View Diary: Here Ticks a Bomb (28 comments)

•  I've been working on this. (6+ / 0-)

Instead of taking an adversarial stance with people, I try to gently pry out of them what their fears are.  We can then discuss various reasons why their fears may be unfounded.

It's very frustrating, the level of fear-mongering going on in this country.  Last fall my stepson got so wrapped around the axle about "they're gonna take mah guns!" that he was  spending his grocery $ on ammunition.  He has a wife and two small kids!  I think it's immoral to scare people that badly.

•  That's sad about your stepson. (4+ / 0-)
      I think it's immoral to scare people that badly.
      We have an increasing awareness of individual bullies, but our collective awareness of ourselves bullying as a country is still too faint.

There's a million ways to laugh; everyone's a path.

by Tom Lum Forest on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 08:29:18 AM PST

•  I agree with your assessment about the fearmongers (5+ / 0-)

And I too have relatives just like your son who have been whipped into fear over the government taking their guns. I admit, I've given up working with some of them.

One thing I've noticed in some of my relatives case is they are really not very intelligent. I've also noticed this to be the case  with a lot of conservatives, not all, but a good share are not very intelligent. There is another good share that have fine intellectual skills that are not being used simply because they are stuck in their emotions.

The left makes it hard to reach those people in partciular when we continually harp about how stupid this or that conservative politician, idea and/or policy might be. They can't separate themselves from any of it and they take it extremely personally. It is sometimes impossible to get past what they consider themselves being personally called stupid.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.--Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act I, scene 5

by Ooooh on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 08:32:52 AM PST

•  Yes, harping on 'stupid' is not the best (5+ / 0-)

plus, I think it's used far more often than it's true: idiots are as common as geniuses. But ignorance and haste are a dime a dozen, and fear is more common than both.

There's a million ways to laugh; everyone's a path.

by Tom Lum Forest on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 09:00:06 AM PST

•  You've said a mouthful in one brief sentence (0+ / 0-)
          But ignorance and haste are a dime a dozen, and fear is more common than both.

by Ooooh on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 10:35:00 AM PST

•  Also in my step-son's case he was fed a (3+ / 0-)
        Joy of Fishes, Ooooh, FarWestGirl

continuous stream of propaganda while he was stationed in Iraq.  Many nights he would use his precious 'call home' telephone time to beg us for reassurances that things were not as bad here as their 'news' made them out to be.  His anxiety and fear just oozed through the phone line.  It was heartbreaking.  (And infuriating). He came home a changed person.

•  That is such a shame, I'm sorry to hear this. (1+ / 0-)
          NinetyWt

It must be especially heartbreaking to see this in a child you've poured so much time and energy into raising.

by Ooooh on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 10:33:48 AM PST

•  Part of 'The Litany Against Fear' from the Dune (1+ / 0-)
      Ooooh

books says,

'... And when it is gone, only I will remain.
       Then I will look inward and trace the path of my fear...'

Recognising that the fear is separate from ourselves is important. As is tracing the path of a fear and learning everything one can from it.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. ~The Druid.
      ~Ideals aren't goals, they're navigation aids.~

by FarWestGirl on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 12:40:12 PM PST