View Diary: Books Go Boom!   Meeting 'Mrs. Dalloway' (160 comments)

•  How did they translate (6+ / 0-)

"A l'Ombre des Jeunes Filles en Fleurs?"  This isn't that easy to render nicely in English and I've always found "Within a Budding Grove," unsatisfying.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:55:27 AM PST

•  The 2003 Modern Library of New York edition (4+ / 0-)
      Brecht, Radiowalla, suka, RiveroftheWest

has rendered the title in English now as In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower.

The Democrats care about you after you're born. --Ed Schultz

by micsimov on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:27:23 AM PST

•  I like that better (3+ / 0-)
        Brecht, suka, RiveroftheWest

although it is less poetic.  The "shadow" part is essential to the meaning of the volume as it conveys the way the narrator stalked around the troop of young girls.  He was much in the shadow at that time.  Actually, this was one of my favorite volumes.  I loved Balbec and the scenes with his grandmother.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 09:30:47 AM PST

•  His precious grandmother (3+ / 0-)
          suka, RiveroftheWest, Brecht

and her death.  And his waiting up in his bed for his mother to come in and tuck him in was it?  I forget who wrote it now but I did read a wonderful slim monograph I suppose one might call it, 'How Proust Can Change Your Life' --something like that.  His prose, truly gorgeous, and when he slips in some observation one finds oneself nodding away while reading, thinking, yes, I think I have always felt or thought that way too ...

The Democrats care about you after you're born. --Ed Schultz

by micsimov on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:05:45 PM PST

•  The scene where he is in bed, (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, Brecht

at the hotel in Balbec, yearning for the comfort of his grandmother asleep in the next room, but so ashamed of his neediness.  OMG.   So beautiful and so poignant.

His grandmother was his most cherished relative, even more, I believe, than his mother.

Well, I could go on and on and I sense you could, too….

I did read "How Proust Can Change your Life," and there is another one I loved as much, "Proust's Overcoat."

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 03:09:35 PM PST

RiveroftheWest, Brecht

I will have to check into "Proust's Overcoat."

And then there's Swann and Odette; I've forgotten the title, I think Pleasures and Days, a volume of Proust's short stories, quite remarkable to trace his refinement; I've read he was quite the student of among others John Ruskin so I feel I must at some point get my hands on at least what he craved.

The Democrats care about you after you're born. --Ed Schultz

by micsimov on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 05:57:08 PM PST

•  I swear, I could spend the rest of my life (2+ / 0-)
                RiveroftheWest, Brecht

just wallowing in Proust!

Ruskin I have always meant to read.  In fact, I have something of his on my Wish List as a reminder that I need to go to the library and get some of his works just so I can see what Proust admired so much.

I'm not sure if this is the "Pleasures and Days" you referred to.
                I am not familiar with it, but there is much I don't know.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 06:12:48 PM PST

•  Yes that's it; (3+ / 0-)
                  Brecht, Radiowalla, RiveroftheWest

although I read the compilation translated by Joachim Neugroschel as The Complete Short Stories of Marcel Proust that includes PD as well as some uncollected works; also read some of the essays in On Art and Literature.  And reading Proust, I agree, it must be just like heaven ;)

The Democrats care about you after you're born. --Ed Schultz