View Diary: Media Creates Bogus Racial Hysteria Over "Knockout Game," Ignores Gun Deaths (22 comments)

•  Actually, (1+ / 0-)
    Bush Bites

There have been several hundred documented cases of the knock out game over the last 2 years.  It started 2 years ago at the gates of the Wisconsin state fair.  That's the first time I read about it as a national story.  This of course was before it was branded the knockout game.

•  Documented by who? (0+ / 0-)

Are you talking about actual documentation you can link to? One of the first questions I thought of when I first started hearing about this "game" was what are  the factors that make an attack part of the knock out game and not just a vicious unprovoked attack?

This makes about as much sense as Mike Huckabee on mescaline. - Prodigal 2-6-2008

by Tonedevil on Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 12:08:29 AM PST

•  There are stories everywhere (0+ / 0-)

Just read a story on ABC news about this wonderful kid named Darryl Mitchell.  He lives on Long Island.  He's been charged with "playing" the knockout game 7 different times.  Because the crimes date back to April of last year, I suppose he and his gang supplied the evidence by video recording it.  Anyway, unless your a senior citizen, you don't have anything to fear from this gem of a citizen.

•  That's a damn sight... (0+ / 0-)

different than hundreds of  documented cases.

by Tonedevil on Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 11:22:48 AM PST

•  That's just today's (0+ / 0-)

Example.  Did you expect me to supply hundreds of links?  Try google for 15 minutes.  See what YOU come up with.  Better yet, check on you tube.  Many of these predators post their own videos.  It's a street rep thing.

•  No you said there were... (0+ / 0-)

hundreds of documented cases, I guess you feel that if there was a news report or a YouTube vid it's documented I'm actually looking for something a bit more substantial. This is no different than the "Wilding" scare it's an attempt to terrify white folks that scary black folks are coming to get them.

by Tonedevil on Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 04:43:19 PM PST

•  Evidently its happened enough (0+ / 0-)

For Al Sharpton and Jay Z to record PSA's about it.  And by documented cases, I mean news articles that report arrests for this kind of crime.

Seems to me that you don't want to take the time to confirm this on your own.  A simple google search will help you.  It sounds to me that you don't want to believe its real.

•  I've Googled... (0+ / 0-)

and find hysteria and random incidence only there are news reports and YouTube videos, but where is the FBI or Justice Department report?
                  Pretend for a minute that the "knock out game" is real. What does that mean? You mentioned there is a racial component to it, should black youth be subjected to more scrutiny because of this game? What course of action do you recommend be taken to stop this? That would tell me a lot more about what you think this is than you pulling out Black spokesmen to endorse your assertion.
                  To be clear I know that there have been recent incidence of random violence to strangers and in some cases the perpetrators have indicated their actions were part of a "knock out game". There is nothing that relates these particular crimes more than other acts of random violence not attributed to the "knock out game".

by Tonedevil on Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 06:54:06 PM PST

•  I never said anything about "action" (0+ / 0-)

I addressed your contention that the knock out game is a myth.  I aggressively disagree with that contention and feel it does more harm to be in denial than to try and solve the problem.  I have lived in NYC all of my life.  I am currently opening a new business in Minneapolis.  I spend my time between 2 major cities where the populations are large and diverse.  Being aware of ones surroundings (situational awareness), while acknowledging that these copycat crimes exist, can enable potential victims to possibly avoid these sometimes fatal attacks.

Personally, I am not fearful of this type of street crime.  I fit in everywhere and get along with most reasonable human beings.  I never look for trouble, but am always ready to defend myself, my wife and daughter.  I have seen enough violence in my lifetime, where I became determined 20 years ago to never again be the victim.  I had my eyes opened, then, and it brought me to the logical conclusion to obtain my carry permit.

As a lifelong democrat, I empathize with the most oppressed amongst us.  But I realized a long time ago that those feelings shouldn't  allow me to become someone else's punching bag.  I too have the right to live my life, retain my liberty and enjoy any happiness that I can manufacture with my family.  And no matter how you frame it, its wrong if complete strangers think that they should be able to eviscerate my rights, just for "kicks".

•  What is my contention... (0+ / 0-)

that you disagree with? Do you think I believe that it's OK for complete strangers eviscerate your rights, for any reason? Do you think I am advocating for young, or old, or middle aged, people to randomly commit acts of violence against other people?
                      Why don't you talk about the racial component that "we" are recently learning about. All I see is yet another chance for white folks to be afraid of black folks. Further I see a that the false accusations have already begun.

by Tonedevil on Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 12:48:26 AM PST

•  Do you deny (0+ / 0-)

Do you deny that almost all of these attacks pit large groups of blacks against a solitary white?  These predators have videotaped the proof and motive.  It's in their own words and deeds.  No amount of obfuscation can change that.

•  The term knock out game is meaningless... (0+ / 0-)

there is no difference between a knock out game attack and a non knock out game attack. There is nothing predictive about the so called identification of this so called game. All you are saying is black people are attacking white people with no provocation. This has happened and will no doubt happen again, but it's not an epidemic, it's not a trend, it's not an organized assault.
                          What do you hope to accomplish if you can convince everyone the knock out game is not a myth? What is your point that it has a black against white racial component? Last but not least, what do you think I am obfuscating?

by Tonedevil on Thu Dec 19, 2013 at 03:29:04 PM PST

•  I didn't see the rest of your post (0+ / 0-)

Usually the knock out game has specific characteristics.  Always a large group attacking a lone victim.  It is usually videotaped.  There is no robbery attempt made.  And finally, we are recently learning, there is a racial component involved.  On the street, the game is known as "poolaroids bear hunting".