View Diary: Worse Than The Stasi: How The Corporate State is Turning Citizens Into Spies (300 comments)

•  No, it's not worse. (6+ / 0-)

The Stasi was bugging people's phones, homes and offices. The Stasi was paying informants to turn in their friends and cowrokers. The Stasi was pulling people out of their homes in the middle of the night. They had loads of information on people. And they used it to remove dissidents from society.

To continue to claim that because the NSA has more robust surveillance tools than the Stasi that it is, therefore, "worse than the Stasi" is simply untrue and a gross exaggeration. By any measure.

It's inane.

"Bob Johnson doesn't have special privileges, because really, why would I entrust that guy with ANYTHING?" - kos, November 9, 2013

by Bob Johnson on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 07:55:25 PM PST

•  I'll say it again (3+ / 0-)
      Ray Pensador, Bob Johnson, DeadHead

Because what you said was that it was in no respect worse, I'll note that the NSA is literally recording every phone call, and it can transcribe them to text and store them. It's getting everything. And it can go through it with it's nice algorithms. It's an order of magnitude worse than anything the Stasi could do. Remember, they also have access to every bit of gossip people spread through the internet, and of everything that other law enforcement agencies have.

You keep bringing up the rest of what the Stasi did, that's beside my point. This is about surveillance.

If knowledge is power and power corrupts, does that mean that knowledge corrupts?

by AoT on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:01:42 PM PST

•  No, I keep bringing up the claim that the (4+ / 0-)
        AoT, Hey338Too, Diogenes2008, earicicle

... situation is "worse than the Stasi."

Is the NSA bugging you home, your office and your phone? Is the NSA turning your family, friends and co-workers into paid informants?

C'mon...

And advance in technology doesn't mean it's "worse" than the Stasi. Not in any way, shape or form.

by Bob Johnson on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:08:37 PM PST

•  The "Situation"? (1+ / 0-)
          DeadHead

I mean, I really couldn't stand Jersey shore, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with it.

No one said "the situation" was worse than the Stasi. I said that the surveillance, nee spying, is worse than the Stasi and gave specific reasons. And I don't know if they're doing some of those things, but they are certainly do others. You admit that they have an unprecedented level of technology but somehow it's still not worse.

I made an argument as to why it did. I know you can do better than "is not". The use of this technology is worse for the various reasons I laid out. You really sound like you think that the Stasi was worse because it disapeared people. The NSA doesn't do that, it's a different agency that would do that. Although the NSA is sending info to the drug warriors. And they're arresting people. But everyone knows that black and brown people are being targeted, so it isn't fascism, just racism. Or something.

by AoT on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:31:54 PM PST

•  That's the problem with the diary, frankly. (3+ / 0-)
        AoT, earicicle, undercovercalico

You and I agree on the NSA and the massive overreach.

But the fact that you and I are arguing about whether or not it is "worse than the Stasi" is just inane. It's trivial. Just the sort of nonsense provoked by dairies like this.

Have a good night, AoT.

by Bob Johnson on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:17:01 PM PST

•  More a problem with the title, but yeah (1+ / 0-)
          DeadHead

it's a problem.

You have a good night as well.

by AoT on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 08:32:42 PM PST