View Diary: Remind me: Is this a Partisan site? (694 comments)

•  Not just the diary, but comments (62+ / 0-)

and I don't give a shit how many people are whining, I don't appreciate ANYONE telling the community what they can or can't write about. I don't appreciate ANYONE trying to shame people into shutting up about what they feel important.

If it was up to me, I'd have 25,000 people so vested in the issue that they felt compelled to write about Christie's issues. Yup. 25,000 diaries, all one day, all on the same topic, but bringing forth the myriad of different angles that we'd each bring, given all of our different life stories and experiences. I think that would be glorious.

But every time someone whines about what people are writing about, it creates a chilling effect on people who might otherwise have chipped in. And if I see that, I will be necessarily angry about it.

It's the same thing as when people talk about how much they hate Facebook and Twitter and blah blah blah. You don't like something? FINE! Don't do it! But don't discourage other people from participating in whatever ways they want.

•  It was a place to complain instead to taking it to (4+ / 0-)
      poligirl, triv33, TheMomCat, Jarrayy

the the various diaries, I thought you of all people would have appreciated one place for complaining instead of everywhere but boy am I wrong. Guess the pie everywhere will continue.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." Edward R. Murrow

by temptxan on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 10:44:55 AM PST

•  Better yet: (38+ / 0-)

•  Not taking a voluntary hiatus but of course you (5+ / 0-)
          triv33, CenPhx, TheMomCat, poligirl, Jarrayy

are free to show me the door for not breaking any site rules.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." Edward R. Murrow

by temptxan on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 11:26:21 AM PST

•  That's swell. (12+ / 0-)

Talking about Christie is electorally relevant. So is income inequality, the TPP, UI being cut, but let's have a full rec list of all Christie all damn day, after all, this site's demographics are those of the more economically...oh, shall we say comfortable?

So you go on and focus like a laser on this, it's fun, isn't it? And why afflict the comfortable with those annoying issues that are not a delicious scandal?

The next election will focus on economic issues, and not just the middle class. In case you haven't noticed, we barely have one anymore. I know that's hard to see around these parts, but I assure you it's true.

So, sure, tell the folks who have concerns for more than a fun scandal concerning a bully we don't like to take temporary hike while the fat and happy party, that's cool. It's your site.

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 11:29:30 AM PST

•  Light a candle. (7+ / 0-)

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 12:29:11 PM PST

•  spoken like someone privileged and (6+ / 0-)

comfortable economically.

"Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are." ~St Augustine "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." ~Charles Beard

by poligirl on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 02:07:51 PM PST

•  Spoken like someone (4+ / 0-)
                Wordsinthewind, duhban, Bonsai66, emelyn

who feels most privileged and comfortable cursing the darkness.

by raptavio on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 02:26:16 PM PST

•  Light a candle, he says! (9+ / 0-)

Like I would need to do something like that. I have friends, I may not have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, but when you have friends, you don't need to light a candle, light surrounds you.

What kind of person doesn't know that?

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 02:43:24 PM PST

•  rAmen! nt (5+ / 0-)

by poligirl on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 05:39:04 PM PST

•  Jesus Christ (7+ / 0-)

The nastiness of some people. "light an candle" that person says. Yes yes yes mock any attempts to care about real issues that will save the Democratic Party. But I see and have seen this nastiness is encouraged.

Oh well. It is becoming more and more obvious that Daily Kos is just a mouthpiece for the right wing of the Party.

Who was it here who said "polishing the gates?" They sure got that right.

Health insurance is not health care.

by Jarrayy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 06:08:55 PM PST

•  yeah, mocking is totally cool when they do it, (4+ / 0-)
                      ek hornbeck, triv33, DeadHead, Jarrayy

but when the frustrati do it, it's horrific. and gross.

by poligirl on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 09:07:40 PM PST

•  I'm glad you have so many friends... (3+ / 0-)
                  Bonsai66, Wordsinthewind, emelyn

but if they're such a light, why are you cursing the darkness?

by raptavio on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 06:06:00 PM PST

•  Spoken like a man who people avoid at the (4+ / 0-)

office. Is that who you are? A man with few friends? My guess would be yes, as you seem to have no concept of what fighting darkness entails and that it does take friends and empathy.

The darkness I curse is at the heart of my party, it's encouraged and cheered here, but do go on, after all, you are such a candle lighter your own self.

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 06:28:28 PM PST

•  Spoken like a man with many friends. (6+ / 0-)

Thank you for your "concern" for my social life. I'm sure you'll be relieved to know there is no cause for concern.

Perhaps your lashing out at me conceals a misunderstanding of what I'm trying to tell you:

You're devoting your efforts to telling other people what to diary about; whining, in essence, that people are focusing on the fall of the biggest threat for the 2016 Presidential race rather than on the issues that you find important.

What I'm suggesting that it would be more constructive if, instead of trying to control other people's focus, you would offer the alternative you think is important, and make your own diaries about it. You've got a decent sized group of friends who, I'm sure, will support you, rec your diary -- heck, I will too if it's even a halfway decent diary. And then there'll be one fewer Christie diary on the rec list, because yours will be there instead.

Or you can sit here and fantasize about how unhappy my life might be. That's cool too, if if makes you feel better.

by raptavio on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 08:05:28 PM PST

•  What gives you the idea I give a shit what (6+ / 0-)

anybody else diaries about? I read what interests me and pass by what doesn't.

I don't believe I've told anybody what to diary about. What I have told them is to piss on off out of a diary they think shouldn't exist, but that I'm enjoying and they're trying to spoil.

I also didn't say I believed you were unhappy, I'm sure you are. You seem quite self-satisfied. I said you seem like the type that others avoid, probably at work, maybe elsewhere too. Perhaps you don't realize it?

You seem to be the one with control issues here, suggesting to me what "might be constructive" or what I should fantasize about...um, ew, that's pretty icky. I don't need to feel better, you didn't give me a sad.

As a matter of fact, you're a hoot~

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 10:17:56 PM PST

•  If this comment: (2+ / 0-)
                          emelyn, Christin

was not a very large whine about what people on this site focus on, then I have deeply misunderstood your intentions in making the comment.

I have no reason not to, so I'll take you at your word that wasn't your intention.

You also are welcome to continue to fantasize about my social life, but at the risk of reinforcing your speculations about my alleged control issues, you might find other activities more constructive.

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 07:53:03 AM PST

•  Yes, you did misread my intention. (3+ / 0-)
                            poligirl, TheMomCat, 4kedtongue

No biggie. I would assume you were joking about my fantasizing anything about your social life (my point was that you seem kind of unlikable, what with that superior attitude and all)  but I've yet to see you say anything remotely funny--on purpose. Otherwise, like I said, you're a real hoot.

My comment was to the site's owner and his casual blowing off of a certain segment of people here. That's no biggie, either. He doesn't give a shit.

Yes, Christie's corruption and bullying and downfall is important and somewhat delicious. Is it the only thing? No.

I also believe we've had plenty of snarky meta diaries make the rec list without the high dudgeon of this response right here. Hell, I could find you some if I gave a shit, but I don't.

As far as doing something constructive, well...huh. I know you don't pay all that much attention, but I'm not here very much anymore. Guess why?

I'm busy doing shit that matters.

LOL~

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 12:12:32 PM PST

•  No, I'm not joking about that. (2+ / 0-)
                            Christin, TheMomCat

I think your hostility and efforts to be insulting are kind of sad and pathetic and I hope that they at least make you feel better, because I don't see any real value in them otherwise. Unless your aim is for me to feel kinda awkwardly sorry for you, in which case, mission accomplished. But I suppose feeling awkwardly sorry for you is part and parcel of a superior attitude. Alas.

Don't worry about Christie being the focus. The focus will diminish after time and we can return to other shit that matters. In the more than ten years I've been reading the site, it has ever been thus.

If you're doing shit that matters -- great! May many people benefit from the fruits of your labor. That's way more important than pie fighting here.

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 12:25:40 PM PST

•  i think it does make her feel better (0+ / 0-)

normally sweet triv33 throws much much worse at those she seethes and rages at....but this rage filled rant was amusing.

my joke, Christin. (1+ / 0-)Recommended by:poligirla

and then fuck right off.Just beyond privileged, entitled, spoiled and it shows.Go the fuck away, you hypocritical queen of hyperbolic projection.I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

and now she babbles incoherently that no one likes you at work. too funny.
                            don't you realize everyone at your job hates your guts . triv33 said so.
                             also didn't say I believed you were unhappy, I'm sure you are. You seem quite self-satisfied. I said you seem like the type that others avoid, probably at work, maybe elsewhere too. Perhaps you don't realize it?You seem to be the one with control issues here, sugges
                          •  Yeah, I'm gonna stick with (0+ / 0-)

feeling awkwardly sorry for her.

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 08:46:29 PM PST

•  exactly. (0+ / 0-)

been doing that for a while. it's why her epic rage filled attacks don't elicit more than a oh, ok.

•  I wouldn't call them epic or rage filled. (0+ / 0-)

They seem to have hurt embedded in them, being projected upon others. I'm not sure if she's trying to BE hurtful to share that hurt, or if she's just expressing her hurt in extroverted ways. Either way, it's awkward to watch.

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 09:09:11 PM PST

•  I'm talking about the ones (0+ / 0-)

she throws my way.
                            rage filled was me being very kind and cutting her a break.
                            this one was mild compared to most.
                            it's beyond what's normal, hence. the oh, ok.
                             you have a kind heart R.

•  I like to think I do (0+ / 0-)

but really, my kind heart is not what I'm showing to triv33. I have to close my heart, kind or otherwise, off to people like that or the negativity they express can be infectious.

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 09:44:08 PM PST

•  You find efforts to be insulting to be ... (3+ / 0-)
                            TheMomCat, poligirl, 4kedtongue

... {__insert_insulting_terms_here_}.

Seems like your madlib is a bit recursive here.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:35:28 AM PST

•  I know some people don't or can't differentiate (1+ / 0-)
                            poco

between characterizing actions and characterizing people.

I'm not one of those people.

by raptavio on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 09:06:07 AM PST

•  like kos said (0+ / 0-)

see ya! :-)

triv33 wrote:

the pie NOWHERE. Seriously, if you have a problem about a political elections-focused site focusing on a scandal involving an electorally-relevant politician, then you should take a Daily Kos hiatus. We'll be talking about Christie for a while.It's like complaining about focusing on Romney in September of 2012. Which, incidentally, many did.by kos on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 02:00:54 PM EST[ Parent | Reply to This ]
                      •  oh light a fucking candle blinky. ffs, no one was (3+ / 0-)
                        BruceMcF, triv33, TheMomCat

trying to tell people what to write about, just that the absolute domination of Bridgeghazi as diary subject especially rec list domination was kind of overkill and then folks pointed out that there are a lot of other really important issues that affect a lot of people too.

no one was whining, mocking yes, whining no (unless you have a different dictionary than i), and no one was telling people what to write. or trying to control anything. believe me, i think most folks know we could never control anything here except our own behavior.

and i don't think you're unhappy at all; i think you're privileged and it shows.

by poligirl on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 11:26:39 PM PST

•  Yes, the "chilling effect" ... (5+ / 0-)

... spin used by kos to deflect the criticism implied by the satirical "I got a Bridgegate Diary Too! Put Me On the Reclist" is clever in its way, but dripping in irony when its used in an argument trying to dismiss an appeal to the community to think more deeply about its community moderation, side by side with upholding "community moderation" as a virtue.

The conclusion would seem to be that the community thinking more deeply about how it exercises its community moderation power would constitute a "chilling effect", which would be bad.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 07:32:19 AM PST

•  And more importantly (2+ / 0-)
                          poligirl, Christin

no one was actually writing about those other important issues; rather, they were sitting around complaining about the neglect of those issues.

Sorry, pinky, no sell.

And you're damn right I'm privileged. Having spent many years at the bottom of the income scale and living in what passes for high crime areas in St. Paul, I know how privileged I am now. That's why I devote so much of my time to local politics and making sure that policies are put in place that quit punishing the poor for being poor and insulating the rich from accountability or responsibility.

Right now there's an interesting primary/caucus battle for the Democratic nomination for my Congressional district (MN-02). Probably the biggest race I'll be focused on (though I may give Franken a few hours of my time, but probably not Gov. Dayton). Also gotta see who we can muster to unseat my Republican state rep -- we managed to get the state Senator flipped to D in 2012, and the Rep is a freshman, so we might have a chance.

That state Senator, in a fairly red area of the state, proudly and vocally stood up and was counted on the right side of history when the legislature voted to legalize gay marriage, and also has supported a number of bills to help Minnesotans -- and Minnesota is now doing much better than most of the country when it comes to economy, unemployment and income inequality (which I suppose adds to my privilege, but there we are).

So in my community, I'll light all kinds of candles, like I have for decades. For you, I'll light a fucking flamethrower.

Now go do something useful.

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 08:05:45 AM PST

•  (And just so there's no misunderstanding, (2+ / 0-)
                            poligirl, Christin

deliberate or otherwise,  from your little troupe, "flamethrower" is a reference to Internet "flames", or what are known as "pie fighting" on DKos.)

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 08:09:01 AM PST

•  you should write on this if you have time... (0+ / 0-)

i bet you'd find some interest here. hell i'd rec it.

by poligirl on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 11:38:08 AM PST

•  I do, from time to time. (1+ / 0-)
                            poligirl

Though I did make the mistake (due to nothing but laziness on my part) of not diarying about the candidacy (losing, unfortunately) for state rep in 2012, of the father of the first known openly gay soldier to die in combat. A really good man, and we had a couple conversations about losing family to these unfortunate wars.

But rec what you choose, don't rec what you choose.

by raptavio on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 12:19:58 PM PST

•  Light a Candle Instead of Cursing the Darkness (0+ / 0-)

You don't seem to get the reference. I don't know what you think it means, but it means "instead of criticizing what you say is missing, add something you think belongs".

But then, your .sig says "when it is dark enough, you can see the stars"; Your St Augustine quote is pretty dark too. So maybe you prefer to curse the darkness, or just let others light the candles.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 10:12:52 AM PST

•  no, Doc...you misunderstand. (2+ / 0-)
                  TheMomCat, poligirl

Plenty of us have been lighting all kinds of candles all over the place, to add something that's missing, yes.

We're being told to douse our candles, the candles to prop up neoliberal centrist bullshit count more, the horse race is the most important, and we just can't get enough candles on this bridge situation, damn it.

We want our candles seen too, is that okay?

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 12:30:05 PM PST

•  Because if we care about electoral politics, (6+ / 0-)

we don't care about anything else.

Perhaps if some of yous had focused more on electoral politics, you wouldn't have such a horrible, no-good, very bad President and Congress.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 02:16:26 PM PST

•  Focus Like a Laser? (0+ / 0-)

So supporting lots of people discussing their diverse viewpoints on a single important political development is "focusing like a laser"? No, it's the opposite.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 10:09:43 AM PST

•  September 2012 was 2 months before the (6+ / 0-)

presidential election and he was the opposition candidate. you truly don't see the difference between January 2014 - 2 years and 12 months before the presidential election?

it just sometimes seems as though the *only* way we know how to win elections is by tearing down the opposition, and i think Christie's being pretty effectively dispatched.

i long for days when Dems actually spent more time talking about how they wanted to make people's lives better, instead of solely running on not making them worse than the opposition, and that's how they won elections.

we've always talked about the opposition, we just also talked about what we wanted to do as a Party. now we're seem singly obsessed with the opposition and *anyone* who possibly might fit that definition counts.

what do we want to do? really what do we want our Party to stand for?

ya know - this blog could take a proactive position and help lead the Party. people are getting more desperate and destitute. they are waiting for some leadership.

just saying we crashed the gates, now why not stand for fixing the castle? cuz the oppo won't let us? let's take it to the people. yes, i'm serious.

by poligirl on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 02:04:59 PM PST

•  Exactly. It was the civilized thing to do. (5+ / 0-)

Allow one place for complaints, rather than strewing them across the various Christie-centered diaries and creating conflict.

The Dutch kids' chorus Kinderen voor Kinderen wishes all the world's children freedom from hunger, ignorance, and war. ♥ ♥ ♥ Forget Neo — The One is Minori Urakawa

by lotlizard on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 11:12:19 AM PST

•  The problem if you pay attention to most of the (20+ / 0-)

anti-partisan comments is that many of those people have already decided (or decided before they came here) that their goals can't be accomplished by supporting the Democratic Party--or any traditional party.  So they are truly offended by anything that seems to indicate that support for one of the two political parties is important.  Or that shows one of the two main parties is floundering.

I for one don't see how we can accomplish the "important" things such as NSA reform, unemployment benefits, etc. without being a part of the electoral process.  I realize there are many here that disagree.  I would love to hear from those same people exactly how they intend to change any of the "important" political issues without regard to partisan politics.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 11:21:32 AM PST

•  Wish I could rec more than once! (6+ / 0-)

If Liberals hated America, we'd vote Republican.

by ord avg guy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 12:14:52 PM PST

•  I think you omitted some important adjectives ... (5+ / 0-)
        Johnny Q, poligirl, duhban, triv33, jarbyus

... there:

It would rather be: "So they are truly offended by anything that seems to indicate that reflex, unthinking support for one of the two political parties is important."

After all, Christie being a political bully with an administration packed full of people who act like bullies to please the boss is not automatically a partisan issue. For a lot of people, it would be identically bad if it were someone acting the same way with a D behind their name.

For others, it is a critical distinction that it is an R acting this way rather than a D acting this way.

Obviously only the naive and gullible would believe all R's bad, all D's good on these grounds, but for the partisan hacks ~ the "more whether better or worse Democrats" faction as opposed to the "more, if they are better, Democrats" faction ~ all that really matters is they were worried about running Hillary against Christie in 2016 with the way that the mess media fawns over Christie, and this is a scandal that eases that concern.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 01:09:42 PM PST

•  Actually I've seen that a lot of the anti-democrat (5+ / 0-)

posters presume quite a bit.  For instance, they presume that because people think Christie is a lying manipulator those same people think it would be OK if a democrat were doing it.  But in all of the 70+ diaries I have never seen a single implication that this behavior would be OK if a democrat did it.  So those people who hate partisans set up a false premise in order to do their hating.

Secondly, the obsession that the anti-partisan commenters have with their theory that people support democrats no matter what again relies on their own false construct.  For instance, in your comment you presume that the people who are pleased to see the front-runner for the GOP damaged are pleased because they want to "run Hillary against Christie".  The fact is ANY candidate--even these peoples' preferred third party candidate, or Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Saunders will have to run against the Republican front-runner.  So all of this angst because you presume people who are pleased Christie is damaged politically are third way, Hillary supporters is again just a false construct created only in the minds of the people who are looking for reasons to complain about democrats.

I don't mind you calling out "partisanship no matter what the consequences" but I do mind when you make up loyalties that there is no evidence of.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 07:13:13 AM PST

•  Wow, I wish this could be said by you (12+ / 0-)

in one of Ray Pensador's diaries, where he is incessantly hounded, trolled, ridiculed, etc. about his diaries' topics.

... I don't appreciate ANYONE telling the community what they can or can't write about. I don't appreciate ANYONE trying to shame people into shutting up about what they feel important.
    •  Yes, rather than encouraging 'the community' ... (4+ / 0-)
      triv33, TheMomCat, BigAlinWashSt, poligirl

... to consider what they choose onto the reclist, the chilling effect of divide and conquer, driving people out of "the community" so that there is no reason to be concerned when they are told what they can or cannot write about is far superior.

Under what criteria it is far superior, I haven't a clue, but I am sure that is just my status as an outsider responsible for me not being clued into the foundation for the superiority of the one chilling effect to the other.

That is, after all, why I stopped composing my essays at daily kos and cross-posting them from here ~ the necessity of self-censorship in order to guarantee retained access to my accumulated body of work and accustomed authoring platform was not a price I was willing to pay for a moderately more convenient editing platform.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 03:50:56 PM PST

•  I don't see why anyone would feel the need (1+ / 0-)
        Sylv

to tell people what they should or should not rec on the rec list.  If there are stories on the rec list that you don't want to read, then don't read them.  It's really that simple.  Clearly you have made the intellectual decision not share your lofty ideas here.

Well, alrighty then.

•  The wreckage list is deliberately designed to ... (4+ / 0-)

... impose a competition for space between authors ~ it is the diary rec'ers that people aiming for the wreckage list are attempting to pander to when they write on what they view to be the hot topic most likely to get them onto the wreckage list.

In kos's vision of 25,000 diaries on every nuance of the scandal, we well know that over 24,000 of those diaries would be repeating what has already been said, aiming to get the timing exactly right to hit the wreckage list.

As far as:

... clearly you are not as skilled in reading as you are in sharing your condescension: not being free to use daily kos as my home base is not the same as not "sharing my ideas" here, as you could infer from the fact that I have over ten times as many essays posted here as you.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 06:07:19 PM PST

•  FWIW (0+ / 0-)

I went back and tipped and recced the diary in question.

Why?  Because you and others apparently got your panties in a twist over one guy who wrote a snarky diary about the number of diaries on Chris Christie.

Really? We have the site owner weighing in on this BS.

Really? Some folks need to get a life.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 06:37:59 PM PST