View Diary: RKBA: MAIG and MDA, a HuffPo Article (73 comments)

•  Missing the point. (4+ / 0-)

This:

If Moms wants to have a real impact on the argument over guns, why don't they talk to gun owners and stop wasting their energy on convincing people who don't need to be convinced?
    ...is completely missing the point.

There are a lot of gun owners in the US (myself among them), but a segment of that population votes on this issue with a real intensity. What MAIG/MDA ought to be doing is trying to rally their own intense activists to write letters, sign petitions, attend rallies, and work to elect pro-gun control candidates. Why waste the effort in the lion's den?

"Speaking for myself only" - Armando

by JR on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 04:56:28 PM PST

•  Do they have intense activists? nt (4+ / 0-)
    •  Divided we fall??? (7+ / 0-)

I think the point was "preaching to the choir".

The problem is the choir isn't that big.  It can't move mountains if it keeps singing at the river.

If their position is legitimate and valid, bring it to those that oppose them and convince them.

The "you're with us or against us" mentality has galvanized so many into opposite corners, whether they want to or not... the pie of undecideds is getting smaller and smaller.

Whom will be left to rally???

by gerrilea on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 05:25:00 PM PST

•  When does that work? (5+ / 0-)

You're saying the strategy they should follow is trying to convince people who adamantly disagree with them, rather than trying to beat them?

That would only make sense if this was a fight for converts. But it's not: the side that wins over the most former foes isn't necessarily the side that's going to win. The side that turns out their strongest supporters, mobilizes their base for political fights, and constantly provides pressure on elected officials is going to win.

That being said, gun control groups do conduct outreach to gun owners who, like me, still support measures that stop short of civilian bans and total confiscation. The Giffords-led group Americans for Responsible Solutions is taking point on that strategy, with pretty good results in such a short period of time.

"Speaking for myself only" - Armando

by JR on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 05:37:35 PM PST

•  I'm a bit jaded (4+ / 0-)

I have listened to some of the outreach but feel they either speak in platitudes and gloss over important details or talk down to me.

I'm a 4 Freedoms Democrat.

by DavidMS on Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 06:58:24 PM PST

•  So, compromise is out of the question then? (2+ / 0-)
          Wordsinthewind, Kasoru

Maybe I'm getting your point all wrong here, but it sounds to me like that's what you're saying.  I believe the righteousness of my position and therefore I will act with our without you.

Politics is a meat grinder...we never all get what we want in the end.

by gerrilea on Thu Jan 02, 2014 at 04:55:47 AM PST

•  You are absolutely getting it wrong (1+ / 0-)
            LilithGardener

Compromise that puts you closer to your ideal is a fine end result, but it's not a strategy for political victory. You always want to go into a negotiation--including policymaking--bargaining from a position of maximum strength. In this context, that means establishing an active, intense base of support capable of keeping heat on political leaders, to demonstrate that there is a benefit to siding with your views and a price for opposing them.

In other words, exactly the NRA's organizing strategy. (Or, you know, Alinsky's. Whichever source you'd rather cite. Same playbook, different cover.)

"Speaking for myself only" - Armando

• Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • International (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site