View Diary: For Republicans, a Homeless 11-Year-Old Black Girl Named Dasani is a "Useless Eater" That Should Die (139 comments)

•  Matthew 25: 34 to 46 (38+ / 0-)

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[c] you were doing it to me!’

41 “Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, ‘Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons.[d] 42 For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn’t give me a drink. 43 I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

44 “Then they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?’

45 “And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’

46 “And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.”

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 01:49:19 PM PST

•  Doesn't that immediately follow the parable... (3+ / 0-)

...of the three servants?

To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away.
      •  Again taken out of context (19+ / 0-)

the parable isn't necessarily talking about the investment of money, as it is clearly stated that the love of money is the root of all evil and that one cannot serve both money and God.

The parable is about using one's gifts and talents and developing them for the glory of God rather than just sitting on them and being afraid of what might happen if you bother to try and reach out.

The Bible is not right wing propaganda and Jesus is not a free market douchebag.

“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― G.K. Chesterton

by bayushisan on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 03:42:25 PM PST

•  This parable is fun (2+ / 0-)
          bluedust, Treetrunk

I was involved in an interfaith dialogue in the old talk city days with a Jewish partner.  When we covered this parable, he said, you've got the parable backwards.  It's a parable about passive resistance.  The lord here is off to pay tribute and honor to Antiochus.  The servant who buries his talent is resisting evil. The rest of the servants were cowards.   I fell out.  Gotta tell you! Reading the New Testament rabbinically is a world of fun.  You can turn the parables inside out and backward but you have to clear your eyes first to see new possibilities.

Newt 2012. Sociopath, adulterer, hypocrite, Republican.

by tikkun on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 04:22:51 PM PST

•  Any links? I'd love to read more of this. (1+ / 0-)
            No one gets out alive
            •  I don't have a link (0+ / 0-)

since the conversation was between me and my dialogue partner on IRC.   But, I can tell you this...If you read the parable you will note that the first "lord" is involved in an activity that was not acceptable to Judaism, investing at interest.  He is described negatively way in other ways as well.

On the other hand, the first line of the section about the after life starts with the word, "BUT" and then goes on to describe a just lord who divides the people based on their compassion and care for the most vulnerable.   The two sections set up a comparison; they are not separate.  Don't forget that the texts were not originally written in chapters and verses.

Reading the New Testament with a knowledgeable observant Jew is eye opening.  They have experience with midrash and in the activity of reading the text with them and "turning the words", one's eyes are opened to the NT as midrash on the Hebrew Scriptures.  I mean, who among the canonical writers attended at Jesus's birth or knew anyone who had?  And three Zoroastrians show up at Jesus's crib?  It's midrash.  Zoroaster is the mother religioin of Bnai Avarahm. It also helps to have at least some knowledge of things like Jewish law and spiritual history (Antiochus)

Newt 2012. Sociopath, adulterer, hypocrite, Republican.

by tikkun on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 10:44:57 AM PST

•  Very noble mission you have embarked on here, (8+ / 0-)

to remake Jesus into your own image.
        Be forewarned, you will fail.

by JoanMar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 04:37:29 PM PST

•  It is commonly believed that Jesus was (10+ / 0-)

talking about spiritual gifts and not coins/money.
        If that is so, then it would explain why some are soulless.
        Why they lack empathy and cannot even recognize the humanity of others. Their spiritual gifts have been withdrawn.

by JoanMar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 at 04:49:26 PM PST

•  IIRC.... (5+ / 0-)

....this is the only time in the gospels that Jesus explicitly says someone will go to hell if they do something, isn't it? I think the point mattered to him.

"They smash your face in, and say you were always ugly." (Solzhenitsyn)

by sagesource on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 07:21:52 AM PST