View Diary: Can football-loving progressives object to Walmart Thanksgiving work? (70 comments)

•  It's a good question. (1+ / 0-)
    doctor o

And a good question deserves a good answer. So here's my take, for better or worse.

For the pros, for what they make, I'd work any holiday they want.

The college athletes are something else. Yes, they do get a scholarship, but absolutely no pay. The best of them are in effect professionals, the football equivalent of baseball's minor leagues, usually playing for big time conferences and help to rake in cash for the colleges, but they themselves are not supposed to be paid for their work. The coach get get more than a college president. The colleges can take in the green. The student workers who sell hot dogs can even make a little money. But the talent cannot are the only ones that don't get paid. Remember, very few of these college players will make the pros, so it's not like they've all got big contracts to look forward to down the line.

You didn't mention high schoolers. Those Thanksgiving rivalries are a much loved tradition, but isn't there a better way to for teenagers to spend their Thanksgiving than banging heads on the football field? I'd hate to be a high school football player, or part of his family, who gets clobbered bad enough on a Thanksgiving game to spend part or all of the holiday in the hospital.

And let's get back to the pros. While I wouldn't object to working holidays if I made that kind of money, I am concerned about Thursday games. Three days rest is not enough for such a contact collision sport modern pro football is.

No, I'm not a football basher. The Patriots are number one in football for me, and my second favorite are those socialists in Green Bay. But I ask myself, as I guiltily watch these games (A Thanksgiving highlight for me is to root for who ever is playing against Dallas, unless a Dallas victory will help my Pats.) is shouldn't this holiday be about family and friends getting together? Shouldn't family and friends who don't often see each other be bonding with each other instead of genuflecting to the game on the tube? I'm actually happy to see my Pats not playing on Thursday.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 11:41:01 AM PST

•  You are assuming that they (2+ / 0-)
      jayden, Dirtandiron

and their families find something wrong with it.  The Detroit Lions I think would be offended if they didn't play on Thanksgiving because they have done it for so long.  It's about tradition and such and of course if they want different traditions, they can say so.

•  Actually, I'm not making a blanket assumption. (0+ / 0-)

Every situation is different. For the crowd I was with on Thanksgiving  we were all into watching the Cowboys-Raiders game, so it worked out well for all of us, other than the fact that Dallas won. But what about situations where there is a split between people who love football and people that don't like it. And the fans crowd around the TV, and the rest of the people go into anther room?

And let's suppose these people I were with were people I could only see one every year or so. Is it possible that the game, even if we were all into it, just might take away from the amount of interaction we might be having with each other?

One game is a guilty pleasure, but does there really need to be three NFL games in a row on Thanksgiving? I do admit, though, if I had any dog in the fight in every game, I'd watch all three.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 01:05:53 PM PST

•  It's all about choice. (0+ / 0-)
          Pretty much, yeah. Just like when one group of people wants to watch The Sound of Music, or listen to jazz records, or gather around the piano and sing Christmas carols, and another group doesn't. As with most activities, people choose whether to watch football or not; those who don't want to watch football don't have to.

If you're going to suggest ending Thanksgiving football because some people might want to watch it and other people might not, then you should really be calling for all TV channels, streaming video websites, and radio stations to go dark for that 24-hour period, because all of those things carry with them the possibility that some people might want to watch/listen to something that other people don't.

If you want to interact more with the people you're seeing at Thanksgiving, then that's your choice. Feel free to turn the football game off at your family's Thanksgiving.

But by suggesting that Thanksgiving Day football should be ended because you think people should be interacting more with one another, you're trying to impose your choice and your beliefs about what the holiday "should be about" on everyone, whether they want it or not.

There are many people who would choose differently, whether it's because they aren't with anyone on Thanksgiving, or because they bond with certain friends or family members over football, or because they just want to watch the game more than they want a greater amount of interaction with people.

Please respect their right to make their own choices.

by JamesGG on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 01:24:35 PM PST

•  Where did I say Thanksgiving football (0+ / 0-)

should be ended? Did I say the NFL should stop having games Thanksgiving games? Did I say that they should not be allowed to be broadcast?

I said that three was a bit much in my opinion, and yet admitted that I'll watch three games if I have an interest in them.

Making a social commentary about too much football is not the same as saying I want to put a stop to it, or a claim that I am not interested in it. Maybe I'd like to see society change where big time sports wasn't as important, but that's not the same as saying that it want to take away people's choice.

I think we eat far too much meat in this country, both in terms of our health, and in terms of sustainability of the planet. For that, would you accuse me of wanting to take away people's right to eat meat? Hell, I plead guilty to be one of the overconsumers of meat.

If I wanted Thanksgiving football to end and end now, I'd say it.

While we are talking about choice and football, wouldn't many fans like games on Saturday and Friday? The government says that it can't happen. It's not actually banned, but the broadcasting of professional football is banned on Fridays and Saturdays until the regular college and high school season is over as not to provide competition so the games won't draw fans away from college and high school games. And without broadcasting, there will be no NFL games. Now that's an attack on the choice of football fans.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 02:09:11 PM PST

•  this has nothing to do with who controls the remot (0+ / 0-)

The question  is should those of us who bash Walmart for forcing people to work on Thanksgiving also bash college football teams for forcing their players to play - without pay - on Thanksgiving.  It has nothing to do with what people watch. It is what principles you support.

The best gift you can give your friends is your friends.

by doctor o on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 04:29:03 PM PST

•  The Detroit Lions area pro team (0+ / 0-)

and they get paid.  College players don't.

The best gift you can give your friends is your friends.

by doctor o on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 04:26:53 PM PST

•  I like the way you think (0+ / 0-)

but, even for the pro money, I wouldn't give yup a holiday to risk a concussion

The best gift you can give your friends is your friends.

by doctor o on Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 04:25:47 PM PST