View Diary: Why Cold Weather Does Not Disprove Global Warming (67 comments)

•  Do I believe in global warming? Can't happen fast (1+ / 0-)
    annecros

enough for me as we commence our 100 hours of temperatures below zero.

•  Tongue-in-cheek? (1+ / 0-)
      LookingUp

Firmly, I hope.

•  Did you even read my article? (5+ / 0-)

I clearly explain why this cold weather does not disprove global warming.

In fact, this arctic air mass that is chilling us is due to the warming of the stratosphere over the arctic.

Like my posts? Follow me on Facebook for more: Click here to follow me on Facebook. Google

by alexforgue on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 08:31:07 AM PST

•  I'm skeptical (0+ / 0-)

I don't discount it entirely but I don't believe all the hype about it either.

•  There is some convincing evidence (4+ / 0-)
          LookingUp, jqb, northerntier, eagleray

in the present. The persistent trend of ice melt in the Artic and Antarctic are definitely leading to rising sea levels. There is documented evidence of species migrating to higher latitudes.  These things are not just hype.

•  True but that's not to say that we fully (1+ / 0-)
            annecros

understand the dynamics of it all.  Weather advantages and disadvantages.  Some are disadvantaged by the weather as it has been and no doubt humans have adjusted to what weather has been in the past as they'll have to the future and some of the methods they choose to adapt like air conditioning burn energy.  It's not like we have the perfect earth where it's San Diego everywhere now.   I just doubt our current ability to create or maintain climate and even if we could we'd be choosing winners and losers.  Meanwhile, I just keep adding layers and hope the old boiler makes it through another January and the pipes don't freeze.

•  That attitude is why (5+ / 0-)
              badger, LookingUp, jqb, Bronx59, eagleray

it is very likely that nothing will get done about it. Whatever happens most of it will be somewhere off in the future and somebody else can worry about it.

•  I just don't believe we know enough to do (1+ / 0-)
                annecros

much about it without creating other problems in the process.  I mean, yeah, we should invest in learning how to produce and use energy more efficiently but I think we'd have more success doing that if we make it immediately beneficial for people to do that rather than expecting individuals to take responsibility for the global climate and future impacts on someone else.  I mean we can't even convince people to care about their neighbor's healthcare and we expect them to care about future climate impacts in southeast Asia or wherever?  I mean, tell me how to warm up Minnesota about 90 degrees tomorrow and you've got my attention.

•  You know nothing so you believe no one else does? (3+ / 0-)
                  Bronx59, eagleray, Calamity Jean

Why do you trust your own opinion over that of the world's scientists?

"I mean, tell me how to warm up Minnesota about 90 degrees tomorrow and you've got my attention."

This has nothing to do with global warming ... why are you trolling here?

•  Fine. So in fact you are down with the program. (0+ / 0-)

Since the program consists of more efficient electricity generation via renewables plus efficiency and conservation measures, all of which cuts CO2 emissions while lowering costs. And we want to cut carbon subsidies.

So what are you arguing against? We aren't proposing geoengineering here.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 07:06:34 PM PST

•  How Dare the Government Tell Me What Kind (0+ / 0-)

of light bulbs to buy which use 90+% less energy while I rant & rave & rail about my high electric bills, which I conflate into voting for Republicans who want to crush me!!!

YOU just don't Get It?
                   So educate yourself. It's easy. You obviously have access to huge amounts of very good information, with the internet.

The UW here has shown conclusively that the AVERAGE LOW as well as the AVERAGE HIGH temps are rising.

We are starting to see praying Mantises here, which was unheard of just 10 years ago.

Keep your eyes on the Greenland ice-sheet melt, for more info.

•  Fortunately that attitude has little to do with (0+ / 0-)

what will be done. In fact, renewable power is now cheaper than oil and coal in many places, soon to be almost everywhere in the world, and is closing in on gas. Goldman-Sachs is advising against any investments in coal for generating electricity (thermal coal) and in coal export terminals, because such investments will certainly be stranded when they become uneconomical. Coal will continue to be used in steelmaking and some other processes, where the rate of emissions has been sharply curtailed and will continue to decline.

We are at the tipping point where it appears that little or nothing has been happening, but it is about to start happening, seemingly all at once.

Like Marriage Equality, which had an unbroken string of losses up until its first win, and has now had an unbroken string of about 20 victories in various states, DC, and Federal courts. Utah looks like it could be the dam-buster. The District Court there quoted Scalia's dissent on the DOMA case, which claimed that by the majority's reasoning bans on gay marriage are all unconstitutional. From your mouth to the FSM's, um, whatever, Nino.

I have no idea what will be the dam-buster that permits a carbon tax, or when it will happen, but I do know that it is coming.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 07:01:06 PM PST

•  You should be skeptical that you know or (1+ / 0-)
              Calamity Jean

understand anything about climate ... because you don't. You aren't skeptical, you're arrogant, placing confidence in your own beliefs and thought processes that don't deserve that confidence.

•  greenbell equates willful ignorance to skepticism (1+ / 0-)
            Calamity Jean

He/she clearly has no interest in evidence or reason.

•  You aren't skeptical at all. (0+ / 0-)

A skeptical person would challenge the completely wrongheaded idiotic ideas of denial. No skeptic could say "Can't
          enough for me  as we commence our 100 hours of temperatures below zero", because a skeptical person would challenge the idea that global warming -- which is the influx of energy into the planetary atmosphere system" -- would have any effect on their local weather conditions, especially after reading this article. A skeptical person would consider the idea that your cold weather is a result of Arctic air pushing into your area and wonder why that is happening and whether it's a consequence of global warming. A skeptical person would look into the climate science and would question how it is that the world's climate scientists virtually all agree and how it could possibly be a giant hoax or conspiracy and where such an absurd idea comes from.

You aren't a skeptic, you're the opposite ... and I'm leaving out all the impolite stuff.

•  The question was whether you even read the article (2+ / 0-)
          Calamity Jean, alexforgue

All indications are that you did not, or entirely ignored its content ... especially the final line:

“I find it funny that people who know nothing about the atmosphere try to tell me that climate change isn’t real” – My former weather and climate professor.

But you aren't funny, you're disgusting.

•  the cold weather (4+ / 0-)

I am definitely no scientist, but I keep seeing satellite photos (infrared?) of that circle of cold that'll be descending - if it hasn't already.

Perhaps this is the high pressure/low pressure from the Arctic?  Because it looks like it'll be colder in the lower 48 than in northern Canada - which is just nuts.

I've heard people refer to Global Warming/Climate change as "Global Weirding".  That seems to sum it up, to me anyway.

Thanks for such a clear explanation - it's always appreciated by someone who doesn't have a great science background.

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.

by Knockbally on Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 10:00:30 AM PST

•  Atmospherics isn't really all that complicated (0+ / 0-)

If you can monitor every atom in it, as well as those on the surface and every photon entering the atmosphere.

OK, that makes it complicated.  ;)

The easiest way to understand it is, energy. Energy in, energy reflected out, energy being distributed.
        A fraction of a degree over a thousand miles is one hell of a lot of energy to redistribute.

And boy, are we getting a redistribution this week! The ice on my sidewalk, from melted snow, has suffered from a severe case of frostbite.

•  You already have in-house and in-car (0+ / 0-)

warming. What more do you need?

And if that isn't good enough, what keeps you in the land of the snows? You have heard of the tropics, haven't you? Maybe you should try them. Although I should warn you that the coral reefs are dying, so a lot of the most scenic spots are going away.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est