View Diary: Between Duck Dynasty and a new poll that puts the GOP 4 points up, I'm SO DISCOURAGED. (114 comments)

•  The only way those gerrymandered districts will be (5+ / 0-)
    caul, StellaRay, Matt Z, peptabysmal, wdrath

overcome is if there is huge voter turnout. Each district needs to be looked at and decided if enough voters turn out - they can override the jerrymander. If they can't - don't put any money into it. If they can - go for it!

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 07:24:16 PM PST

•  Absolutely. (4+ / 0-)
      mrsgoo, Matt Z, wdrath, Minnesota Deb

It really is all about voter turn out, even in this age of Citizens United.

So how do we, those who are involved in politics and active on a day to day basis, motivate Democrats to freaking turn out?!

I'm one who thinks we don't do ourselves any favors arguing about what we could have done better, and delivering the message that Democrats aren't perfect, and illuminating just how and where. There's a time for that. And I think we've all had a hay day of it since 2012.

But imo, now is the time for all good Democrats to come to the aide of their party---to paraphrase my old typing teacher---cut to the quick and make the hard decisions when we have to, and without a lot of throat cutting drama.

I am a progressive/liberal Democrat, and I like so many here WANT SO MUCH MORE, than I've gotten. But hey, that's life, right? The history books are full of people who never got what they deserved, or think they deserved.

The road to power is unpleasant, imperfect and often unfair. But it it's the only road open. I guess that's what I meant when I said in my diary, I hope we're up to it. And by that I mean, whatever it takes. Because if it's not that, than we are not matched to our opposition.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 09:15:55 PM PST

•  January 1 - it begins. Need to enjoy and (2+ / 0-)
        StellaRay, wdrath

relax until then. Once January 2nd hits - it needs to be balls to the wall until November. And I frankly do not care how that sounds. Can't have a repeat of 2010 off year.

by mrsgoo on Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 09:39:19 PM PST

•  :) (2+ / 0-)
          mrsgoo, wdrath

I personally like "balls to the wall." And I'm a pretty ardent feminist. But I do appreciate the thought, and wouldn't dream of picking at it. Besides, we women know how to use "our balls" even if we don't have them, lol.

by StellaRay on Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 09:46:14 PM PST

•  ;) TX We gotta turn TX this year. After what Wendy (2+ / 0-)
            StellaRay, wdrath

did - we gotta get those women out and voting. ">Accept - Balls To The Wall

by mrsgoo on Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 10:04:32 PM PST

•  grrrr - well I totally f'd that linky thing up! (1+ / 0-)
              StellaRay

by mrsgoo on Fri Dec 27, 2013 at 10:06:48 PM PST

•  Lets try this embed thing one more time! (3+ / 0-)
              StellaRay, Vyan, wdrath

• Labor (27)
  • Science (24)
  • Congress (24)
  • Law (24)
  • Education (24)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site