View Diary: New Gallup poll shows the same old numbers for Obamacare (52 comments)

•  I would REALLY like to see a (11+ / 0-)

breakdown of the costs of insurance for people already on the market.

All I hear is "my insurance is going up 50%" over and over again...and it's always from social media friends of friends of friends who then go on to tell me how evil the President is.

What is the truth? Is there some truth to be found anywhere?

What kind of sticker shock are people ACTUALLY, POST-SUBSIDY, APPLES-TO-APPLES, seeing?

I got a 40% reductions - was paying $1041 for myself and my wife and am now getting a BETTER plan for $602 or $639, depending on which one I choose - and that's with no subsidies at all.

•  Has there been any good reporting? (1+ / 0-)
      Calamity Jean

I have yet to see any solid reporting that backs up the claim that "millions" of policies are being cancelled.

Two things to remember:

1.  Any policy that was in effect in March 2010 was "grandfathered" under the ACA.   If it has been cancelled, that was an insurance company action and was not mandated by the ACA.

2.  So the only policies that are being cancelled as a result of the ACA are those issued since 2010.  Since policies normally follow the calendar year, that would be policies issued for 2011, 2012, and 2013.   When these policies were issued, the issuing companies knew that they were non-ACA compliant and would have to be terminated at the end of 2013.  Did they tell their customers this?  Apparently not.

•  wvmcl, Go read any (1+ / 0-)
        Cardinal Fang

progressive site other than Kos. We are the only ones not covering the cancellations. Over 5.5 Million. If you want, I can give you a list. It doesn't help us to deny this is happening.

•  And they can't get insurance now? (0+ / 0-)

Their policies were canceled (by the insurance company) and now those people are out of insurance?

That's partly a rhetorical question.  Because it's being put in that way in order to create that impression.

They can in fact still get insurance.  Whereas, before, you could be denied coverage.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Fri Dec 06, 2013 at 08:04:12 PM PST

•  If the website had worked, (2+ / 0-)
            AlexDrew, auapplemac

then they could have found out instantly if they could get better insurance elsewhere, but since that was a total clusterfuck, it opened the way for people to run around screaming that their insurance was cancelled and they didn't know what to do.

Also, the way the president went around assuring people that anyone satisfied with their insurance could keep it "period"--when even if there was no ACA, people satisfied with their insurance had to guarantee they could keep it--was just wrong. Very wrong. Especially since it was clear that the ACA would have the effect of changing things--it was supposed to change things after all, making insurance universal and "affordable" meant changing things. You can't have change and stay-the-same--one or the other, not both.

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Fri Dec 06, 2013 at 08:51:15 PM PST

•  So, AlexDrew (0+ / 0-)

Are 5.5 million people now out of health insurance because of the ACA?

I mean, their policies were cancelled, right?

Do you want to clarify so all the good people out there don't believe something that's completely false?

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Fri Dec 06, 2013 at 08:15:47 PM PST

•  If you can show me (0+ / 0-)

any other time the medical insurance industry has cancelled 5.5 million policies in a 2 month period, I will donate $1000 to a charity of your choice. So you are telling me the regular "churn" of policies in California is over 1 million a year?

I will give you my number and we can set up the donation. I live in SF. 5.5 Million. Junk policies? For sure.

•  The insurance companies chose to do that (0+ / 0-)

It was their prerogative.  I'm not surprised they cancelled policies left and right because of the ACA.  It was a big change.  For example, insurance companies can no longer deny a person health care insurance simply because of the so-called (and deeply immoral) "pre-existing" conditions.  How many people did the insurance companies bankrupt?  And now you're surprised they are trying to kill the ACA?  Not me.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 11:01:08 AM PST

•  What Alice said (0+ / 0-)
            especially since it was clear that the ACA would have the effect of changing things--it was supposed to change things after all, making insurance universal and "affordable" meant changing things

I do not disagree with the cancellations, but we must confront why they are happening politically so we can offer a different narrative. We have to be grownups. Please leave the Kos cocoon for an hour and you will see what I am talking about.

•  It seems obvious to me (0+ / 0-)

Don't just say "they are cancelled" because that creates the false impression.

The opponents (enemies) of the ACA know this.  That's why they do it.

It's disingenuous.

The political response is to clarify ... Nobody is denied coverage now because of the ACA.  The cancellations were the decision of the insurance companies ... something they've done routinely in the past but nobody noticed until now.

Like I said.  It's obvious.  Stand up and fight back, like a self-respecting human being.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 10:55:53 AM PST

•  I keep hearing the number (0+ / 0-)

...but I have yet to see any facts to back it up.   Or any details about why these policies were cancelled.  All I've heard is anecdotes, and they usually turn out to be distorted when you look closer.

I find it very hard to believe that 5.5 million non-ACA compliant individual policies have been issued within the last three years.   If true, that is a massive failing and deception on the part of the insurance industry.

And which progressive sites are you talking about?  I read a lot of them, as well as mainstream news outlets.

•  Would really like to see, moving further, (0+ / 0-)

how many of those 5.5 million are groupons like GoBlue91.

•  Can't insurance companies cancel policies any (1+ / 0-)
        auapplemac

time they want to at the end of a contract period unless there is some kind of guaranteed renewal clause?

“The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day.” Gloria Steinem

by ahumbleopinion on Fri Dec 06, 2013 at 08:02:34 PM PST

•  Yes, they can (1+ / 0-)
          JBraden

And prior to the ACA, they could deny people coverage simply because they needed it.

The bellyachers are idiots.  They don't even value the fact that the insurance companies can no longer deny them a policy simply because they got sick before.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century