View Diary: Firearms Law and Policy Open Thread - Did you get gun for Christmas? (51 comments)

•  Nothing new here for me, but thanks for posting (9+ / 0-)

I'm well aware of these laws, but thank you for posting all of this info, factually.

What most people don't know, after hearing through the media, (incorrectly, I might add), is that no one can buy a firearm and have it delivered to their front door.  All Internet purchases must be shipped from dealer to dealer.  When the shipment comes in, the buyer then must pass the background check before concluding the purchase and taking possession of the firearm.  This is in addition to having to obtain a permit to purchase or a permit to carry from the state you reside in.  PEOPLE CAN'T JUST ADD A GUN INTO AN ONLINE SHOPPING CART AND HAVE IT DELIVERED TO THEIR DOOR!!!!!!

Thanks for the fair reporting, Lilith.

•  Nice to see you Allen, Peace for the New Year! (6+ / 0-)

Even I was surprised by how much I didn't know, so I figured I am not alone. I'm starting to understand why the operative word is "transfer" rather than mere possession.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” — William Arthur Ward

by LilithGardener on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 04:46:34 PM PST

•  I should know this, but ... can a private party (4+ / 0-)

... arrange to have a handgun delivered (by, say, private carrier, not the US mail) as a gift to a friend in another state? Private arrangement, private carriage, no issue of buying it just to give it away (although I think that would be OK.)

2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

by TRPChicago on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 04:52:35 PM PST

•  No (4+ / 0-)

Must go through the process of a FFL transfer.  Does it happen?  Yes.  Dozens of times everyday in Chicago amongst other places.  But those that do it aren't following any of the other laws, either.

•  Great question - yes in part/no in part (4+ / 0-)

Gun owners, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes to private carrier, no delivery to an individual. The delivery must go to an FFL if the shipment goes across state lines.

Legal How-To: Giving a Gun as a Gift

Are you planning to ship it? You can ship a handgun (by common carrier but not U.S. Mail) or a long gun (by U.S. Mail or common carrier) to a federally licensed dealer, but not to a non-licensed individual. Federal law requires you to declare that your package contains an unloaded firearm. The NSSP suggests that you consult your carrier beforehand about its regulations for shipping firearms.

by LilithGardener on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 05:01:15 PM PST

•  well, you can, kind of. (4+ / 0-)

IF you're a Curios & Relics license holder AND you're buying a Curio or Relic.

So a K98 Mauser or Romanian Tokarev TTC could be shipped to your door with out a background check, well because you have a $10 limited FFL. (it is $30 for three years).

It is kind of cool to be able to put a gun in my online shopping cart and have it delivered to my door.

Stupid question hour starts now and ends in five minutes.

by DrillSgtK on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 05:19:40 PM PST

•  Hi DrillSgtK, please expound a bit for n00bs (2+ / 0-)
        88kathy, Glen The Plumber

if you have time. And consider writing a diary on the Curios & Relic Federal Firearms License. What's involved? How much does it cost?

I'm delighted you mentioned this. I've wanted to learn more about it, but it would have made the diary too complicated. In our hypothetical No. 3 - what if Grandpa has a C&R license, and the heirloom gun qualifies as a C&R gun?

by LilithGardener on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 05:25:39 PM PST

•  Are those curios and relics functional firearms? (3+ / 0-)

2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

by TRPChicago on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 05:26:07 PM PST

• Recommended (140)
  • Community (62)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Environment (40)
  • Elections (38)
  • Culture (36)
  • Bernie Sanders (36)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Hillary Clinton (27)
  • Education (26)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (24)
  • Labor (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • GOP (21)
  • Civil Rights (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Spam (19)
  • Affordable Care Act (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site