View Diary: Are We Wal-Mart? (110 comments)

•  If we didn't have Walmart we'd have Target or any (19+ / 0-)

one of a dozen other big box super efficient groceries plus everything else stores. Walmart already is us.

We need to change the rules that allow Walmart to do what they do. Complaining about how mean and nasty they are won't do it.

The pro labor laws have been very few and far inbetween. We've been turning into Walmart since 1980, it didn't happen over night.

“Conservation… is a positive exercise of skill and insight, not merely a negative exercise of abstinence and caution…” Aldo Leopold

by ban nock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 06:18:39 PM PST

•  Laws.... (11+ / 0-)

....require an atmosphere which is conducive to such laws. Right now, there are extremely few members of Congress who have ever been in want and those who have, have forgotten what it was like.
      Laws come to pass because of public action - mass public action. This gets publicity and this is a language even Congressmen can understand.
      Another way of doing things is to form political parties big enough to get publicity. Occupy was a small start. In Europe, the Greens are doing some interesting things. I am registered as an Independent and, if there were a viable Socialist Party, I would hold my nose and join it since I know what kind of nutcases I'll bump into.

Don't believe eveything you think.

by boguseconomist on Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 09:19:42 PM PST

•  I don't think the other big box stores are as bad (3+ / 0-)

K-Marts around here are union, their workers get a decent wage and benefits. I like to shop there.  I don't like Target, but I don't think their workers are starving like the ones at WalMart. No one better tell me that WalMart people are not starving, if there are food drives for them, they are hungry if not starving.

Where are all the jobs, Boehner?

by Dirtandiron on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 07:24:05 AM PST

•  Many people at many stores and restaurants are (1+ / 0-)
        Dirtandiron

doing very poorly. Jobs that used to support a family have fallen a long way. Most working people are close to or below poverty. Almost every chain restaurant, many many big boxes.

by ban nock on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 06:30:44 PM PST

•  Laws get changed because (5+ / 0-)

People like you and me and him, and many more of us "sit around and complain about it". More and more people pick up on it and complain.  We organize walk-outs, and rallies and petitions.  Without the complaining, you short circuit the entire process, and the necessary change never happens.  Rules don't change themselves.  Nobody expects change to happen overnight.  People have been protesting Walmart since the 1980's, too.  At lat we're beginning to see some movement towards change.  And the nature of change is that it starts slow and gatherers momentum.  I expect that in another few years we will reach a tipping point and get at least some of the change we're demanding.  Unless we all listen to you tell us that its useless to complain.

•  I'll tell you what I see changing- (4+ / 0-)

I now hear Republicans and especially Libertarians complain about Walmart. They've suddenly caught on to the fact that Walmart's refusal to pay a living wage is costing them money.

When Walmart workers need food assistance and medicaid and housing subsidies, and when those things are paid for with the sacred "my tax dollars", the role of Walmart in screwing things up becomes finally apparent to them.

I've had several Libertarian family members come to the conclusion that we should raise the minimum wage because of this, and I don't much care that their reasons are not my reasons, I'm just glad they came to that conclusion.

•  most libertarians I know are very rich, inheritors (0+ / 0-)

they look down their nose at Walmart because poor people go there and work there. I'm sure their motivations are nothing like those libertarians you know.

by ban nock on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 06:35:07 PM PST

•  I'd just like to see more than complaining (0+ / 0-)

I'd like to see a minimum wage that matches productivity.

by ban nock on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 06:32:33 PM PST

•  I'm pretty sure you won't have seen (1+ / 0-)
          ban nock

Anyone here  suggesting that just complaining is the answer. Most of us agree that a hike in the minimum wage is a necessary part of fixing the Walmart problem.  I'm not real sure just what it is that you're driving at.  Are you complaining that there's too much, or not enough complaining?  Are you suggesting that change is too fast, or too slow?  The only thing that comes through in your comments is that you think we're doing it wrong.  A little positivity and helpfulness might be more effective.

•  It's too slow and I've been waiting all my life (0+ / 0-)

it never seems to happen, I've lost hope change is coming.

It started with Reagan and even though the economy picked up under Clinton things still headed in a bad direction for those of us working on the south side of middle class and the safety net got holes in it. With bush we dug ourselves such a deep hole economically that I was sure they'd have to raise taxes to get us out but no, we just cut services.

Obama brought health care but I don't see any relief for people working the Walmart economy. It has spread throughout a large portion of our population. We don't make anything, there are no jobs that pay worth a damn.

by ban nock on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 06:48:30 AM PST