View Diary: Newsweek’s Brilliant Hit Piece on Lara Logan's Husband (148 comments)

•  Is there any chance... (3+ / 0-)

... writers everywhere in America could dispense with the sports references or metaphors...?

1) It sends a line drive straight at Burkett’s head, forcing him to either duck or attempt to catch the ball.
    I don't know WTF a "line drive" is, so this point is totally lost on me.  It's also the point at which I stopped reading.  Don't bother to explain.  I don't care.

I loathe sports more than anyone I know.  It's half the reason I turned off my TV a few months ago and half the reason I've never, ever subscribed to cable TV (the other half of the reason in both cases is that I adamantly refuse to pay to receive ads I loathe almost as much as I loathe sports and which I can see for free any time). Why the fuck would I pay for a sports channel I'd never watch, even if it's only bundled with one or two networks I would watch?  They'd still get a few pennies of my money and I don't want that so no cable subscription.  Anyway, check out TVGuide.com and you'll see that weekends are taken up with sports on non-cable channels now, too.  Sports (and reality shows) have totally ruined TV - again!  (And I remember the 1968 Heidi debacle which is the origin of sports idiocy on TV.  I was waiting for the show to come on and was horrified when I saw the football nonsense a few minutes before the show - I turned the volume down until Heidi started.  That was the night I saw the guy behind reach up to the balls of the guy in the center of the line in front of him and wondered if the football players were gay.)

When I can, I avoid buying merchandise in my own state now since my Dem governor and Repuke legislature voted to build two more fucking sports stadiums with our state tax dollars, absent additional clear ways to pay for these monstrosities after just finishing two other stadiums, and minutes before they voted on the last bill someone slipped in a clause for additional sports shite for the state or their local region by the Cities, so no one got a chance to "debate" the issue.  The Repuke legislature had previously cut funding to Medicaid and Education.  Riiiiiight.  The day I-35 bridge collapsed the then-Repuke-governator was scheduled to have a meeting with the owners of a sports team to try to convince politicians to vote state tax dollars to build stadiums (this non-issue "issue" has been around for about two decades or more).  Who they think will actually buy tickets few people can afford to buy to go see these idiocies has so far been lost in the screams of 'jobs, jobs, jobs!'  That the construction jobs are only temporary is lost entirely.

Thank you.

Benghazi.

Isn't this the case of the diplomat or ambassador (or some appointed person) chose to stay somewhere and when the embassy or diplomat's residence was attacked he saved a bunch of people and died of smoke inhalation himself because he didn't heed warnings to leave but chose to stay there?  If so, then what's the issue with his death?  He chose to be there.  There's no controversy when choices were not coerced.  Were the guards corporate mercenaries who were paid to guard the building or were they regular US military personnel?  If they were corporate mercenaries, I'm sure the corporations had their lives insured, so the corporations lost nothing.  If the mercenaries themselves were smart, they had insurance on their lives and their families collected.

So, where, pray tell, is the "controversy?"

The only positive thing I got out of the whole non-issue is watching Hillary in front of the congressional panel, and finding out my previous reservations about her being a presidential candidate were correct.  When Hillary said at the hearings that she (paraphrasing) 'recommended the US increase military forces in Africa "to protect American interests there,"' that warmongering advice made my blood run cold and it's the prime reason I'd never, ever, under any circumstances, support Hillary as a candidate or vote for her to be prez of the US.  Women don't get my vote just because they're women.  They must ALSO be Democrats (no DINOs need apply), keep their oaths of office, stand for equality for all persons, stand for peace and be willing to pledge to return all of our rights to us that were taken away during the Bushista years.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see a woman president before I die sometime in the next 33 years..., but the next person I vote for must be one who will END the US military presence anywhere except at existing military bases in the US itself and one who does NOT espouse the Repuke line of "you must fear ter'rist criminals and something-ter'rist-oil-something so the military-industrial-congressional complex can profit."

"Newscasters" and Benghazi...?  Pffffffffffffft....

by NonnyO on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 03:29:30 PM PST

•  No chance, I'm afraid (7+ / 0-)

Baseball and football are too deeply embedded in the American psyche - and baseball has been there longer.

A "line drive" is a ball that's been hit so hard it goes in a fast straight line, and usually results in the batter gaining at least one base, because it's so fast it's hard to catch. There's also a risk of a fielder getting hit, and possibly badly hurt, by one.

So yeah, "dodge or try to catch" ARE the only two options.

If it's
      Not your body,
      Then it's
      Not your choice
      And it's
      None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 04:21:03 PM PST

•  Rec'd for your sig line... (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

It's still one of my most favorite sig lines ever.

My utter loathing of sports started with 7th grade PE.  Story too long to recount.  Suffice to say, my loathing of sports has only gotten worse through the decades if you add broadcasting and news stories of the criminal actions by jocks making the top of the news hour when I still used to turn TV news on that covered the state.

At age 67, almost 68, I don't expect to lose this loathing of sports and jocks in general any time soon.  I shall continue to cease to read "news" pieces the minute sports metaphors come up while my respect for the writer goes down for having the lack of ability to get a point across by using sports metaphors.  Really, I don't understand any of them because I've avoided sports at every turn all of my adult life, so I don't know what any of them mean even when they're explained.  As head of my own household all of my adult life, it's easy to keep a television off when sports are on.  Football is the reason I refuse to attend family get-togethers on holidays now; they used to be really fun and I could listen to family stories and laugh until my sides ached - before holiday football became the rage.  Sports is the ONE area of knowledge where I'm like a Repuke: I refuse to learn anything about sports.  I don't like sports, I don't like stupid jocks or their criminal actions, so I refuse to be dumbed down by masochistic things like watching sports.

:-)

by NonnyO on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 04:47:47 PM PST

•  Well, that's just you (4+ / 0-)

I'm no sports fan, but I did pick up a smattering of the vocabulary - enough to follow the metaphors.

Well...I did learn far more than I ever intended to about figure skating, because I was quite a fan of that sport/art for a number of years (until they jacked around with the rules to take the art out of it). But that's a pretty small fandom.

If it's
          Not your body,
          Then it's
          Not your choice
          And it's
          None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 05:46:06 PM PST

•  Ah... once every four years... (0+ / 0-)

Olympic ice skating.  Or is it dance skating?

In any case, it's too artistic to be "sports" to my mind.  Love the dance routines and costumes and artistic moves done to music.

by NonnyO on Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 06:10:56 PM PST

•  Sorry about the sports metaphor (8+ / 0-)

Ironically enough, I have very little interest in sports, and can relate to the loathing you express. I appreciate your comments and can only say that you really hit a home run right through the goalposts with this one.

•  Thank you.... (3+ / 0-)
        caul, boudi08, elwior

:-)  I like your style, so keep on writing!  (Just no sports stuff. :-))

Sorry.  It's a really touchy subject with me since the Dem gov of MN (who used to be our senator in DC) approved this stadium shite and it hit all my raw nerves when the bill passed.  It didn't help that ALL the candidates for gov that year espoused this nonsense in their pre-election night "debates."

This horror has been "debated" for about a quarter of a century (with "approval" of same in the toilet numbers for the first fifteen or twenty years because no one wanted to spend our tax dollars for them)..., and NOW, with a Dem governor, it passes...?!?  WTF?!?  When poll numbers were reaching a 50% approval rate just before election night I figured someone rigged the polls.

The gov is a perfectly nice guy otherwise (he has lovely dogs), he's usually on the correct side of many progressive issues, but my opinion of him plummeted when this stadium shite passed.

by NonnyO on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 12:12:06 AM PST