View Diary: The truth about Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (331 comments)

•  Well maybe this will clear your mind (6+ / 0-)
    I look at and find mortalities while out hunting, and if I refer to that same mortality when talking to my friends who hunt the same area and they know exactly which one I'm talking about, so they must have found it too.
    from his poacher diary.
    •  Thanks for clarifying, I must have been mixing him (6+ / 0-)

up with somebody else in the pro-gun crowd who actually claimed not to be a gun owner.  I can't even think of anyone else who writes about, ah, 'conservation' in the way ban nock does.

•  That is me, maybe (9+ / 0-)

I'm a member of RKBA and am not now and never have been a gun owner.

But, that really is a side issue. ban nock is a wonderful diarist, and there is so much more to him that just his hunting.

I would recommend this excellent diary about Laos for instance.

All this hating is distasteful.

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay. Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away. John Prine

by high uintas on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 01:31:49 PM PST

•  I'm not hating on the individual. (7+ / 0-)

But I disagree in large part with his notions on conservation, and the need for humans to kill any non-human in the name of conservation.

•  Honest Erich (3+ / 0-)
            Nulwee, 43north, worldlotus

I wasn't referring to you. You've been totally respectful and reasonable. People can disagree without demeaning others and I don't think you were doing that.

by high uintas on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 01:37:15 PM PST

•  Seriously, try on a little history (3+ / 0-)
            43north, worldlotus, dewley notid

Hunters fund conservation at a higher rate and with more dollars than any other conservation group. Theodore Roosevelt got it started and the reason we have wildlife is because of good management by hunters and fisherman.  There were no elk in Colorado in 1929. Theodore Roosevelt and the hunters and fisherman he inspired gave you your wildlife. Show some appreciation and respect.  Without our dollars, it all falls apart.  When are the recreational equipment companies going to start pitching in their 11%?

•  Disagreement isn't hate (5+ / 0-)

Ban nock supports the idea of the conservation of some species at the expense of others. I've largely stayed away from his posts because I don't particularly care for sport hunting as it's not my idea of what conservation should look like. But calling that disagreement "hate" is worthy of FOX "News", not the diaries of Daily Kos.

"Given the choice between a Republican and someone who acts like a Republican, people will vote for a real Republican every time." Harry Truman

by MargaretPOA on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 01:46:42 PM PST

•  You really know nothing about ban nock (3+ / 0-)

you are judging him by the organization he pays dues to. An organization that has more than one agenda. I can support most of what they do, not all.

by high uintas on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 01:53:47 PM PST

•  Actually, we know plenty about him. (2+ / 0-)
              Just Some Guy, MJ via Chicago

And in particular, we know that he loves to kill things. A lot. A whole lot. He loves, loves, loves it. Judging by his diaries, it is his favorite thing to do in the whole wide world. Mind you, it's not necessarily valid to make such a judgement. His favorite thing might be having sex, but that's not generally an acceptable diary topic. Or his favorite thing might be so boring -- or from another perspective, unlikely to stir up an angry response -- that he doesn't bother writing about it.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 06:03:51 PM PST

•  People who enjoy killing things, Part II (4+ / 0-)

Teddy Roosevelt.

The duck hunting community is one of the biggest habitat conservation forces in the United States. Buying a duck conservation stamp means your purchase legally has to go towards waterfowl habitat, which is why hunters buys tons of them.  This is well known in academic, wildlife management/conservation circles.

Governments care only as much as their citizens force them to care. Nothing changes unless we change -- George Monbiot.

by Nulwee on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 07:16:50 PM PST

•  Perhaps you might want to expand (1+ / 0-)
                dewley notid

your "depth" of knowledge and read this great diary or maybe this one. You never know, you might learn something.

by high uintas on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 08:09:10 PM PST

•  I've read plenty of his diaries. (0+ / 0-)

I rarely read anything he writes anymore, because I find almost everything he writes irritating in one way or another. I don't like him.

He doesn't need to apologize for that. If he knew me, he wouldn't like me. We aren't all obliged to like one another.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 09:33:04 PM PST

•  That is fine (0+ / 0-)

There are plenty people here that I don't particularly like, but those diaries give lie to your idea about his interests. They are much more varied and interesting that you claim.

by high uintas on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 09:41:59 PM PST

•  I didn't claim anything about how varied his (0+ / 0-)

interests might or might not be. Your claim that I did is a lie. (See how that word works when one isn't passive aggressive with it?)

I did claim something about what his diaries suggest is his favorite thing to do. I never said it was the only thing he liked to do, much less that it was the only thing that interested him. All I said was that based on his diaries, it was the thing that he enjoyed doing more than anything else.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 09:56:06 PM PST

•  I'm tired and don't like playing word games (1+ / 0-)
                        dewley notid

He writes more about the environment than anything else. But most hunters really enjoy it so I'm sure he does. I love fishing, totally absolutely love fishing, but it's not the whole of me.

It's not my favorite thing to do, but it's damn close. Given the choice between a river full of trout and talking here, I'm all over the trout. so what?

by high uintas on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 10:26:49 PM PST