View Diary: Rand Paul: "The Most Liberal Politician In America" (289 comments)

•  Are you serious? Rand Paul is a conservative (17+ / 0-)

I know, he self-identifies as a Libertarian, but he's not some nice pro-Occupy sort of Libertarian; he's a fucking snot-nosed bigot who wants to take away a woman's right to abortion, and that's the kind of morally reprehensible action Progressives should know to stay the Hell away from. Not say "meh" to.

Click the ♥ to join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news & views written from a black pov - everyone is welcome.

by mahakali overdrive on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 06:55:20 PM PST

•  i mean rall (4+ / 0-)

paul is a right wing libertarian. he has some appeal to social libertarians who don't know or care about his views on civil rights, class warfare, environmental protection and anything else that has government serving positive ends. rall's view on paul could not be less relevant.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 07:00:23 PM PST

•  White males have no horse in the race (4+ / 0-)
      Racism and reproductive  rights are nothing more then annoying little buzzwords that harsh their squee, not real life issues that effect them.

I hope the Daily Kos doesn't morph into  Democratic Underground.  It's overrun with Libertarian Men's Rights Activists.
      It's Freeperville Lite

"Down with sodomy, up with teabagging!" Sign @ TeaBilly rally.

by pitbullgirl65 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 07:11:35 PM PST

•  Don't read it. (3+ / 0-)
        pitbullgirl65, Onomastic, bkamr

Apparently, for good reason!

by mahakali overdrive on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 07:21:44 PM PST

•  I beg to differ (13+ / 0-)

I'm a white male and both racism and reproductive rights matter to me.  Even if they don't directly impact me, they impact people I care about, and that's enough for me.  And even if they didn't impact anyone I cared about (i.e., I ONLY knew other white males, which obviously isn't true), racism and reproductive rights would STILL matter to me.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 07:57:25 PM PST

•  Do you call out bigotry and sexism? (1+ / 0-)
          Mark Mywurtz

Your words and actions carry more weight then mine or POC, with other white men.

As I said below, the men  at Democratic Underground almost never spoke up for us, even with jokes about lynching, and the overwhelmingly vicious attacks against women, even on the feminist threads.

And these are supposed to be liberals?

p.s. A hale and hearty fuck you Skinner,  you racist woman hating prick.

"Down with sodomy, up with teabagging!" Sign @ TeaBilly rally.

by pitbullgirl65 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 12:38:48 PM PST

•  I try to (0+ / 0-)

It may be that I don't always recognize it, but I think I usually do.  I don't tend to hang out with wingers, so it's not like I'm dealing with blatant statements every day to call out.  I've had family members say some questionable things, and since they're family I don't tend to respond, "Fuck you, racist/sexist prick!" but more with, "Hey, that's not cool--you know that isn't true" or challenge them with some probing questions.  Though not the case with what you describe at Democratic Underground, often people say things or hold beliefs because they have heard them repeatedly and don't always recognize their own biases.  Usually a little tact is helpful in calling those out.

From a policy perspective though, I've corrected others on the race and gender implications regarding a number of issues such as 'stand your ground' laws, voter suppression, environmental racism, reproductive choice, and many other issues.

I've never been to DU, but it sounds overrun with trolls and generally a poorly-moderated place to try and have a discussion.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 01:01:02 PM PST

•  I think most people have (2+ / 0-)

some issues which affect them directly and others which don't. I'm not sure those who only care about those issues that affect them directly can be said to be progressive, particularly if those people are among the more privileged in our society.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 08:55:01 PM PST

•  Um, what? (2+ / 0-)
        Kombema, CenPhx
        You are saying this about all white males?

Could you clarify?

•  Not all, but a huge majority of them (1+ / 0-)
          poco

True Anti racist, anti sexist, anti homophobes are the exception not the rule, even here.

I was *badly triggered over at Democratic Underground by the sheer hatred  of women over there. The silence of the men who are supposed to be liberal allies was worse.

I finally left after a joke about lynching was made and the worthless fucking owner/mod/ Skinner ignored it, and ignored my complaint.

*I don't use that term very much, and I wasn't the only one who felt unwelcome.

"Down with sodomy, up with teabagging!" Sign @ TeaBilly rally.

by pitbullgirl65 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 12:28:54 PM PST