View Diary: Rushbo and other Cons react to Pope, call him Commie (173 comments)

•  There's no evidence he's going to make changes (12+ / 0-)

in Catholic theology anytime soon. But he's definitely changed the Papal style compared to the previous popes, especially that previous two.

There is a willingness to discuss decisive issues within the Church. And, I believe that he is quite sincere that the CC has to get back to advocating for economic justice.

Benedict, back when he was still Cardinal Ratzinger, was quite open to saying that the CC should cater to the socially conservative faction of the church, and if the liberals didn't like it, they could just leave. He believed that the CC would be better off smaller, and more conservative. I think that Francis knows that's a loser, depending on a bunch of right wing white conservatives that are rapidly dying out. He's a lot smarter and far more savvy than the Republicans. Maybe that's why they eighties don't like him,.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 08:23:51 PM PST

•  I can not judge how liberal or conservative the (7+ / 0-)

Pope is before he makes an actual move. Nice words, but would be nice to see it followed by action. I eagerly await. This guy is going to either be an empty suit or an epic historical game changer.

•  If does nothing more than encourage an atmosphere (6+ / 0-)

of open debate, this will be a vast improvement over the last three plus reactionary decades of the Catholic Church.

Where he will come out on the issues, I know not. But I honestly believe that that he will work for more transparency and openness within the Church. He seems genuinely uncomfortable with entrenched power.

I'm sure he's aware the serial sexual abusers in the church could do their thing and get away with it, because of the cone of the protection they had.

I'd really be surprised if there is not some structural changes, and Catholic officials become more accountable to the laity.

Now, as far as theological changes, I don't have any more clue than anyone else. Time will tell.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 08:42:20 PM PST

•  Yup. (3+ / 0-)
        Marko the Werelynx, TomP, elwior

This month, I'll attend Advent and midnight mass candlelight Christmas Eve services at my Catholic Lutheran Church, same as I have for years.

I really need to see more than speeches to go back.

© grover

by grover on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 12:08:20 AM PST

•  Exactly (2+ / 0-)
        RhodeIslandAspie, elwior

Actions speak louder than words.

the Pope is not going to do much of anything action-wise. and before he takes on the obvious, odious problems with capitalism, he needs to CLEAN HOUSE.

finally deal with and get rid of the child predators/rapists he has working for his sad organization.

"The 1% don't want SOLUTIONS; they've worked very hard the last four decades to get conditions the way they are now".

by Superpole on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 04:56:32 AM PST

•  That's why I'm predicting, or perhaps hoping (3+ / 0-)
          Superpole, elwior, samddobermann

that he brings accountability and transparency to the Church. Because without it, there will never be a clean house.

Pedophilia is just part of the abuse problem that has gone on. I never had a priest sexually abuse me in my years in Catholic schools, but I experienced plenty of horrendous abuse and neglect in the physical and psychological sense.

It's not that the typical Catholic official was a monster, but that they were all hard wired to do their best not to notice the monsters, even while they were enabling them.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 06:32:35 AM PST

•  Good Take, but with all due Respect (2+ / 0-)
            RhodeIslandAspie, elwior

the catholic church has zero credibility at this point. they behave like any other giant, arrogant corporation; they lawyer up and pay their victims off.

it's weak.

it's also unfortunate since there are many hard working Catholics who serve, they are in the trenches every day at the soup kitchens and providing shelter for those in need.. they are doing what Jesus advocated.

they I respect and admire.

by Superpole on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 07:02:33 AM PST

•  My point exactly. (2+ / 0-)
              Superpole, elwior

The CC has over the centuries often acted not like the moral leader of the world, but an corporation, or even a regime concerned with covering it's butt, and protecting it's short term interests. And the first step toward this - and it's only one step - is openness and accountability.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 07:22:32 AM PST

•  He has opened up the discourse and people are (6+ / 0-)

talking.

•  John XXIII opened the window to let in some fresh (5+ / 0-)

air.

Paul VI continued the reforms. And he spoke perhaps one of the most profound phrases of any Pope - "If you want peace work for justice."

There have been three decades of counter reform under John Paul II and Benedict.

Francis want to open up the window again. Let's hope it is open wide enough and long enough so people can start breathing again.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 06:36:38 AM PST