View Diary: More than two million Americans on verge of screw job because unemployment aid not in budget deal (143 comments)

•  And the House GOP would support that? (3+ / 0-)

The problem here isn't that it's impossible to come up with good policy options. The problem is getting it through the House.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 08:55:56 AM PST

•  Uh... (3+ / 0-)
      Moody Loner, VClib, MPociask

...I think I made it clear that I know that the House wouldn't approve that. I can count.

by Meteor Blades on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 09:03:31 AM PST

•  You haven't made it clear you can count. Sorry. (0+ / 0-)

If you want, at any point, to demonstrate that you can count, go right ahead and start talking about how to get UI passed.

Because so far, all you've offered is the observation that a UI extension deserves to pass.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 09:06:43 AM PST

•  I have noted in this thread that Democrats... (10+ / 0-)

...should message this, loudly, as Republicans screwing over two million Americans. Taking this to the airwaves and making a big deal of it instead of reiterating the tired and tiresome message of this is the best that can be done.

In other words: Fight harder. Shine the spotlight on those in Congress who are willing to write off two million Americans.

But you apparently view doing so as a futile exercise in poutrage.

by Meteor Blades on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 09:19:15 AM PST

•  It is the least the Democrats should do! (3+ / 0-)
            corvo, Meteor Blades, Eric Nelson

I am not stupid and understand the power the GOP has to stop the kinds of policy and decisions I prefer, but shit, there is no reason to use the language of the far right in lieu of fighting for your values!

Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace. - Dalai Lama

by kimoconnor on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 09:31:27 AM PST

•  The Right is very vulnerable to being publicly (2+ / 0-)
            corvo, Capt Crunch

beaten up.  That's why they complain and cry so much whenever a slight amount of it happens.

Unfortunately, aside from ones and twos here and there, we lack Democrats with strong backbones who are willing to get loud over the outrages happening to the most vulnerable in America.

With Democrats like that, who needs enemies?  We need Democrats who will hit Republicans hard. Make it hurt.  Obama should go out into their cities and call them out by name. Over and over.  Congressional Democrats need to stand up and denounce Republicans. Shine a light on what is going on.

But too often, they prefer to remain silent because they are complicit, or just don't care...

by YucatanMan on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 09:57:57 AM PST

•  Democrats are fighting a losing battle... (3+ / 0-)
            varii, corvo, greenbell

As long as they are fighting for things like "Deficit reduction."  Who cares about deficit reduction?  No one - Republicans on the right only use that as a veiled excuse to cut social spending.  Polls of voters consistently show that they care about jobs and the economy.

But Democrats refuse to talk about stimulus vs. austerity.  Instead we have the President calling this latest austerity budget a good first step... toward what?  A Grand Austerity Bargain?  I don't think he said.

It was nice to hear the President mention the plight of the poor in South Africa.  I guess that was just more rhetoric, though.

•  I thought this, too. (1+ / 0-)
              corvo
            •  he sure does give pretty speeches n/t (1+ / 0-)
              greenbell

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 10:20:49 AM PST

•  Then stop... (1+ / 0-)
      Glenn45

... Wasting time operating within a political system rigged to ensure you lose every time.

Stand up and fight for yourselves, and stop surrendering the future!

•  And your alternative is...? (1+ / 0-)
        AlexDrew

Care to spell it out?

Visit http://theuptake.org/ for Minnesota news as it happens.

by Phoenix Woman on Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 09:34:40 AM PST

•  End the oppression... (0+ / 0-)

... By whatever means the oppressors deem necessary.

Clearly, the "political process" doesn't work, now that the rich are literally allowed to buy an election, in much the same way they buy a brand name image for their corporations.

What happens when a political system is broken? Either oppression, or revolution. One option can fix the problem, the other turns the problem into the new normal. Take your pick, but choose wisely. Your cowardice today won't be paid for with your own suffering, but with your offspring's.