View Diary: A Human Zoo: Why Did CNN Choose to Air a Story About a Black Toddler Acting Like a "Ghetto Thug?" (49 comments)

•  The first time I saw this picture (1+ / 0-)
    auapplemac

of this little boy it was headlined with a critical remark against the police for their description of the video. When I finally saw the video I felt very sorry for that little boy and hoped to God my kids won't have to go to school with this kid. But race never entered into it. "Thuggery" these days is color blind. This is a story about divided classes and education. And it reflects negatively on America.

Knock twice, rap with your cane

by plok on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 12:31:36 PM PST

•  You can't take race out of this (8+ / 0-)

CNN (and the police) deliberately chose the video of a black child despite the fact that there are a ton of videos of little white kids doing this on Youtube as well. And the comments deliberately picked up on the kid's race.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 12:38:02 PM PST

•  A ton? (2+ / 0-)
        auapplemac, viral

You're going to have to link to them. I couldn't watch the entire video (which as far as I know did not originate on CNN). It was repulsive and sad.

Knock twice, rap with your cane

by plok on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 12:42:29 PM PST

•  Or why don't you try Youtube (1+ / 0-)
          doroma

I recommend typing in "kids behaving badly." It's really sad. I've got a Facebook friend who posts videos of little kids behaving terribly all the time.

by moviemeister76 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 04:06:02 PM PST

•  ""Thuggery" these days is color blind." (3+ / 0-)
      isabelle hayes, Tonedevil, poco

Oh the color blind racism of the liberal.

If knowledge is power and power corrupts, does that mean that knowledge corrupts?

by AoT on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 01:34:28 PM PST

•  No it isn't; it's a word used to dehumanize us, (2+ / 0-)
        AoT, poco

Like the n-word. When I hear a racist use the word thug, I hear n***. I'm not bring sensitive, either.

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 02:48:18 PM PST

•  I agree (2+ / 0-)
          poco, tytalus

when people feel the need to say that something isn't about race then normally it's got something to do with race. Certainly when you're talking about how people refer to someone who is black. It's a defense that white liberals use to avoid talking about racism.

by AoT on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 03:01:59 PM PST

•  You're out of line (0+ / 0-)

When I saw this I immediately knew the likely white police were likely being racist. And I knew it would stir racist feelings among whites. You can take that "racism of the liberal" hogwash and stick it in your ass.

And let me tell you this, I haven't heard the word "thug" since the last time I watched Happy Days.  Maybe I'm just not hangin' in the right circles.

Knock twice, rap with your cane

by plok on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 06:50:36 PM PST

•  You're the one saying "thug" is color blind (1+ / 0-)
              tytalus

and I see it used all over the place in a racist way. And you weren't the only one here being dismissive. And you specifically said that race never came into it. Maybe I misunderstood what you said.

by AoT on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 07:52:40 PM PST

•  Speaking of divided classes... (3+ / 0-)
      Tonedevil, poco, Vita Brevis
      That's some prayer!

Guns don't kill people. People kill guns. -- this message brought to you by the Night Vale chapter of the N.R.A.

by tytalus on Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 01:52:04 PM PST