View Diary: Paul Ryan "domestic enemy"? (18 comments)

•  Um, no. (3+ / 0-)
    terrybuck, FG, happyshadow
    It would seem that just one "perp-walk" of such a politician to answer charges of inciting a conspiracy to destroy the United States economic underpinnings (and thus all they undergird) for ideological concessions (which in this case don't even seem to have been concocted yet) would prompt at least a questioning of the line between politics and crime the likes of which we haven't seen since 1973.
    I'd rather we not get into the habit of arresting legislators for doing things we disagree with. Let's make sure they're unemployed come January 2015 instead.

by JamesGG on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 02:05:04 PM PST

•  about arresting them for illegal activity? (0+ / 0-)

I think causes people to die due to ideaology or what they believe in is cause for prosecution.  They are supposed to represent all of the people not just the ones who voted for them.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 04:22:18 PM PST

•  Huh? (0+ / 0-)
        To the extent that "causing people to die" means a legislator taking or not taking legislative action in line with their ideological beliefs, the law does not agree with you.

It is not in any way "illegal activity" or "cause for prosecution" for lawmakers to appropriate less money or no money at all for something, nor even to fail to lift the debt ceiling. It's monumentally stupid, but it's completely legal.

Representatives aren't supposed to represent all of the people; they're supposed to represent the will of their constituents, the people from their Congressional district.

by JamesGG on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 04:49:27 PM PST

•  I disagree.. Not inspecting food, no regulation (0+ / 0-)

Yeah... you think Nugent represents me in my district.

Not paying taxes through way of offshore hiding?  Are you serious?  Al Capone was jailed for such.

Obstruction of the people's business is not sedition?  When people die from lack of ability for exchange on a mandated law?  I disagree...

Holding up judges as in the past causing people harm because their guy is not in office is not illegal?   Costing billions and billions on lobbists while people starve and no jobs and unemployment insurance?   I believe there was something in the constitution that said provide for the general welfare.

Talking militia and secession in a time of war is not illegal ?

by Vetwife on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 05:25:20 PM PST

•  I do not mean to be disrespectful I am just (0+ / 0-)

tired of paying people to do nothing.. To me that is just plain theft.

by Vetwife on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 05:29:09 PM PST

•  "I don't like it" ≠ "illegal" (1+ / 0-)
            happyshadow
            Capone wasn't jailed for incorporating a company in the Caymans. While I oppose offshoring money for tax reasons and think it should be illegal, it's not illegal.
            Obstruction of the people's business is not sedition?
            Please tell me where in the legal definition of "sedition" you find any rationale for suggesting that it describes legislative bodies choosing not to take certain actions.
            No, it's not illegal at all. Even the strongest Democratic opponents of filibustering judicial nominees never suggested that it was illegal.
            What enacted federal law does that violate again? Please spell it out for me.
            And yet, that term is left undefined, leaving it up to the people—through their elected representatives—to decide what constitutes the "general welfare." The general welfare clause has never been understood by any legal authority to create a legal mandate on Congress to enact unemployment insurance or jobs programs.
            Talking militia and secession in a time of war is not illegal ?
            You may want to reread the First Amendment, because I think you may have missed the part about freedom of speech.

by JamesGG on Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 05:35:09 PM PST

•  no, you're playing the real democracy (0+ / 0-)

You see, they used to play that too. And you'd be 100% right and I would have nothing whatever to say on the subject if we were back in the days when they pretty-much stuck to the American traditional script. But they have come a long way, baby. And baby, look at them now.

They have replaced their real republicans over the last so many sixteen years I mentioned with an unchallenged extortion racket advanced by lying opportunist Grover Norquist and others--that republican on republican stuff I mentioned--which you probably haven't noticed unless you availed yourself of  every local right-wing partisan media outlet since Rupert Murdoch made it national sport in 1995 after republican take-over of both chambers of Congress, where they have been "eating their own" ever since for non-ruthlessness or too much independence or whatever they make up to keep primarying each other until they get it wrong enough to fill Congress with dullards and reckless ideologues like the ones who are there now threatening us every few months with economic doom they have no qualifications to even gauge. Otherwise, like I said, I be right with ya on not arresting legislators. But people who act like domestic enemies and admit they don't even know what they want yet, just that when it comes time they'll pull this crime against our way of life again, they are not legislators by the definition you and I grew up with. And the sooner that stipulation be demonstrated with some definitive action by what's left of the real democracy in which we entrusted the Chief Exec with a DOJ to watch out for us TWICE, the better. And it ain't political desperation--it's just waking up and smelling the manure.

"Education Is Not the Filling of a Pail, But the Lighting of a Fire" W.B. Yeats