View Diary: Monday Night at the Theater: Audra McDonald (23 comments)

•  Carrie Underwood (1+ / 0-)
    Youffraita

has a reasonably pleasant voice but she was a bit wooden. You're right, she definitely isn't a good actress. I'd have loved to see Audra McDonald play the lead! (Well, in anything, really.)

I wonder if the US television audience is ready for an AA Maria von Trapp, LOL. It's been over 45 years since they freaked the hell out over Captain Kirk kissing Uhura, but I am afraid there are places that would still freak the hell out. If we are having a big discussion about whether Santa Claus and Jesus have to be depicted as white white white, for pity's sake, evidently we still have a long way to go in this area.

Shop Kos Katalogue ❧ Help Okiciyap at Cheyenne River reservation.

by belinda ridgewood on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 11:34:31 AM PST

•  Hmmmm.... (1+ / 0-)
      belinda ridgewood

I think there would be a lot of resistance to a black Maria von Trapp, too, among the haters. Theater-goers would LOVE it b/c her voice & acting skillz are so great, and b/c audiences have by now gotten accustomed to the best person playing the role, regardless of color or ethnicity...hmmmm. The kids wouldn't care. They don't care about gay and they don't care about interracial couples: a lot of them are in them, at least where I live, and probably where you live, too.

But I agree that the networks are too chicken to even try something like that.

Re: Santa Claus & Jesus, though, it seems to be mostly Fox (& we liberals) who are up in arms. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (as my mother used to say) that I don't know anyone IRL who's even AWARE of what Megyn said.

I'm the only person I know IRL (besides you, of course) who actually pays attention to politics, iow.

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 12:33:10 PM PST

•  Oh, sure, you could do it on Broadway, (1+ / 0-)
        Youffraita

but in terms of something on network TV, whatever audience they're trying to bring in by casting Carrie Underwood, they are going to fear would not be the most receptive audience to a mixed-race von Trapp family. Whether or not it's even true today, they are rather risk-averse in many ways. I guess they have to be, now that there are many options besides the broadcast networks. I imagine they think they are actually reaching by casting Audra McDonald as the Mother Superior.

Yeah, you are right; so many people I see day to day have not the faintest idea what's going on politically. Or they pick up some broad-brush meme like "Obamacare = bad website" from late-night comedians and that's all they've got. At least the Daily Show and Colbert reach some of those who are otherwise uninterested.

Shop Kos Katalogue ❧ Help Okiciyap at Cheyenne River reservation.

by belinda ridgewood on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 01:54:30 PM PST

•  Yeah. I agree with you. (1+ / 0-)
          belinda ridgewood

What I'm afraid the networks will take away here is: live productions don't work! Everyone made fun!

when the problem really is casting. OMG, you want to do a terrific live broadcast of a Broadway show, and do it well?

Get a goddamn broadway cast together!

Audra McDonald might not be known much beyond the stage, except for her star turn as a doctor, but I mean: Glenn Close? She's a terrific singer! There are others, too.

Well, we agree, I'm sure, I'm just venting at the stupidity of casting someone with NO stage chops in a live production.

by Youffraita on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 02:06:24 PM PST

•  belinda, I just found this one: (1+ / 0-)
          belinda ridgewood

OMG, she's already singing the role. She just doesn't get cast in it.

This is apropos of nothing, you understand: I just think you will enjoy it.

by Youffraita on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 03:12:05 PM PST

•  Yes, thank you! (1+ / 0-)
            Youffraita

She could totally sing that role. I mean, she could sing anything, but I think that score especially lends itself to her voice. Well, maybe some day... They should do one of those PBS concert-style performances of the show. Then no one would watch except liberal eggheads like us who would accept her in the role anyway.

Shop Kos Katalogue ❧ Help Okiciyap at Cheyenne River reservation.

by belinda ridgewood on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 04:08:31 PM PST

•  Y'know what I thought? (1+ / 0-)
              belinda ridgewood

I thought they should cast her -- and the captain -- and just put it in a different country. (Black in Germany during WWII is almost as much a death sentence as Jewish there and then.)

But what if Maria came from, oh, I dunno, Peru? Or Brazil? What if the score was the same, and the place/time were changed?

(And the Alps. Maybe the Sierras? the Andes?)

by Youffraita on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 05:08:22 PM PST