View Diary: How ACA can save lives: let’s visit my Emergency Room on Thanksgiving morning (158 comments)

•  I don't think this is true -- unless it's law in (2+ / 0-)
    Dragon5616, ladybug53

a particular state.
    There are doctors who donate their care to clinics and plenty who see at least some patients for free. Our pediatricians found Medicaid difficult to deal with so they volunteered at a homeless shelter instead, giving free care. They never mentioned any problem with insurance because of this.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 03:43:43 PM PST

•  not sure of the exact circumstances but (6+ / 0-)

it might make a difference if the doctor provides the care through a clinic or shelter, or it might have to do with a particular state or insurance company.

What my friend described to me was a situation in a particular state, where doctors experienced severe repercussions from insurance companies, and had to stop providing care without charge, which up until then they had done a lot of. The doctors still could provide care to people who could not pay, but they had to at least do their best to bill people and say that they were trying to collect on these bills.

I know this is just hearsay at this point, but I have no reason to doubt my friend's veracity. I have tried before to persuade my friend to write about this. I will post a diary about it if that becomes a reality.

If you act out of anger, the best part of your brain fails to function. - the Dalai Lama

by beverlywoods on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 03:55:05 PM PST

•  Please do. This is just more disgusting behavior (4+ / 0-)

from insurance companies and it should be made public.

by Tamar on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 06:46:02 AM PST

•  Asked my husband about this and he said (0+ / 0-)

"horseshit." He's a psychiatrist and has never had a problem with deciding not to charge a patient, nor has he seen anything from any insurance company saying this would be a problem.
        Once again -- maybe it's only in a particular state or a certain insurance company. But my husband has dealt with many different insurance companies and Medicare and Tricare and has never run into a problem with choosing to treat a patient for free.

by Tamar on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 05:49:11 PM PST

•  The "fraud" would be free care (5+ / 0-)

provided in the doc's private office or care provided in the hospital with the charges waived. Care provided under the auspices of a free clinic is legit.

-7.25, -6.26

We are men of action; lies do not become us.

by ER Doc on Thu Nov 28, 2013 at 09:18:05 PM PST

•  see my comment above. According to my (0+ / 0-)

husband, there's no problem with treating a patient in his private office for free (I know he's done it quite a lot).

by Tamar on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 05:51:27 PM PST

•  My doctor does it all the time... (0+ / 0-)

for my husband when he comes along for one of my appointments. I have Medicare, and until today he wasn't insured at all (well, actually Jan 1, but thank you ACA), so when he had anything crop up he had to pay full price to see her.

She'll see me for my thing, then she asks him if he has any issues, and he'll get a checkup and scripts if necessary, all under just my Medicare copay.

I think it depends on how human and humane the doctor in question is.