View Diary: White male college students refuse to learn about racism, get teacher disciplined (130 comments)

•  well we agree on the "ridiculous" part. (1+ / 0-)
    Victor Ward

The problem with demonization is that the demonized often become demonic ... and so it goes.

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 11:26:15 AM PST

•  Who was demonized? (6+ / 0-)

Or are you saying that it's pointing out white people's racism that causes racism.

If knowledge is power and power corrupts, does that mean that knowledge corrupts?

by AoT on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 11:30:42 AM PST

•  "pointing out white people's racism" (1+ / 0-)
        Victor Ward

Not all white people are racist.

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 11:43:02 AM PST

•  I didn't say that all white people were racist (2+ / 0-)
          Heavy Mettle, Tonedevil

I said "white people's racism."

And again, where are these supposedly demonized people?

by AoT on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 11:46:41 AM PST

•  Sorry if I took your comment wrong , (1+ / 0-)
            Victor Ward

but I am sensitive to broad brushes.  If yours was not meant broadly then please accept my apology.
               It is often assumed that racism is a white only thing.  I don't accept that.  Nor do I accept the idea of white "privilege".
               The privileged are the 1%.

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 12:04:32 PM PST

•  ?? (12+ / 0-)
              Nor do I accept the idea of white "privilege".
              Unfortunately the privilege doesn't require your acceptance to exist. There are constant examples of said privilege happening  every hour of every day.

When I search for makeup I know any color labeled as "natural" is for white women only.  I know that "nude" pantyhose is for white women only.  I know that "clear" deodorant will leave a white film under my arms.

I also know that the police are not there to help me.  If I get stopped, I know they could riddle me with holes without any consequences stronger than slightly negative press and a long paid vacation.

I could go on and on.  Evidently you've never seen those hidden camera shows where they send white and black shoppers into car dealerships and real estate offices to see racism in action.  Regardless, the privilege you don't accept continues.

Nothing is so bad as something that is "not so bad"!

by Free2bMe on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 12:22:10 PM PST

•  Amen n/t (3+ / 0-)

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 12:26:32 PM PST

•  I am a middle aged non degreed blue collar (1+ / 0-)
                johnny wurster

unemployed white male.  Where do I go to get my white privilege benefits.  Barney's doesn't want me shopping there any more than you.

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 12:42:13 PM PST

•  So then you regularly get followed (2+ / 0-)
                  Heavy Mettle, Tonedevil

by store security?

And do you really think you'd get arrested for buying something from Barney's?

by AoT on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 12:46:09 PM PST

•  I saved my money once and went to an upscale (0+ / 0-)

jewelry store after work ( land surveying ) to get a wrist watch serviced  I was met at the door by an armed guard at the door who escorted me during my whole visit.  I did not feel welcome.
                    Privilege comes from car, clothes, connections, and cash, not so much from race, at least not always.

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 01:01:43 PM PST

•  And you weren't arrested. (5+ / 0-)

You gave one example of getting followed.

And there most certainly is classism in this country, don't get me wrong. That's what you experienced being followed around that store, but racism is also a thing. They can both exist and just because you don't have class privilege doesn't mean you can't have race privilege.

by AoT on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 01:09:32 PM PST

•  You been followed 100s of times, even in five and (2+ / 0-)
                      Tonedevil, Heavy Mettle

dime stores, or every kind of store? Ever had the cops come in and search you and your children in front of everyone, before you left the store? But if you don't know these things happen, then you could care less anyway. So what does it matter to you.

•  I'm so glad you know what it's like to be a POC (1+ / 0-)
                      Heavy Mettle

You didn't feel welcome once? Now multiple that by years and number of incidents.
                      And speaking of not feeling welcome: women still cannot break into the trades b/c of sexism. We are NOT welcome, and face such harassment it's not worth it.

"We got a two for one affirmative action hire when we hired a black woman"  (Overheard one day by me)
                      That's the mindset and reality everyone the rest of us face, and the fact when one of us mess up, it reflects on all of us: "see what happens when you hire ___?!"
                      They're all alike! They're too much trouble to work with!

blah, blah, blah, lather, rinse, repeat

"Down with sodomy, up with teabagging!" Sign @ TeaBilly rally.

by pitbullgirl65 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 05:48:38 PM PST

•  Yes: (4+ / 0-)

In 1990, Peggy McIntosh published an  essay titled "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack."

Things haven't changed a whole lot since then.

Being the single intellectual in a village of 1,100 souls ain't much fun, especially when 1,099 of those don't think you're all that smart.--Lucy Marsden

by Miniaussiefan on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 02:55:02 PM PST

•  And this is the sort of thing (4+ / 0-)

that leads to issues like the one in the diary. Someone lays out a privilege/power view of racism, specifically structural racism, and then a bunch of white people get really defensive. You're reasonable so when I clarified you responded reasonably, but most white people don't. Most white people either shut down and walk away form the conversation or they yell and scream about how people are being racist against them. The latter is what almost certainly happened in this case.

by AoT on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 12:45:10 PM PST

•  Really, are you sure that's all? I am sure these (3+ / 0-)

racist down here in Mississippi aren't part of the 1%. And there is so much privilege i don't know where to start. I'll just say, they have white privilege in everything. Old black Mississippian and i approve my message.

•  Of course you don't (1+ / 0-)
              Heavy Mettle

You're just like the two white guys in the story.  I don't know why the %* it so hard to for white people particularly white males to be so blind to their advantages.

I'm sick to death of seeing this on diaries like this: instead of being willing to learn, you'd rather argue about how institutional racism doesn't exist.

Nor do I accept the idea of white "privilege".

"Down with sodomy, up with teabagging!" Sign @ TeaBilly rally.

by pitbullgirl65 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 at 05:33:35 PM PST