View Diary: Heck of a job, Obama, Clinton, Power, Rice! (250 comments)

•  Maybe some tweets from actual Libyans would (0+ / 0-)

be more interesting?  Like this one:

Libyan Armchair Arab ‏@ArmchairArab 3h
    @Eljarh @hananHRW @reportingLibya great achievement we are all Muslim now as if we haven't been for over 1000 years
    Or this one:
    Rida ‏@libyanproud 25m
    Rways gas terminal which was blocked by amazigh protesters has been reopened .
    Or this one:
    Rida ‏@libyanproud 2h
    @ben3ati @ArmchairArab @Eljarh its not a law but a pr statement to the public, i think in reply to Barassi who called them infidels

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 11:02:49 AM PST

•  It's hard to know (3+ / 0-)

In the Syrian "revolution" there was a massive propaganda operation, with a lot of assistance.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 11:38:20 AM PST

•  Hard to know what? (0+ / 0-)

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 12:07:48 PM PST

•  Hard to know (5+ / 0-)

who is genuine and who might be part of a propaganda operation funded by another country. I realize that you have contacts there who you know well.  I'm talking about myself -- hard to take the anecdotal tweets and know which ones are most relevant, which to ignore.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 12:37:15 PM PST

•  Ah, I see. (0+ / 0-)

Yeah, it's definitely hard to get a good grasp on what is taking place there.  The reporting on Libya is pretty shoddy in general.  I don't think our modern media is well-suited for reporting on complex, multi-facetted situations that don't fit into the classical paradigm.  The Libya Herald reporting is ok, but not enough to get a really good grasp on what is taking place.

If you know Libyans you can often tell after a while who is genuine and who is not on twitter.  They often have a certain type of humor that is easy to recognize after a while.

The ones I posted in the comment down below are all genuine, and from multiple regions in Libya, women and men.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 12:47:24 PM PST

•  I'll add them (1+ / 0-)
              Lawrence

to my twitter list.  There are two people who I know here in the US whose tweets I review every so often and they retweet things from their friends in Libya, so that's the extent of the on the ground things I read on any kind of regular basis.  And there are a few bloggers whose opinion on it I trust. One is former military intelligence and I really don't know the background of the other bloggers.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 02:11:22 PM PST

•  You might want to add Rana Jawad, as well. (0+ / 0-)

She's a BBC Reporter who knows Libya really well because she's married to a Libyan and has been living there for a decade or so:

She does some of the probably best reporting out of Tripoli that you'll see in western media.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 02:24:07 PM PST

•  I'm not likely (0+ / 0-)

to trust any establishment media from the US, UK, France, any Gulf States, or Al Jazeera on the Libyan issues, except maybe some opinion columns.  I appreciate the link though and will at least check it out.

"Justice is a commodity"