View Diary: War on poverty, income inequality and wealth disparity not a winning message (185 comments)

•  This is unhealthy to say the least (21+ / 0-)

The tensions being created in society will get worse until something snaps.  And it will be ugly.

The wealthy can spin it all they want but they will not succeed.

The increasing inequality is now out of control and I don't see anything that will turn it around.

The two party system framework dictates that one party has to be part of the solution or they are both going to be swept away after the snap.

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 04:19:30 PM PST

•  It's all in the numbers (6+ / 0-)

Not enough are suffering yet.  Wait until the majority of boomers retire.   I am already seeing the oldest boomers moving left.

•  Boomers have been "on the left." (1+ / 0-)
        eyo

It's their "entitlements," that they are on the cusp on filing for, that have been the "target" of fiscal hawks for the past several years.

It's time for the rest of society to catch up!

;-)

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 06:47:47 PM PST

•  Not so... (4+ / 0-)
          BriarRose, Sir Roderick, Shockwave, eyo
          Boomers have been "on the left."
          I work with several retirement age self professed former hippies that are now near retirement, and are Fox News watching, Limbaugh listening, Obama hating jackasses. See the reason they are feeling the squeeze on their retirement nest eggs has everything to do with what's happened since BHO took office. Nothing to do with the fact that they were stupid enough to vote for Shrub. Twice...

No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been. Adelaide Proctor -7.25/-5.64

by mikejay611 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 07:24:34 PM PST

•  In 'liberal' Seattle (3+ / 0-)
            mikejay611, Shockwave, eyo

boomers may call themselves leftists but routinely vote against funding public transportation and schools AND whine that housing is not increasing fast enough  and there are too many homeless in their neighborhoods.

I know scientists who profess to  be environmentalists who buy beach front property and build private walls and drive solo in SUVs to work.

Rememebr the old spiritual: Everyone talking bout heaven aint a goin there.

Lots of lip service out there.

•  Amen... (2+ / 0-)
              Shockwave, eyo

by mikejay611 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 07:58:15 PM PST

•  BR and mikejay611--please read my comment below. (1+ / 0-)
                eyo

I have no "bone to pick" with either of you, except that I disagreed with the "mortgage deduction"--which has been used by Americans of all income levels, for decades.

For instance, a person could live in a "lean-to" that has a morgage on it, and if one's overall itemized deduction meets the percentage for the filing year--be eligible to use the "mortgage deduction."

A lower income individual might meet this overall annual deduction due to catastrophic medical bills, for instance.

So it it not a tax expenditure that applies only to "the wealthy."

That was my only point.

And I have no idea what you mean by "Lots of lip service out there."

I've made a factual point.

Check it out, please, before calling it "lip service."

;-)

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:14:07 PM PST

•  We'll have to "agree, to disagree." ;-) (1+ / 0-)
            Lily O Lady

I'm not a hippie or former hippie, but a recent (early-age) retiree, married to a relatively soon-to-be (early-age) retiree who's always been a "leftie."

Obviously, some Boomers are conservatives--never meant to imply that there were none.  I assumed that we were discussing the Democratic Party Base, and progressives, in general.

And, yes, I believe that the leftward trend is partly because of the threat to retirement benefits (Social Security and Medicare) that has been posed since the Bowles-Simpson Chairman's Mark was released in December of 2010.

I have commented on this many times--providing scores of links.  I don't have time this evening to repost all my previous comments about the Fiscal Commission, but here's a link to the Bowles-Simpson proposal, "The Moment Of Truth."

If you don't believe that the "Grand Bargain" is for real, please take time to read their proposal.

And take note, especially, of the section entitled "Social Security," Section V, Page 48.

Several of the cuts called for were in the Administration's 2014 Budget.

I "hope" that they decide NOT to continue down this path.

Apparently, some Dem lawmakers who are standing for election this year are very worried--and trying to stop this runaway train!

Below, I've linked to a recent article from "The Hill," on this topic:

Democrats plead with Obama to abandon Social Security cut

By Alexander Bolton - 01/11/14 12:00 PM EST

Democratic senators are pleading with President Obama to abandon his proposal to trim Social Security benefits before it becomes a liability for them in the midterm elections.

The president proposed a new formula for calculating benefits in his budget last year, in hopes that the olive branch to Republicans would persuade them to back tax increases in a broader fiscal deal.

But Democratic lawmakers say Obama should shelve the idea now that they are facing a difficult midterm election where they need to turn out the liberal base to preserve their Senate majority.

“I’m not sure why we should be making concessions when the Republicans show absolutely no willingness to do the same,” said Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.).

Democrats acknowledge it may be awkward for Obama to rescind his proposal, but say it would unwise of him to repeat the offer in the budget that is due out next month.

“I think it’s difficult for the president to pull it back after he already floated it but I would love to see it shelved until Republicans show they’re actually going to do something on their side of the ledger,” Murphy said.

Obama proposed nearly $1 trillion in spending cuts in his budget, including a switch to using the Chained Consumer Price Index (CPI), which liberal policy experts estimate could cost seniors thousands of dollars in benefits over their lifetimes.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a liberal think tank, projected that most future beneficiaries would see a 2 percent reduction in benefits during the course of retirement. . . .

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 07:57:44 PM PST

•  Don't get all defensive - (1+ / 0-)
              eyo

you made a blanket statement that all boomers are "on the left", and I work with some of the most awful people (recently got into a real battle with one who has openly admitted to drug experimentation, protesting Vietnam, etc.) that are the people who vote en mass for the republican party ticket. Why? Well part of it is the dream I believe they were sold (trickle down economics) and part of it is my favorite subject: RACE! (welfare queens and illegals stealing all my stuff). I was just positing my experience with it first hand. Every Day. And my original point was also to show that some of the best "lefties" of the Boomer Gen, turned hard right after they had to grow up, which was a while ago... Ted Nugent anyone?

by mikejay611 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:06:12 PM PST

•  I've explained my views on mortage interest, and (0+ / 0-)

entitlement reform/Grand Bargain.

Fine--you hate Boomers who are Republicans!

I don't hate anyone, but I'll agree that they are misguided.

I'm sorry that you've had such negative experiences.

Good luck!

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:29:00 PM PST

•  Never said I hated anyone (0+ / 0-)

and gee you throw generalizations and absolutes around a lot for a liberal... Puzzling... I read a pie fight between you and another individual (they were wrong, you were right) where lost of folks here came to your rescue. You don't need to tell me about entitlement reform, and how it hurts people in your age group because my mom is living it every day. You also should not shunt the points that I've made in disagreement to blanket statements you've made aside as if I were too stupid to understand what your point was. I never once disagreed with your overall point. Just the statement that all boomers are moving left, which is false. The reason republicans are still being elected is because of baby boomers. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you, but it is the truth...

by mikejay611 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:44:23 PM PST

•  It wouldn't be a snap, though. Worse, likely. (2+ / 0-)
      glitterscale, Shockwave

Ugly, as you say.

I'd rather not have to live through a societal collapse.

•  Why do you think they're destroying education? (1+ / 0-)
      Shockwave

Robots don't think and slaves don't complain if they know what's good for them.