View Diary: The "Knockout Game" is a Dream Come True for Racist White Conservatives (188 comments)

•  Black kids targeting white people... (7+ / 0-)

with senseless violence for fun and we're supposed to blame white racists for overreacting?

Good luck with that one...

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 10:30:42 AM PST

•  How often has it happened? (3+ / 0-)
      Tonedevil, Eyesbright, AoT

This smells of shark week to me.

•  Just imagine.... (3+ / 0-)

the Outrage Overload this site would go into if young Tea Partiers were knocking out old Black men.

•  You make the point perfectly (1+ / 0-)
        Tonedevil

- that there is no there there.

•  Or a Hispanic man kills a black teen... (0+ / 0-)

who punched him in the nose. Imagine the outrage if that happened.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:43:19 PM PST

•  And which of the perpetrators of these attacks (2+ / 0-)
          gramofsam1, Tonedevil

got caught by the police and then let go scot free? None. You completely miss the point of the outrage about the killing of Trayvon Martin.

•  I don't miss the point. (0+ / 0-)

I simply don't agree with you. It seemed more than likely that Martin threw the first punch, and that it was probably not expected by Zimmerman. Perhaps Trayvon was trying to knock him the fuck out... going polar bear hunting on that cracka. Who knows... It didn't work out too well for the 17-year-old. It should probably serve as a lesson to other kids. Be careful who you fuck with, because you never know what kind of sick fuck you might encounter. It's better to keep your hands to yourself and leave strangers alone.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 12:07:57 PM PST

•  So now you're defending the killing of Martin (1+ / 0-)
              Tonedevil

And assuming that he threw the first punch.

But you're totally not racist. But those savage black kids need a lesson.

Again, you did miss the point. Every single person that engaged in this game an got caught got punished. You're making a false equivalency. You have absolutely no clue what the point is, you just want to blame black people for racism.

•  Florida tried to punish Zimmerman. (0+ / 0-)

But the jury felt the killing was justifiable. They must have thought that Trayvon was the aggressor. And based on the evidence we know, it was likely.

BTW, have you noticed how you tell other people what THEY think in every post? Perhaps you should stick to what YOU think and let other people speak for themselves. I'm not lecturing you; It's just a suggestion.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Tue Nov 26, 2013 at 01:23:19 PM PST

•  It took them months to even arrest him (1+ / 0-)
                  Tonedevil

No, I don't tell people what they think, I tell them what they do. I assume that what they do is influenced by what they think, because it seems to me that to do otherwise would be calling them idiots or liars. So if someone goes around blaming black people for racism constantly I naturally assume they want to blame black people for racism. Maybe the way I state it is off putting, but I've never found a way to tell someone that what they're saying or doing is racist when they are invested in believing they aren't being racist. So instead I just tell them how I see them acting. And you're defending racists and pretending like ti's black people's fault that they are racist. So I assume you want tot do those things. You might not like the words I use to describe what you're doing, but that doesn't change what you're doing.

•  They arrested Zimmerman immediately. (0+ / 0-)

But they didn't charge him with a crime because they didn't feel they had sufficient evidence to convict. Turns out, they were right. The State of Florida ended up spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on an unwinnable case to appease an angry mob.

(Notice once again how I'm stating facts and giving MY opinions. I'm not calling you names or telling you what YOU think.)

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 06:02:15 AM PST

•  No, they didn't (1+ / 0-)
                      Tonedevil

They detained him but did not arrest him. There's a huge difference. They didn't arrest him until there was outrage about him getting away with murder.

All of which avoids the point, you compared the Trayvon case, where people were angry because Zimmerman didn't get arrested or charged, and this supposed trend where everyone got arrested. You were pretending like no one is denouncing this even though the diarist did. And you managed to pretend like it's black peoples' fault that racism is a problem.

•  The word "you" is rampant in your comments. (0+ / 0-)

And I'm not just talking about the ones in this diary. It's all straw man and no substance. Check it out... it's shocking how often "you" use that word.

P.S.

ar·rest[ ə rést ]
                        take somebody into custody: to seize and take somebody into legal custody
                        stop something: to stop or slow something
                        take hold of something: to suddenly capture and hold something, especially somebody's attention

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 07:59:36 AM PST

•  Arresting someone is very different than detaining (1+ / 0-)
                          Tonedevil

them. They are legal terms. If you can show me an arrest report from the day Trayvon was killed I'll correct what I said. You've moved the goal posts.

And yes, I used the word you a lot, because I'm pointing out the things you are saying. I don't know why this is such a problem. I suppose using 'they' is way, way better. I feel so damn chastised!

But that was a wonderful way of avoiding the subject yet again. So maybe you(OH GOD!!!!!) could address the actual point. Everyone has done exactly what you complained they didn't do, we just also talked about racism. So if you complain I'm assuming it's the talking about racism that you actually have a problem with.

•  Was Zimmerman not arrested immediately? (0+ / 0-)

Wasn't he taken into custody, seized into legal custody? Didn't they slap the hand cuffs on his wrists and drive him to the police station for an interrogation? Was he free to leave?

Of course not... he WAS arrested. He just wasn't charged with a crime until the political decision was made to (over)charge him with second degree murder. The police didn't feel there was enough evidence to convict. They were right.

It's not that complicated and really has nothing to do with the race of the accused or the victim.

But if you'd like to discuss the racial aspects of this case, we can talk about the diversion program implemented by former Chief Hurley of the Miami-Dade School Police to lower crime rate numbers for black students. Or we can discuss the the Federal hate crimes case that is going nowhere due to lack of ANY evidence. But I'm not going to respond to your factless accusations against me. Because I think you're just pounding the table since the facts and law are not on your side.

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 09:59:46 AM PST

•  If he was arrested there would be an arrest report (1+ / 0-)
                            Tonedevil

He was not arrested. You are conflating two different things. He was detained. When you are detained you also aren't allowed to leave. You obviously don't understand the law.

•  And people here assuming it's all true (1+ / 0-)
      Tonedevil

even though it conforms to every damn stereotype, how predictable.

This is bullshit pushed by the right wing pure and simple.

•  There's video. (1+ / 0-)
        Be Skeptical

So no need to assume. The scope of it is in question, but it does happen.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 at 07:41:11 PM PST

•  The scope is the whole point (2+ / 0-)
          gramofsam1, Tonedevil

The center of all of this nonsense is that this is a new and rising trend. There have been a few of these attacks that have happened and suddenly everyone is lecturing black people about how they really, really need to denounce this after they already have denounced it. The scope is the entirety of the question at this point.

Yes, some young black assholes knocked out and attacked a few people and called it a game, no one disputed or defended that. No, it isn't a trend, and it wasn't 20 years ago when it was first reported. And no, no one needs to lecture black people on violence in their community yet again.

•  You're right- the idea that (1+ / 0-)
            AoT

black people have not been denouncing this, along with other violence in their community, is bullshit.

The problem is that a lot of white people never hear about the efforts within the community to push back against violence.
            That's how this becomes a no-win situation for black people- keep it in the community and the rest of the world never hears  about it. Move it out of the community and onto the public stage, and it just gives more ammunition and "evidence" to people who want to believe in black criminality.

It's a sucky and unfair situation, but I do think that statements like Al Sharpton's recent piece on huffpo help more than they harm. Nutter's press conference was pretty good too- denounce the activity but make it clear that it's "a handful" of local incidents.

•  Nutter was horrible in my opinion (1+ / 0-)
              Tonedevil

The fucking obsession with pants that people have kills me. I think it's part of the masculinity problem that we have here in the US. And I do think these asshole attacks need to be denounced. And really, there is this pervasive trope that black people just need to behave and there won't be racism anymore, but that's bullshit. That's the main issue I have here.

•  I didn't hear anything about pants (0+ / 0-)

last night- it was just a clip on local news, topic was the recent incidents, no baggy pants stuff.

•  Here's the speech I'm thinking of (0+ / 0-)

It's somewhat long so I ca see why they wouldn't show the whole thing. Here's the part that I can't stand.

And another thing. Take those doggone hoodies down, especially in the summer. Pull your pants up and buy a belt, because no one wants to see your underwear or the crack of your butt. Nobody. Buy a belt. Buy a belt. Nobody wants to see your underwear. Comb your hair -- and get some grooming skills. Comb your hair. Running round here with your hair all over the place. Learn some manners. Keep your butt in school. Graduate from high school. Go on to college so you can go and make something of yourself and be a good citizen here in this city.

And why don’t you work on extending your English vocabulary. Extend your English vocabulary beyond the few curse words that you know, some other grunts and grumbles and other things that none of us can understand what you’re saying.

And if you go to look for a job, don’t go blame it on the white folks, or anybody else. If you walk in somebody’s office with your hair uncombed and a pick in the back and your shoes untied and your pants half down, tattoos up and down your arm, on your face, on your neck, and you wonder why somebody won’t hire you. They don’t hire you because you look like you’re crazy. That’s why they’re not hiring you.

So, you do those things, and act like you got some sense, and you’d be surprised what opportunities will open up to you.

I see that part and all I can do is sigh and think, "again with the pants."
                  •  Yeah I heard about that- (1+ / 0-)
                    AoT

and some of it is ridiculous, some of it is downright offensive. He does have a point about job interviews though, and staying in school etc.

The reaction from black folks I know (I'm white so I'm no expert) was mixed. Some people were pissed, some thought he was being deliberately shocking to get the attention of kids who might otherwise tune out any advice from an old guy.

All I can say is that "get a haircut" stuff didn't work very well on kids in the sixties- at least not until it was time for job interviews. And at that point, reality kinda tells you what to do, no need for advice from the mayor.

•  For me the pants are the annoying thing (2+ / 0-)
                      gramofsam1, Tonedevil

And the fact that the speech is clearly not going to actually reach the people it's supposedly aimed at. It's actually aimed at the people who are not doing the things he's talking about and hate the things he's talking about. To some extent denouncing the sort of violence that we're talking about is the same thing. Is anyone really going to see Sharpton or Nutter saying this stuff and not go out and randomly assault people? I highly doubt it. A lack of denouncing has nothing to do with this violence happening.

But seriously, there is an obsession with pants in our society when it comes to young men. On the one side all kinds of people making fun of hipsters for tight pants and on the other hand people chiding black youth for wearing baggy pants.

•  The pants thing- (2+ / 0-)
                        AoT, Tonedevil

yeah it's silly but it just seems like a new version of the same old same old to me. I remember when bell bottoms were the mark of a DFH, and my older siblings had a thing where a buckle in the back of your pants meant something very significant which I cannot remember.

Girls are not immune though- my otherwise very sensible daughter was just asking me if she should stop letting her girls (10 and 6 yrs old) wear skinny jeans because of the whole too much emphasis on body image thing. And really all they get is compliments, they both have long slender legs and look great in them. I told her to go back to being the mom who knows what to worry about and what to ignore, and she did.