View Diary: Moondai Furbutts Holidaze, We Haz 'Em 2 December 2013 (173 comments)

•  So it is the tannic acid, then! That makes a (5+ / 0-)

lot of sense.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed....all four on the same day....my dentist used clove oil to help heal my gums.  I told him I appreciated the effort but I was craving a ham sandwich!  Maybe that was the drugs talking tho'! :-)

Isn't it neat how many of the "old" remedies really do work well...and without too much risk of bad reactions.  All the crap (sorry, but it is) that is advertised on tv these days...dear goddess, but the warnings sound worse than the ailment!!  No thanks.

drat.  Now I want a ham sandwich...and a cup of tea!

:-)

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 06:34:25 PM PST

•  Amazing how many old remedies work (2+ / 0-)
      The Marti, Ninepatch

Aspirin came from willow bark.  Digitalis from the foxglove plant (small amount is a medicine; large amount is fatal).  Colchicine, made from the autumn crocus, was first mentioned 1500 BCE and it's used for some kind of a Mediterranean illness and for gout (small amount is a medicine, large amount is toxic, even fatal - don't get me started on the Hatch Waxman Act as a result of how that affected the manufacture of generic colchicine vs the three-year monopoly one pharmaceutical corporation now has on it after trumped up DEA testing and adding food coloring and the price went from .09 cents per little white generic tablet to over $4.85 per little oblong purple tablet which people who are allergic to food dyes can't take).

Chamomile tea relieves menstrual cramps for some women.  Raspberry leaf tea was given to women in labor because it had some mild properties that worked on smooth muscle tissue like a uterus.

Vinegar is an all-around non-toxic cleaner and the antibacterial properties are more effective than the highly irritating to respiratory systems and are poisonous, some even carcinogenic, chemicals in things like Pine Sol and Lysol, etc.  They used to use vinegar to clean hospital floors and beds, etc., in olden times.

Mix vinegar with baking soda and you've got a foamy concoction that cleans clothes or pots and pans.  Vinegar does the same with perfume-&-dye-free Oxy-Clean.  Vinegar alone in a laundry rinse instead of fabric softener removes soap residue; ditto if used after shampooing hair.  [If someone accidentally leaves bleach in a toilet bowl, the ammonia from urine can cause a toxic cloud of poison from the ammonia and chlorine being mixed that's always fatal.]

Baking soda in a fridge absorbs odors.  A thin layer of baking soda lining the bottom of a litter box over which plain unscented cheap litter is added soaks up urine and forms clumps which can then be lifted with a pooper scooper to a little trash bag by the litter box, right along with the solid waste, and litter thus lasts longer and one's home does not smell like a litter box.  [I buy the largest box of soda available for use in the litter box and have a little box in the cupboard for baking purposes just in case the large box becomes contaminated somehow.]

In any case, knowing what our forebears used for non-toxic products, or which plants they used for treating health ailments makes for very interesting historical data when one does genealogy research.

:-D

by NonnyO on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 07:25:43 PM PST

•  As I said elsewhere earlier today...I always learn (2+ / 0-)
        Ninepatch, NonnyO

things here!!  (It helps to hang out with the smart kids!)

Some of these I knew...especially about white vinegar.  Even cider vinegar, especially if it has the...is it "mother"? residue in it...is very beneficial.

My mum taught me the vinegar and baking soda trick...I thought she could do magic!!  To this day, I'm not so sure she couldn't.

Does this mean you're keeping your little "guest"??  I might've missed it if you mentioned it in the last week or so...it's been a little weird around here!

:-)

by The Marti on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 07:43:47 PM PST

•  :-) My little Ceiling Cat... (2+ / 0-)
          Creosote, The Marti

... with the celadon green eyes went back to her people.  Then... she allegedly meowed so much the apartment manager told them they couldn't keep her.  The "owners" thought she missed me and that's why she meowed.

Ergo, she's back with me by default only a little over a week after she was taken back by them.  She only occasionally meows (not that loud either) when she's talking to me as I feed her or give her fresh water, but is otherwise silent.

She was so quiet when she stayed with me those couple of months I couldn't believe the comment that she meowed too much in the new apartment.

Or ... I was lied to about their being able to have pets and they tried to sneak her in and someone heard her and reported it.  I have no clue who the apartment manager is, so I've never talked with them to find out the truth of the matter.

She's "My Good Girl" and that may be her more common nickname now since that's also what I call her when she's sitting on my lap or draped across my lap, purring, or laying beside me or in front of me, and I'm running a comb or a brush through her fur or giving her chin scritches.  Her newest change in the last couple of weeks is that she sprawls on the floor behind me when I'm cooking or at the sink or in front of the fridge and has me trained with loud purring noises to scritch her belly (no grabs with her back claws; former people had her declawed, the heartless bastages).  I fear for her safety behind me because she does not meow to let me know she's there; she just sits with her paws curled in or lays all sprawled out, and I was without a feline so long I am no longer used to doing things like shuffling my feet along to avoid stepping on toes or tail.

:-)  She's quite the Good Girl and I adore her.  [Shhhh....  Don't tell her that.  She will try to get me to spoil her.  ;-D  Really.  I don't spoil her.  You do believe me, don't you?]

by NonnyO on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 02:10:31 AM PST

•  so very glad that your "Good Girl" is back with (1+ / 0-)
            NonnyO

you...where she so obviously belongs!!!

Perhaps she did 'meow' her head off when she went back to those other people.  It's been known to happen.

I read a few years ago that when a cat lies (and they all do, the stinkers!) in the middle of a room, it means they trust the human they live with.  Most cats prefer their nooks and comfy spots.  I've never had a cat that didn't sprawl out in the middle of the floor from time to time...either the living room or kitchen, as a rule.

Your secret is safe with me, but I must warn you....HLOS had begun reading over my shoulder lately and I do not trust him to keep your secret!!  He'll tell the birds, who then tell the squirrels....the next thing you know...EVerybody knows!

soft scritches to your GG and hugs to you!
            Marti

by The Marti on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 09:08:32 AM PST

•  Oh, Dear.... That sounds like a ... (1+ / 0-)
              The Marti

...Cat-spiracy!  n' Gee Whiz!  Coercing other animals to participate in it and blab secrets in many languages?

Tsk, tsk, tsk!  I must be careful what I write.  ;-)

Yes, I had several kitties who sprawled in the middle of floors..., but that was out in the open where I could see them.  This is with my back turned in a small space and she quietly pads over behind me without a sound and lays down.  There are a couple of chairs she could lay on to still watch, but so far it's the quiet laying down in back of my feet that has almost gotten her stepped on (and me tripped) because I didn't hear her come up behind me.

{{{Hugs}}} back to you, HLOS & your fur kin!

by NonnyO on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 09:58:56 AM PST

• Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Education (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site