View Diary: Rep. Steve King continues to be a horrible person (68 comments)

•  Exactly WHAT About My Question (0+ / 0-)

Is racist or trollish and, for that matter, I stipulated about six years ago on this very blog that for the purposes of any comment I make regarding illegal immigration or, for that matter, immigration in general you can if it makes you feel better consider me to be the biggest racist in the world.

You see, simple ad hominem attacks only work for stupid people with no background in formal debate and no logic and critical thinking skills.

The fact that you veer off course into ad hominem land at your first opportunity only makes you look stupid, and whether I am a troll or a racist is impertinent to the question I asked.

I won't be coming home tonight, my generation will put it right - Genesis 9:3

by superscalar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 01:50:55 PM PST

•  Do you even have a point? (1+ / 0-)
      PSzymeczek

Because I must have missed it in your rant about Mexicans.

29, white male, TX-07 (current), TN-09 (born), TN-08 (where parents live now)

by TDDVandy on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 02:34:51 PM PST

•  I Specifically Asked (0+ / 0-)
        Which Of The Current Immigration Laws are bullshit and should be changed?
        It was you who wandered off, not me. As to my 'rant about Mexicans', the statistics I related are just that, statistics, but feel free to wander off into ad hominem land again and call it a 'rant' if it makes you feel better.

I won't be coming home tonight, my generation will put it right - Genesis 9:3

by superscalar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 02:43:32 PM PST

•  Accusing people of "ad hominem" attacks (1+ / 0-)
          Treetrunk

is what conservatives do when they've just been called out for being racist.

Tell me, what is it about our current immigration laws that you actually support?  That they prevent people who want to come to this country to work from doing so?

What's "bullshit" about our current immigration laws is that it creates a class of people who cannot legally work in this country, but who are hired by businesses or individuals anyway, who are then free to ignore labor and minimum wage laws because the workers are too afraid of being deported that they won't report such violations.  Granting some sort of legal status would actually do a lot to level the playing field because it would take away a lot of the tacit advantages to hiring undocumented workers.

But, go ahead and argue that the current immigration laws aren't really a massive benefit for the 1 percent by creating a class of people whom they are free to exploit without fear of retribution (especially when they'll only get a slap on the wrist while claiming they didn't know the workers were illegal.)

29, white male, TX-07 (current), TN-09 (born), TN-08 (where parents live now)

by TDDVandy on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 03:11:54 PM PST

•  I Accused You Of An Ad Hominem (0+ / 0-)

Attack because that's what it was, and I already told you, if you want to call me a racist, fine, call me a racist, you want to call me a republican, a conservative, whatever, fine, call me what you want. The mere fact that you called me a racist or a republican or a conservative, doesn't nullify anything I have written, and it doesn't make you right and makw me wrong, it just gives you something convenient to write when you can't think of anything more intelligent.

I will make this my last post in this diary and take from your comment that what you consider 'bullshit immigration law' is the fact that 'it creates a class of people who cannot legally work in this country'.

In other words, if somebody enters the country illegally, the fact that the U.S. doesn't immediately grant them legal status followed by citizenship is 'bullshit immigration law' -- to which I can only respond to by writing -- 'ummmm okay'.

I won't be coming home tonight, my generation will put it right - Genesis 9:3

by superscalar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 04:03:12 PM PST

•  In other words (1+ / 0-)
              Treetrunk

you are saying that immigration laws should not be written based on reality.

The current immigration laws create a class of people who cannot legally work in this country, but who are working in this country anyway.  Your argument is, essentially, "lalala I'm not listening but they're ILLEGAL," which is basically saying that you do not want our immigration laws to be written based on reality but instead based on -- what is it -- the fact that you don't like people who want to work in this country but have the misfortune of being born in another country?

Granting some form of legal status to people who are already living and working in this country is called "acknowledging reality."  It is also called "making labor and wage laws enforceable."

29, white male, TX-07 (current), TN-09 (born), TN-08 (where parents live now)

by TDDVandy on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 04:12:37 PM PST

• Law (19)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site