roll in like waves on the shore. You, who have noted her leitmotif about the sea, will not miss what she's doing.

Srsly: dive in, and body-surf to shore. You won't be disappointed.

by Youffraita on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:36:41 PM PST

•  It may have been an accident, but you were witty (3+ / 0-)

When I read "The hard ones are hard, and the easy ones are easy!", I laughed out loud, for a while. "Only a book critic could miss it" was also nice.

I'll read The Waves when I get to it in order - I'll appreciate all her subtle craft and poetry more, after swimming through some shallower Woolf novels first.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:56:26 PM PST

•  LOL, not entirely accidental (2+ / 0-)
                Brecht, RiveroftheWest

The jab at book critics was entirely premeditated. ;-D

What I wanted to know, really, was which books that I find hard/easy bemuse you?

I think we can all agree that Joyce's Ulysses is not an easy read. I think we can all agree that Hardy makes one want to slit one's wrists. I think we can all agree that Austen was the mother of the Modern Novel As We Know It.

So what, exactly, have I written that bemuses you? Inquiring minds and all that...

by Youffraita on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 03:44:27 PM PST

•  It was merely my gut-sense, from many different (2+ / 0-)
                  Youffraita, RiveroftheWest

chats. I couldn't back it up without doing some actual digging. But, while Woolf is congenial to you and me, I think a lot of readers find her more elusive.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 03:50:09 PM PST

•  And yet Woolf wrote one of the clearest of all (3+ / 0-)
                    RiveroftheWest, Brecht, Radiowalla

feminist essays: "A Room of One's Own."

If we quite ignore her fiction, that essay alone would mark her as a major thinker. In it, she posits that Shakespeare might have had a sister, equally talented, but unable to utilize her talent b/c of the circumstances that basically gelded the women of that time.

(Talk about a mixed metaphor! But I can't think of a better one right now.)

You want difficult? Talk to me about Stein's Tender Buttons. Even when you KNOW the lesbian imagery, that's a tough read. Rose is a rose is a rose is the easy part.

by Youffraita on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 03:57:58 PM PST

•  (Um…this is a quiet interjection (2+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest, Brecht

into your dialogue, but we do not all agree that Hardy makes one want to slit one's wrists.  I love Hardy).

Bowing out so that you two can continue….

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 06:18:17 PM PST

•  I don't "agree that Hardy makes one want to slit (2+ / 0-)
                    Radiowalla, RiveroftheWest

one's wrists"; I do find him frequently somber, so that I wouldn't read two Hardys in a row. I suspect that Hardy + prozac would have made for a broader emotional range of novels.

On his strengths, and particularly on his readability and poetic spirit, Youffraita and I disagree.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 09:29:38 PM PST

•  In my humblest opinion, the Waves is (6+ / 0-)

one of the greatest pieces of fiction of all time. Literally. It's on par with anything Shakespeare ever wrote. It was a trailblazing novel and a work of absolute perfection.

On the other hand, Nightwood is a good book.

Click the ♥ to join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news & views written from a black pov - everyone is welcome.

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 12:06:23 PM PST

•  LOL: NIghtwood I just couldn't read. I tried. (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, Brecht

But I'm with you re: The Waves. I loved the way it was structured, and if anyone is saying it's difficult, it's b/c they couldn't follow the structure.

Brecht will be able to follow the structure, ergo it won't be difficult for him. He is afraid of it merely b/c of stupid book critics who couldn't see what Woolf was doing.

by Youffraita on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:28:55 PM PST