View Diary: Worse Than The Stasi: How The Corporate State is Turning Citizens Into Spies (300 comments)

•  Well, raptavio (1+ / 0-)
    serendipityisabitch

I am compelled to point out that not all of the trade unionists are alive.

In all honesty, there were of course no State-sponsored mass shootings of unionists like in the US in the 1930s or even more recently in South Africa or Columbia.

The strikebreakers killed a few of us over the last couple of decades.  The troops and the cops didn't shoot any workers, true, but they didn't police or prosecute the strikebreakers either.

“The answer must be, I think, that beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there.” ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

by 6412093 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 03:42:12 PM PST

•  True enough. (7+ / 0-)

However, I'm sure you'll agree that "Worse than the Stasi" is in fact a whopping load of bollocks.

I'd like to deal with arguments based in fact (as you've provided, thankfully) rather than shrill histrionics designed more to grab attention for the diarist than highlight any actual problems.

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 03:46:20 PM PST

•  Oh, raptavio (4+ / 0-)

beyond a doubt comparing the present to the Stasi is a bunch of bullocks. I just suffered through reading 470 pages of "Iron Curtain, The Crushing of Eastern Europe," by Anne Applebaum, and the details of the Stasi's horrors are fresh in my mind.  Of course my own impressions pale besides those who experienced it, some of who have commented.

by 6412093 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 03:50:02 PM PST

•  actually raptavio (1+ / 0-)
        earicicle

I did find that a police car ran over and killed a striker at GE in 2003.  A single, possibly accidental killing doesn't conflict with your analysis, of course.

by 6412093 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 04:03:13 PM PST

•  No, of course not. (3+ / 0-)
          6412093, earicicle, Diogenes2008

And neither is it unimportant, either. Shit like that needs to stop, and those who commit such murders need to be held to account (assuming, of course, that it wasn't a tragic accident -- benefit of the doubt and all).

by raptavio on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 05:07:45 PM PST

•  You are right, raptavio (2+ / 0-)
            serendipityisabitch, raptavio

it isn't trivial.

To the people who knew Kjeston "Michelle" Rodgers, whom a cop run over while she walked a picket line at GE in Louisville, Kentucky, on January 14, 2003, it was their whole world.

Thanks for replying, which spurred me thinking about this issue.

I think the workers on strike who've been killed over the last few decades, deserve a diary.

I'm gonna work on that diary.  Maybe I should also thank Brother Ray for inspiration, whose diary spurred this whole discussion.

by 6412093 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 06:20:06 PM PST