View Diary: WYFP- 2 Memorials and a Thanksgiving (96 comments)

•  That's one of the perils of country living... (9+ / 0-)

...we will have to get used to, along with well water, a septic system, hauling our own garbage to the transfer station, etc.

I can hardly wait!

•  Are you building or buying? If you are building - (6+ / 0-)

dig the deepest well you can afford and put in the trickest septic you can afford. As far apart from each other as possible. If you are buying - make sure to do due diligence on the well - hire a local water guy and the same on the septic. Check with the county you are in. Out here in CA - new septic regulations are coming down the pike. And that is a WHOLE nother story!!!

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 08:08:46 PM PST

•  Building, and the septic system isn't... (8+ / 0-)

...in yet. However, we have a lot of space for the system, and the house is situated near the top of a hill, so no problems there. Gravity all the way.

I wish we had gotten the well drilled and power hooked up, since it cost us extra for the contractor to bring in water and a poratble generator to mix the special concrete mortar for the dome. Assuming we can afford the second smaller dome for my workshop after unloading our crumbling bungalow in Chicago, building that should be easier.

As for the county, we've already consulted with them WRT the septic system, since we moved the location of the house to accomodate the future wind turbine location, and had to set up a new leach field location. They hooked us up with a good soils man for that.

•  Good stuff. We learned way more than we wanted (6+ / 0-)

too after buying a lot in Lake Don Pedro. We had actually begun the motions of building a house out there when the business blew up and we ended up taking it over. Tuolumne county decided to start fucking with land owners about septic systems. Overall, it was a way to deny growth. We fought and fought and finally got a septic system approved. But it was far more expensive than we initially thought.

Here is an interesting article from the pro-regulation crowd

PCF foundation

And another... Rural counties bristle at septic regs

I am all for clean water. But the bullshit we went through over our lot was over the top. There is a decided anti-growth contingent up there. Which would be fine except - Lake Don Pedro is a permitted subdivision in Tuolumne County! LOL!!

IMHO - it was a huge mistake to buy that lot.Obviously, we didn't know Eddo's was going to fall apart and we would have to take it over, but I will never buy a lot again. I'll just buy a house and fix the sonofabitch to be what I want if necessary. The lot - we still own it. And the blueprints for the house and the paid school taxes and the permitted plans for the septic. But I frankly doubt we will build that house. At least with school taxes paid/septic approved it will be easier to sell when the market comes back up there.

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 08:55:53 PM PST

•  And have the water tested!!! Mostly, homeowners (7+ / 0-)

do not have to have their water tested. We are classified as a transient non-community water system. Our water must be tested monthly for for coliform. Other tests must be performed on a yearly or bi-annual basis. Arsenic, nitrates etc.... even if you do not have to do this - it is a good thing to know. The EPA is tightening up limits all the time. When we first got here - I believe up to .09 PPM coliform was ok. Now - zero!

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 08:36:21 PM PST

•  Um, I'm a former Health Department employee... (6+ / 0-)

...too, so I know about all that stuff.

•  what does it cost to drill a well (4+ / 0-)

on average and are there water testing kits, who really test everything including radioactivity? Do I have to get permissions to be able to drill a well if the lot is zoned for agricultural use?

•  Well YMMV, out here in CA a 4" drill casing (4+ / 0-)

depending on how far you have to go will be 50-75K. I would imagine that most everywhere, you will need a permit to drill a well. In fact, most states (unbelievably, CA does not) mandate that you have a flow meter to monitor how many gallons you are pumping. Yes - there are companies on the internet that will sell you testing kits. And no, I would not use them. To correctly sample water - is a bit more involved than turning on the tap and filling a bottle. If I was testing to buy a property, I would contact a local testing company.

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 09:38:26 PM PST

•  oh, I didn't expect it to be that expensive ... (5+ / 0-)

... I want my own water... I guess I could do pretty professionally the testing of water ... digging up long buried chemical knowledge, if I were allowed to do so myself.

Sigh. It's either a well or an already existing stream I would want ... Why is life so darn complicated that you can't even get the simplest things done, like owning your own water? :-)

•  At the risk of starting a topic that has been a (6+ / 0-)

heated discussion for like forever! Here in CA nobody "owns" water. It is part of the public trust doctrine. In a simplified form, public trust means that you take what you need and pass it along. Then there is riparian rights. That means that you live on a river, lake, stream and you can avail yourself of that water. But only what you need for beneficial use. In CA there are pre 1914 and post 1914 riparian/appropriative rights. (Notice the legal language creeping into this).

And this is where I give up

I would advise taking two aspirin and something liquid that is much stronger prior to reading this. The hubbie has a much stronger understanding of this than I do. I do know that we have pre-1914 riparian rights as we are situated on the San Joaquin River. I also know, that the sonsabees that are pushing the BDCP are down in the desert and they only have Jr. water rights - which means you suck hind teat unless there is "surplus" water. But they have planted trees and want to jump past riparian rights holders. Why? Coz they have a lot of money and influence. And I am done with this topic tonight because it just pisses me off! ;)

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 10:08:47 PM PST

•  oh wow ... I need to reed that tomorrow morning (5+ / 0-)
                    ek hornbeck, Chi, nchristine, JeffW, mrsgoo

too many things I have no idea of what they mean.

I just became pretty "unhappy" about the fact that on Hawaii most land gets condominionized, even the agricultural land in a sense that you have to pay water to a private entity (haven't quite understood how and what that means, but I will), it's not county water. So, beyond taxes on the land you have to pay for water and I don't see how the price of that water is determined. And even solar panels you have to pay now some middleman and can't just plain out own your own installation and use your own electricty without feeding into a grid and paying something for that access. It's too complicated to dig into before I am at a point I really can buy a lot of my interest, but I feel so darn not free in this country.

•  You will need to do your due diligence in buying a (0+ / 0-)

property. It isn't the wild west anymore. You cannot just buy a piece of dirt and think that you own the air and water on it.  Does not work that way. Now - if you want to employ ways to trap runoff and use it - you can go for it. Please keep us posted on your adventure.

by mrsgoo on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 10:41:45 PM PST

•  Yes, CA is complicated and usually above the.... (4+ / 0-)
                    ek hornbeck, nchristine, JeffW, mrsgoo

trend line for safety, but most states have common sense guidelines to go by.  GO BY THE STATE RULES AND REGULATIONS , OSHA is for worker health and safety and does not apply to homeowners.  I can help with site navigation if ya need it....but I am guessing you won't....

"A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered." Ralph Waldo Emerson

by Yo Bubba on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 05:37:24 AM PST

•  Well then you sure don't need me harping on ya! ;) (4+ / 0-)

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 09:31:54 PM PST

•  Wot? No private road you're responsible (6+ / 0-)

for maintaining? You don't know country living 'til you've got that.

Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.--Sam Rayburn

by Ice Blue on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 09:07:34 PM PST

•  LOL!!! heehee yep, you win! DH's RWNJ BFF has (6+ / 0-)

that situation. I love driving to his house. That road makes our piece of shit look good!

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 09:14:23 PM PST

•  We have a driveway... (5+ / 0-)

...and I'd give you the address, but Google Maps points to a spot north of our property. I'll have to take a screenshot, and try to figure out how to insert it into a comment from the Image Library.

•  I just wanna see photos of the house! ;) From slab (6+ / 0-)

to topping mud and paint. I think it would make a great WYFP series! 'Coz if you're building something - you are gonna have FP's! And I really do love watching things get built. It goes so slow for so long and then bang! Time for paint. Electrical and plumbing seem to go on forever. Then when you hang the sheetrock - It's done! Oh hell no it's not! Then it slows down again. Flooring and trim is another slow patch. But it's all fun in the end.

by mrsgoo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 at 09:31:01 PM PST