View Diary: Duck Dynasty is a Fake Yuppies-in-Red-Neck-Drag Con Job (335 comments)

•  They DON'T look like any of ZZ Top, (9+ / 0-)

nor would ZZ Top share their hateful and bigoted ways.

"Its always better to be shot from a cannon than squeezed from a tube" Hunter S. Thompson

by hooktool on Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 09:59:04 PM PST

•  Have you watched the show? (9+ / 0-)

ZZ Top provides the theme song, "Sharp Dressed Man." It doesn't necessarily mean they share the Robertson family views, but Dusty, Frank and Billy sure are cashing the checks from them.

•  I've watched the show and I tend to think most (2+ / 0-)
            marina, Nulwee

of the other family members on the show don't share Phil Robertson's extreme views. He seems like a narcissist and a bully and I think he put the rest of the family in a situation where they felt like they had little choice but to back him up. If they hadn't they would have destroyed their brand with their fans in addition to antagonizing their domineering family member.

I imagine there is a spectrum of views toward homosexuals and blacks among the family members and the generations, not unlike most families and Phil is at one extreme of the spectrum. My guess is the rest of the family are not too happy with Phil these days.

Of course, I think the family members that disagree with him should absolutely come out and say so but I think some are probably afraid of him and think keeping the peace in the family is more important. They probably make some decisions with deference to the mom's wishes since she's the one who has to live with Phil. I hope I don't sound like I'm defending the family members but the sons had a pretty rough childhood from the sounds of things because Phil would periodically kick them and their mom out of the house and abandon them. I think that was probably pretty traumatizing and damaging to them.

Of course, I think some of them are motivated to keep quiet mostly by greed and fame and have sold their integrity and that's why they won't do the right thing. They like cashing checks too.

I don't know, maybe I'm naive and they do all agree with him, but when I've watched the show it seems like some of the other family members just kind of humor him, that is when he's part of the story line. Often he's kind of on the periphery with the story centered mostly around the sons and the uncle and the employees or the kids and wives.

And, yes, it is a really boring show and totally contrived and I'm not proud I've watched it and this comment of mine is probably just ridiculous speculation that's way too forgiving of the family. Too bad reality shows don't film real stuff like the conversations the family members have had with each other this week and with the show's producers.

•  Low budget TV dads tend to be narcissist bullies (2+ / 0-)
              wa ma, Nulwee

Think  American Chopper
              American Guns
              Pawn Stars

and so are TV Chefs ... I'm talking about YOU Gordon Ramsay ...

Truly sucky role models, if anyone was modeling them.

My guess is half the audience wants to identify with the Strap Daddy persona ... 'cuz they'd never get away with it in real life.l

And  half of the other  half wishes THEY had a Daddy who loved them enough to take a strap to them ...

And the rest will put up with a lot, in order  to see motorcycles, antique firearms, motorcycles, or cordon bleu kitchens.

•  I do long for dads like Bill Cosby's portrayal. (2+ / 0-)
                dkosdan, ProgressiveOldMan

Bill Cosby was the last major character I saw on TV setting an example of a guy who is a good dad and a good father, since I stopped watching most TV in the 1990's.

The only thing I know about this Duck family, is what I see in print (online).

Are there ANY good father roll models on TV these days?  Or are they all bumbling (Malcolm in the Middle) or narcissistic jerks or both?

Everything is part of a system. Some people believe that system is science, some believe it is G-d. I believe science is part of G-d's system.

by Anna Wise on Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 02:56:21 PM PST

•  You sure about that? (0+ / 0-)

I like ZZ Top, but I've never heard any of them weigh in on politics.

And they ARE from Texas.

•  Maybe not (1+ / 0-)
          dkosdan

ZZ Top are Republicans. They played at events for GWBush.

•  "Their" hateful and bigoted ways? (0+ / 0-)

You got some scoop on the rest of them?
          So far, the only thing to come out has been about Phil, and, frankly, it wasn't exactly hateful and bigoted.

Ignorant, perhaps, but not hateful.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 12:27:25 PM PST

•  Not hateful? (3+ / 0-)
            Anna Wise, zinger99, Gary Owen

You don't consider it hateful to tell others that they will burn in hell because they have different beliefs than you? I don't really know how you could be anymore hateful than that.

•  I haven't found a quote about burning in hell. (1+ / 0-)
              Anna Wise

Did you make that up or do you have a link?

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 02:35:51 PM PST

•  Chicago Tribune (0+ / 0-)

"They (homosexuals) committed indecent acts with one another," said Robertson, clad in his usual camouflage, in the video posted on the church's YouTube page, which has drawn fresh attention in the wake of Robertson's suspension from one of the most-watched shows on cable television.
                "And they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion," he added. "They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil."

•  Tribune says nothing about burning in hell. (0+ / 0-)

I will, when I've got a little time, go looking for that video from his appearance at the Berean Bible church.

Wouldn't surprise me if he said what they said he said -- in 2010, btw -- and not exactly a secret to A&E, but I would be interested in the context.

The GQ thing has been badly misrepresented, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of the older video.

What he said (from the New Orleans Times Picayune):

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men," he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: "œDon'™t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers --” they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."
                  That would certainly cover me, having slept with women outside of marriage and having slept with married women when I was single.  Fundamentalist and most evangelical Christians believe that we are all sinners.

That is not the same thing as being condemned to burn in hell.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 09:01:00 PM PST

•  as orcs or dwarves? nt (3+ / 0-)
      cotterperson, ApostleOfCarlin, atana
    •  You think (4+ / 0-)

southern boys.. hunters... wear camo 24/7? And it never occurred to you that they grew the beards for the show? It's a reality show for gods sake.

A man is born as many men but dies as a single one.--Martin Heidegger

by cdreid on Fri Dec 20, 2013 at 09:49:46 PM PST

•  On TV??? There is no reality, (10+ / 0-)

it's all just an illusion.

The republicons moan, the republicons bitch. Our rich are too poor and our poor are too rich. Ferguson Foont

by Josiah Bartlett on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 08:49:50 AM PST

•  Yes, a reality show with not a bit of reality! (1+ / 0-)
        Dirtandiron
        •  That can be said about (8+ / 0-)

all reality TV, and I never watch any of it. It's cheap crap that the networks started running during a writers' strike (so they didn't need to settle with the writers), and after the strike ended they realized that it was still cheaper than paying writers to write actual fiction, so instead they went out an recruited every "Jerry Springer Show" wannabee they could find, whether they're fake Southern rednecks, fake Park Avenue housewives, or real NJ dimwits, and throw them all on Ad Lib TV.

Every time you watch a reality TV show, you're supporting scab labor. Think about it.

by sidnora on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 12:14:55 PM PST

•  To be honest, I've never watched one. (3+ / 0-)

I hear enough about them to know I don't want to!

•  They should call it 'Unionbuster TV' (3+ / 0-)

"Did they really think that we wouldn't notice? Nice try-- but we got you!" Rev. Al Sharpton

by growingMajorityMN on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 04:16:21 PM PST

sidnora, congenitalefty

Way too many people in the progressive community have forgotten or did not know WHY reality shows took over.  It was all about breaking unions.   With "reality" shows there is no script (wink, wink.....a loosely based scenario is given); there are no actors to pay scale.

I have not, will NOT watch any of the reality crap.  Besides the anti labor issue, the shows themselves elevate bullies.  People wonder why bullying is such a problem...hey look at reality television. Bullying is the main theme, from Survivor to all the housewives cr*p.

Actors, writers, all have lost work because of the corporations that now own television.  It is a slice of the world show to us in the dystopian "Max Headroom". In the short lived scifi series, corporate network was the government and they set up "reality" scenarios to have citizens go after each other violently and then use the footage as a show.  Not too far from what we see in reality television.

“We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.” Louis D. Brandeis

by Jjc2006 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 07:31:22 PM PST

•  Unions, yes, but also just budget (0+ / 0-)

I have a family member who worked for a company that put on one of the big game shows that were so popular a few years ago (like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire).

He said that the reason they went for that, was the whole show had barely any production costs, once the set was created.  He was of the opinion that the reality shows were done for the same reason.

But maybe the writers' walk out some years back also played into it.

Myself, I support unions.  But having tried to get into acting when I was young, I can tell you, those unions were quite exclusive and hard to break into.  Not really what I think of when I think of supporting unions.

by Anna Wise on Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 03:03:00 PM PST

•  Thank you. (2+ / 0-)
            AJ in Camden, congenitalefty

Watching any of this crap only contributes to the decline of real entertainment: of storytelling built on skill and art.  Obviously, there is a fair amount of crap TV that is not "reality TV" but at least those shows create real jobs.

Want to make a real difference?  Cut the cable.  You can get all you need from streaming and, if necessary, Netflix DVDs.  Fire your cable or satellite provider and put half the money you spend on them into watching those things you truly choose to watch.  Put the rest in your pocket.

If we do not maintain Justice, Justice will not maintain us. -Sir Francis Bacon.

by Res Ipsa Loquitor on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 10:11:52 PM PST

•  HBO, Showtime, NHL Network (0+ / 0-)

Tell me where I can stream these three plus AMC and I will cut the cable.

•  Hulu, etc. (1+ / 0-)
              Gary Owen

Hulu has come up with some of its own shows that have actual writing and story arc.  My son tells me YouTube is trying to have some.

I watched a few minutes of "reality shows" when they first started coming out (voting off the island, or whatever) and I just did not understand the appeal.  Perhaps it is a basic voyeuristic thing.

TV has never settled into anything.  It came out in the war years, and has changed so many aspects of its formatting, in any given ten year period.  So much money and effort put into it, first TV sets, then antennas, then cable, then fiber optics, and streaming over the airwaves -- twenty five years from now, it will be as different as now is from twenty five years ago.

by Anna Wise on Mon Dec 23, 2013 at 03:13:08 PM PST

•  You're right. (1+ / 0-)
            DarthMeow504

Excellent observation about the Networks and their retaliation against the writers.  Garbage in get garbage out is the mantra of 'reality shows'.  Never watched one since there are channels with science, history, and the Comedy channel.  This 'outcry' was to generate ratings for the bunch of phonies who swagger like men when they are just posers.

•  Whatever else you say, it times time and (2+ / 0-)
        Nulwee, Metric Only

dedication to grow a beard like that. Yeah, I know they may appear scruffy-looking, but beards like that require combing. They require shampoo and conditioner. They are a real pain in the ass. A guy with a chest-length beard is every bit as vain as a woman with waist-length hair.

Just not as pretty.

And, yes, for the record, I do speak from experience.

Ceterum censeo Factionem Republicanam esse delendam.

by journeyman on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 02:25:00 PM PST

•  in norcal, standard white person acoutremond (2+ / 0-)
        Nulwee, Blueslide

(pardon ma french) in rural towns all over...hair, camo, Carhart, jacked up diesel  trucks 'chipped' to make huge clouds of black smoke and a lot of noise.
        That'll show those hippie Earth First fools.

The rural life, the imagined last stand of white people against the hordes spreading from the cities like mold, held back by the likes of these guys....not much of a metaphor but pretty obvious.

.....and in every big box store full of crap are the tons, I ain't exaggerating, tons of DD crap everywhere. Zombie Apocalypse II is what this is...for Christmas.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 02:55:53 PM PST

•  They're a marketing ploy (0+ / 0-)

He explained that Phil just started growing his beard out every year before hunting season and the rest of his boys—all except one are Duckmen—followed suit. The look got the company attention and made them stand out so it just stuck. And while the look is sure to draw
        attention wherever the men appear, it has also helped them grow the business from a simple call company to one that is now a leading seller of duck hunting DVDs, clothing, gear and even marinades and sauces.

"It's the best marketing gimmick anybody's ever thought of and it didn't cost..." Willie says with a big smile while holding his hand up to form a zero. He laughs as he mentions how they have lately started to notice how some of their smaller competitors at outdoor shows are growing their beards out, too.

•  Phil Robertson = Carter Pewterschmidt (2+ / 0-)
      Metric Only, Sychotic1

Family Guy did an episode a season or two ago "Tea Peter" where Peter's rich father in law wants an end to environmental regulations on his business, so he invents a phony working class "Joe Six Pack" character (complete with mullety disguise) and the Tea Party in order to vote the pro-environmental types out.

by growingMajorityMN on Sat Dec 21, 2013 at 04:10:54 PM PST