View Diary: Republican Congressman 'clarifies' remarks about making poor kids work for food (104 comments)

•  I doubt he's embarrassed, but the uproar is, um, (8+ / 0-)

disquieting(?), threatening(?), certainly unexpected.  Like a cat biting thru a live lamp cord--and with just about as much understanding of cause and effect.

“The road to success is always under construction” --Lily Tomlin

by CarolinNJ on Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 10:35:49 AM PST

•  The problem is that the dude (9+ / 0-)

made the statements when most people have seen at least 10 different versions of "A Christmas Carol" on TV, and maybe at least one live performance.

by Cali Scribe on Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 10:46:24 AM PST

•  And that he is utterly clueless (8+ / 0-)

as to how his original statement was really wrong.  Compares it to a graduation requirement for community service.

I have no objections to kids, young or teenaged, doing work at their school.  So general tidying up perhaps sweep ups and what have you.  Part of being responsible for your space.  But limiting it to poor kids and making meals contingent upon performance?  Really?

BTW my kids as toddlers were both responsible for prepping their own snacks at their Montessori school.  They prepped snacks (including cutting vegetables) set tables, cleared up afterwards.  It was pretty cool.

"I'm not left wing because i'm ideological, or passionate, or angry. I'm left wing because I'm informed." - Mikesco

by newfie on Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 10:56:31 AM PST

•  With you. Responsibility is learned behavior. (2+ / 0-)
          newfie, historys mysteries

“The road to success is always under construction” --Lily Tomlin

by CarolinNJ on Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 11:06:01 AM PST

•  When it comes to learning responsibility (6+ / 0-)

in my experience it's the richer kids that need to learn it more than the poor kids -- they already know from experience if they don't take care of their clothes there likely won't be any new ones to replace them till next year, or if their bike gets stolen they're going to have to walk to school.

by Cali Scribe on Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 11:18:51 AM PST

•  Our Guppi (6+ / 0-)

went on a date recently with a classmate whose parents are EXTREMELY wealthy.  EXTREMELY!!!!  It was only ONE date as she within one date realized he did not live in the same world as most do.

He'd never been in the laundry room of his mansion.  Never saw a laundry machine in his life.  Had no idea where one even would go to buy laundry detergent.

How'd this come up?? In their science lab they were using laundry detergent and he started asking her about laundry because:

1. She's a girl
            2. He's rich.

Seriously he asked her about laundry because hey she's a non-rich girl.  She just knows about all that stuff.

Can you imagine having so many homes... and one of them has rooms in it that you've never been in before???

Reminded me of Bush never knowing you could buy sliced bread.

I was actually afraid when she went out on a date with him because as I told my best friend... what if something happened and he hurt her or threatened her.... his family is so fucking rich we'd never have any justice or recourse.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison