View Diary: The case for a Democrat in every race (199 comments)

•  Try again (0+ / 0-)

I don't remember seeing anything I could understand that made sense to me.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:46:45 AM PST

•  #1 (0+ / 0-)

Run in every race.

#2 Primary the Blue Dogs.

#3 Force the Democratic Party to stand for something by out-organizing the moneybags, especially in the races they have forsaken.

"I wish I could change the ways of the world/ Make it a nice place/ Until that day/ I guess we stay/ Doing what we do, screwing who we screw" -- Lily Allen

by Cassiodorus on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:53:01 AM PST

•  That's certainly understandable (0+ / 0-)

I am not seeing how it addresses the pessimism expressed by geomoo, though.

And no, I don't agree with primarying the very small number of Blue Dogs in R+ districts who are still in Congress. That's a way to get more Republicans into Congress.

Your #1 and #3 are great, in my opinion.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 05:12:16 PM PST

•  If your event horizon does not extend (0+ / 0-)

past the next election, you will not adopt the strategy of running the right candidates until they stop losing, and the end result will be that you will get the wrong politicians, from here to eternity.

by Cassiodorus on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 05:18:08 PM PST

•  That's not the way it works (0+ / 0-)

I thought McGovern was great. Did it help the Democratic Party to nominate him in 1972? Show how that helped.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 06:33:52 PM PST

•  Enjoy the wrong politicians, then. (0+ / 0-)

You seem to think that single elections mean something all by themselves.  People with principles, on the other hand, are in it for the long haul.

by Cassiodorus on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 06:41:18 PM PST

•  I've got principles (0+ / 0-)

You prefer to ignore that. But one of them is to avoid being a mirror image of Jim DeMint. If you'd prefer 30 really liberal Democrats in the Senate with veto-proof Republican control for an extended period, I beg to differ. I don't believe in making my ideal of Swedish-style socialism the enemy of whatever half-measures we might be able to get with more Blue Dogs in Congress in place of Republicans.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 06:53:00 PM PST

•  Forty years of neoliberal policy (0+ / 0-)

is what the Democratic Party has earned itself with its focus-only-on-the-next-election myopia.  The Democrats can all be corralled to vote for someone like John Kerry, whose actual voting record of 2004 is synopsized in the link.  But hey, if you prefer to view one-and-a-half degrees to the left of George W. Bush as a half-measure to Swedish-style socialism, be my guest.  Over half of America supports single-payer, but if you prefer to elect politicians who declare that it's "off the table," and fully in keeping with your philosophy of electoral realism, then I guess you can pretend that's a half-measure to Swedish-style socialism too.

The Democrats don't get to stand for anything if they aren't willing to risk individual elections for the sake of standing for anything.

NB: Sweden doesn't have anything close to real socialism.

by Cassiodorus on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 07:25:45 PM PST

•  I live in Manhattan (0+ / 0-)

I have no difficulty in being able to help elect candidates who support single-payer. Try doing that in districts that routinely elect Republicans. I'm very frustrated by your inability to understand the way things are, or perhaps your unwillingness to allow yourself to acknowledge that truth.

As for your remark on socialism, I'm a social democrat. Countries like Sweden have heavily taxed and regulated capitalism whose productivity is harnessed for the benefit of the people to a large extent. And if even that isn't satisfactory to you, seeing how far the US is from that now, well...

Have a nice night. I think we long ago really exhausted any usefulness in a dialogue.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 07:40:23 PM PST

•  Sure. (0+ / 0-)
                      I'm a social democrat.
                      Whatever makes you feel good.  We're all neoliberals until we can actually organize for something better, instead of making excuses.

by Cassiodorus on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:29:58 PM PST

•  I might add-- (0+ / 0-)

that the ONLY time in the neoliberal era when the Democratic Party has been able to get anything out of Congress with the FAINTEST WHIFF of progressive policymaking has been when the Republicans have failed so thoroughly (see 1992, 2008) that the Democrats have actually had to promise something other than more Republicanism.

by Cassiodorus on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 07:37:14 PM PST

•  Those were times (0+ / 0-)

when Democrats had control of both Houses of Congress plus the White House. That's what's needed.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 07:41:30 PM PST

•  And you only get that because of Republican (0+ / 0-)

failure -- that should have been your first sign that the "expert" strategy wasn't working.

by Cassiodorus on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:04:03 PM PST