View Diary: Judge calls a 13-year-old "predatory" after she was raped by a 41 year-old. (278 comments)

•  You should take them down (11+ / 0-)

Telling a story is one thing, but posting real pictures of real people and telling private sexual things about them is extremely irresponsible behavior. If you want to post a link to a news story or something, that's one thing. But these pics are beyond the pale, you should take them down. DKos isn't your personal vendetta.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
    Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:05:25 AM PST

•  Why so defensive? (9+ / 0-)

Keeping secrets like this one doesn't help anyone heal or stop it from happening to someone else.  She gave her brother an opportunity to redeem a small piece of himself and he didn't take her up on it.  Maybe making this incident public will force him to own his disgusting behavior.  Child predators deserve no respect or privacy.

•  How do you know he's a child predator (2+ / 0-)
        sponson, rktect

For all we know, the picture here is of a guy who quit Scientology and this is blackmail.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:37:04 AM PST

•  It's not the predator I'm worried about; (13+ / 0-)

the daughter has the right to privacy, especially under such awful circumstances--and unless the parent cleared this posting with her, I am a little horrified by such a blatant disrespect of that privacy.

•  When my daughter was a child yes (3+ / 0-)
          ceebee7, MichaelNY, FarWestGirl

This took place more than twenty years ago, so I view it as having passed into the category of history rather than current events. We have been pretty supportive of her all this time but its hard to extend that to him.

It first got posted here in 2010 and I have done my time in hell over it. Maybe somebody should address why victims of crimes have to fall back on privacy as a protection while over a period of decades being ashamed to come forward and tell their tale

My daughter probably and my brother certainly would prefer it just all go away but it doesn't go away for her mother and I. Her mom's clinical depression and cancer, have been an ongoing reminder for us for years now

I was also a little horrified by my brothers reaction which was essentially to want to just blow it off and move on, forgive and forget. I can't forget it, its a crime with no statute of limitations. We didn't prosecute him in any criminal court but the judgment of his family has been to shun him forever.

Dan's email  July 13, 2010

I want to say, right off, that I’m sorry to have angered you so badly.  I wrote to ___ and told him I am very sad to lose all contact with my family, I care about you all a great deal.  Mistakes in my past cannot be undone and these days I try to live my life with whatever level of integrity and judgment I can summon.  Your right, I have hurt some people and done some things I’m not proud of, I have to live with all that. I would like my brother to be a supportive and inspiring person in my life, and you would probably like the same from me. Maybe we still have time.

As to my whereabouts being unknown to you, I have been getting mail, receiving phone calls and email at the same locations I was when you last sent me a Christmas package. I must admit I haven’t felt much like calling much since you published your list of accusations on your blog. We need to move on.

This week I am moving and will no longer get mail in Las Vegas so I wanted you to have that address.  I follow your writings on Daily Kos and have a good sense of what your doing and whats going on with the farm and family. You seem to be enjoying your country life. Congratulations on becoming a grandparent.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 10:33:14 AM PST

•  Um (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

1) As a long time site user, you know that's not possible, since people can't delete comments.

2) Since it's his/her daughter rktect probably knows better than you do whether or not she's OK with having her photo posted.

•  Re (1+ / 0-)
        falconer520

He can take the photos down from imageshack or wherever.

We have no way of knowing if this is a libelous frame job or not.

This is not the place for this material.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 10:55:45 AM PST

•  I took down my daughters picture from image shack (4+ / 0-)

I would like it if people who are victims of a crime like rape wouldn't have to do everything in their power to keep it a secret, and I'd like the point to be made that a child molester incestuously raping someone who has diminished capacity to give consent deserves very little in the way of privacy. Posting evidence of a rape is not quite the same degree of awful as the crime itself.

Whenever I look at that photo with my daughter standing beside my brothers truck in front of a Telluride bar its as if a still picture becomes a storyboard for a scene in a movie and everything else that followed is captured in that instant. That's why I put it up.

The nature of being ok with something implies informed consent without duress or diminished capacity. For children parent's and family have some responsibility to advise and consent but there is a point at which you have to be able to choose right from wrong for yourself. I don't think my brother has got there yet.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 11:27:05 AM PST

•  I disagree: to hell with the bastard (4+ / 0-)
      rktect, ceebee7, MichaelNY, Damnit Janet

Why roll over?  Post his picture.

Lefties, learn to fight.

•  i take issue with one part of your comment (1+ / 0-)
      Calfacon

"posting private sexual things.."

Raping his niece is not a "private sexual thing"...it makes it sound like what he reportedly did was as bad as having a kink or masturbating.

He outed his bro as a rapist who sadistically traumatized and betrayed his niece who probably loved him. Discussion of the posting of the suspected rapist is valid I think.

•  Re (0+ / 0-)
        How do you know these people even exist?

How do you know the girl in the pic is his daughter? How do you know the other guy is his brother? How do you know anything sexual happened between them other than the poster's say-so?

How do you know this whole thing isn't just a smear campaign against the people in the pictures without a news report or some other corroborating source?

God, people on here are so trusting and gullible. You know literally fucking nothing about anyone in question other than words on the screen by the poster, but you're perfectly happy to be judge, jury, and executioner.

That's why personal information of this nature should never be discussed on this site. If there's a legit news report, fine, but otherwise you're just providing a forum for parties to libel each other.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 09:13:06 PM PST

•  DON"T swear at me, and you mistake the point (1+ / 0-)
          Aurora Moon

anyway.
          I took issue with something very narrow--semantics that seemed to minimize rape in general. You said the diarist was "posting private sexual things.." No, he was posting about a rape of a young girl. "private sexual things" makes it sound like the guy in the diary was masturbating or having an affair or something innocuous.

How you go from there to saying I was being judge, jury, executioner is beyond me...quite a leap, an you have to admit, illogical.

In addition, do you don't seem to understand that many if not most of us here DO get anything on line may not be true. On DK, in diaries, we act AS IF in our comments. We give the benefit of the doubt for the purpose of commenting even though we may be thinking n the back of our minds that it may not be true. People here and also in other places online write about health problems, the deaths of spouses, money issues etc. ALL of these things could be lies. We act "as if" and give sympathy. This is no different

Because we, or at least I, have no idea who the accused person is--I did NOT see any name or personal info so if it's there I just glossed over it and missed that. I did see a picture but I DON"T KNOW the guy in it so it means Nothing to me.

Your accusations are very alienating. You sound like either the accused uncle OR some other guy who feels wrongly framed for a similar incident.

You are alienating yourself with your accusations and forgetting how DK works. We are just taking the diary at face value...you project judge jury executioner on us while really we are just acting as if.

I'm being generous in explaining how it is. Really I'm pissed for how disrespectful you are being. I'd considered hide rating you for saying "you know literally fucking nothing" but I don't know the hide rules and you seem so very upset it's not worth further issues with your or others if I do it wrong.
          Bub bye. Happy Thanksgiving.

•  So I shouldn't discuss what happened to me? (0+ / 0-)

I can post the sex offender registry--would that be enough?