View Diary: Televangelist Grifter Paul Crouch, founder of TBN, dead at 79. (91 comments)

•  Getting Away With It (0+ / 0-)

When we forget about these crooks who were never punished, stopped, or even stood up to in life, they're just getting away with it.

I'm glad when bad people die. Almost as glad as if they change before they die.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 04:13:40 PM PST

•  as Booker T Washington says, (1+ / 0-)
      MyLifeInKenya

"I would permit no man...to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him."

YMMV of course.

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 05:01:04 PM PST

•  Sure, Sure (0+ / 0-)

You don't hate anyone. Right.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 07:53:21 PM PST

•  The last person I genuinely hated (0+ / 0-)

was a wife beater and molester who died about ten years ago.

I learned how much of a dark cloud that hate can add to my psyche after he stopped existing to be hated. (Even at his funeral, which I did not attend, the officiant apparently knew what a loathsome individual he was and used the example of his life as a 'there but for the grace of God' message.) Won't do that any more. People who I find to be truly loathsome I will seek to avoid or to protect others from the harm they cause, but hating them just welcomes them into my head to live, rent free.

by raptavio on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 07:58:09 PM PST

•  I Do (0+ / 0-)

Well, I hate some people who are alive, and some who are dead. I get an energy from it. Maybe it's a NY thing. When I lived in California I didn't hate anyone.

But the hatred I have for people like Crouch doesn't weigh on me at all. Only people I know personally.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 08:08:05 PM PST

•  I hear you. (1+ / 0-)
              MyLifeInKenya

Don't get me wrong; it's fun and cathartic to have a good scrap or row now and then, and sometimes it's good and satisfying to stand for things you believe in against people who oppose those things. But I just find actual hate to be toxic.

When my cousin was killed in Iraq six years ago, it was actually odd to me that I didn't feel hate for anyone... not for the insurgency, not for GW Bush, not even for whatever insurgents made or planted the IED that burned his body and took his life. I hated the war itself, the stupidity, the futility of it all.

But not directing my hate at people, it actually freed me to feel the sadness of the loss and come to terms of that, rather than hide behind my rage at any of the people who directly or indirectly caused his death.

I guess this is all a roundabout way of explaining why I don't like diaries like this. I don't like seeing people feed that beast. I don't believe it does anyone any good.

by raptavio on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 08:17:35 PM PST

•  Kinds of Hate (0+ / 0-)

Having practiced hatred of people enough over the years, I've got some nuanced degrees of it. I don't (and didn't) hate this Crouch jerk that deeply, because I mainly hate what he stands (stood) for, which though a visceral reaction is still an intellectual exercise. I hated the person who almost killed me in the passing lane last week, but I let it go after a few hours. I hated some ex business partners who tried to rob me of what we'd worked together to build for years, and it took me years to stop hating them so much I'd liked to have punched them, but it turned to pity and just a little bitterness. Each of those different kinds of residual hatred oriented me to protect myself better, even aggressively/offensively, from others like them.

I think people feeling good when a bad person dies, sharing their good feelings they're gone, is a good way to wrap up the bad feelings they had while that person lived. And to take the edge off the bad feelings we still have for their ilk who yet live and inflict their badness on us.

If you really don't hate, as opposed to just living in denial of repressed hatred, and incorporate the lessons to protect yourself, that's quite an achievement. I suppose I'll have to take a while longer to achieve it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 08:57:02 PM PST

•  It's really not that difficult actually. (2+ / 0-)
                  MyLifeInKenya, DocGonzo

To steal and repurpose a quote from Al Pacino, hate is just a bag of bricks. All you gotta do is put it down.

I'll stop with the lecturing before I go too much farther into moralist land. I've tread too far into that territory already; for that I apologize.

FWIW, I don't judge people for feeling hatred; do do such a thing would be to deny their reality and their experiences.

by raptavio on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 09:05:13 PM PST

•  I don't like to think of it as hate (1+ / 0-)
        Egalitare

so much as "very strong dislike".

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 08:33:55 PM PST

•  If you're celebrating a death (0+ / 0-)

then it's hate. Just sayin'.

by raptavio on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 08:51:51 PM PST

•  You don't have to hate someone to celebrate (0+ / 0-)

their death. Maybe you just love their (former) victims.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Dec 01, 2013 at 09:23:24 PM PST

•  Let me put it this way. (0+ / 0-)

Do I hate Paul Crouch? Well, maybe a little.

I mostly hate what he did - making billions of dollars by bilking little old ladies out of their Social Security checks, so yeah. I clicked New Diary and wrote some unkind things about him to mark his death.

So, maybe some of it is hate, though I wouldn't describe myself as obsessing. I wrote my diary and I'm moving on.

Perhaps it's also getting the word out about the scam that is televangelism, that has survived Crouch's demise. The TBN is big business. Every corner of the country has at least half a dozen Jesus channels spewing TBN garbage and inviting you to get out your credit card and call that toll-free number, thanks to Crouch.

•  I don't celebrate anybody's death (0+ / 0-)

But some people the world is better off without.

I may not celebrate his death but I won't waste any tears either.

by Major Kong on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 07:19:35 AM PST