View Diary: War on poverty, income inequality and wealth disparity not a winning message (185 comments)

•  "income inequality, wealth disparity" is egghead (12+ / 0-)

speak. You've already lost half the voters, as we've seen time and again with the 'we will explain it to you' approach of Kerry and many many others over decades.

The Dems need to go on the attack: Republican Economics are killing us! This nation's in a mess, and it's time to make it right again. Supply-Side is a scam, the results of thirty years are right there in all those closed stores!

Problem: The Dems, the power center, is fully on board with Supply Side with its Free Trade, Trickle-Down, Deregulation, Privatization. Everyone of these things have been a diaster and a delusion. And we'll hear a Dem now and then disparage Trickle-Down, but not the rest. They believe in it. Or it's the most convenient/profitable thing to support in practice.

The message has to be 'Take back America from the crooks running things.! The filthy rich are screwing you, and it's time it stop. Restore America."

But who is going to deliver that message, and get campaign money? Fact is, if a high-visibility third-party person were to come out with that, the voters would flock to them, as both parties are widely held in contempt once you get outside of RedState and DailyKos type places.

Actual Democrats: the surest, quickest, route to More Democrats. And actually addressing our various emergencies.

by Jim P on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 04:51:50 PM PST

•  This is the question I often pose to Rush-ReTHUG (5+ / 0-)
      Jim P, goodpractice, mikejay611, emal, eyo

loving relatives, "how many of you are more hopeful about you and your children living the American dream than your parents were?  When I get few affirmatives, I say quite  conspiratorially..."rickle-down economics has failed Working America...greedy bastards do not let wealth trickle down, never have and never will.  If I'm not shouted down, I'll add "if they lied to us about wealth trickling down, what other lies have been pushed?" I get some interesting answers.

Seriously...who thinks so poorly about themselves that they willingly accept economic crumbs dribbling down from an economic elite.

While I detest the results, I am in awe of the successful pushing of the trickle-down meme.  It has to be one of the greatest Plutocratic propaganda and group-think efforts in American history.

Robber Baron "ReTHUGisms": John D. Rockefeller -"The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets"; Jay Gould -"I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half."

by ranton on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 05:47:06 PM PST

•  The problem with going on the attack (6+ / 0-)
        Square Knot, dfarrah, Jim P, ranton, mikejay611, eyo

is that we control the White House and Senate. For the first two years of BHO's Presidency, we also had the House. Since 1980, the GOP has had the White House for 20 years. By the end of BHO's term, we will have had it for 16 years. In fact, 16 of the last 24.

Voters may not keep up with the daily gyrations and nuances the some political junkies do, but they know who is in charge. Why elect Dems if we can't get anything done without overwhelming majorities?

Reagan/Bush and Bush/Cheney would browbeat Dems into submission or would go after them on election day. Ask Daschle, Foley or Max Cleland.

We cannot pretend our party has clean hands the past 30+ years. The Mark Warner types are the Dem leaders as far as policy is concerned because they can't be taken for granted. We have to move their way.

We have to make Blue States more blue to combat the moderates on economic policy. Chuck Schumer and Durbin would be first on my list.

•  Yes, we had the HOUSE...but not a super majority (3+ / 0-)
          mikejay611, mdriftmeyer, eyo

And the lack of a super majority basically caused defeat for us numerous times via the filibuster.

•  And Dem Senate Leadership let the filibuster (3+ / 0-)
            mikejay611, ranton, eyo

rules, clearly much worse than they had always been, stand. if not for Reid's cooperation with the Republican wish to sabotage legislation, the House had passed a large number of American people friendly Bills that just died. While Reid opted for a comity which plainly didn't exist.

We're left to wonder if Reid had restored the old filibuster rules, would the House have passed the same legislation? Not really sure about that.

by Jim P on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 07:25:00 PM PST

•  Back to the bullshit narrative about (0+ / 0-)

how Democrats never really had any power and so it's not their fault? Large majority in the House, 59 seats in the Senate--and a supermajority in the Senate for about 2 1/2 months, which Reid made use of not at all. Horsepuckey.

Hyper-partisans want recent history to begin in Jan, 2011. What would they do without the Tea Party?

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 12:23:44 PM PST

•  Are you suggesting that the Dem Party needs (2+ / 0-)
          mikejay611, ranton

to move in Warner's direction?

The same Warner who proposed early last year to eliminate altogether, or greatly reduce, the "Estate Tax."  (Which I posted from the Congressional Quarterly, repeatedly.)

Frankly, I think we have more than enough fiscal hawks.

We need a big dose of populist economic policies and candidates, if we are to win in 2014 and 2016!

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 07:05:37 PM PST

•  I purposefully do not use Party names but the (1+ / 0-)
          eyo

alll-inclusive "they" when I engage.  ReTHUGlcanism and "Republican Lite" have much to answer for considering both the nation and my state.

I am all too aware that Democrats are not blameless here. For example, did I miss the Democratic Party's overwhelming interest in reinstating Glass-Steagall provisions before 2008?  Did I miss the Democratic Party's sincere attempt to advance protecting pension funds from raiding or punishing job out-sourcing over-seas and incentivize USA production?

However, while "They" have lap-dogs and members in both parties (it's why I WAS an independent...vote the person not the Party I foolishly thought), the past few years have utterly shown that the ReTHUG Party is a wholly-owned subsidiary.

by ranton on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 08:13:00 PM PST

•  Not in favor of a 3rd party though. (2+ / 0-)
      Sir Roderick, eyo

That's how to elect the Republican, and all die in the ensuing inferno.

•  Not so sure. Haven't seen a poll since 2009 (0+ / 0-)

but then half of self-identified, Dem or Repub, wished they had an option. Don't like third party either, but both our parties are trying to be the Whigs. Get one guy/gal with the right rhetoric, and a big enough organization to get past the Duopoly's monopoly on state ballots... people, from what I hear, are really really sick of this shit. The economy, the wars, the corruption, all of it.

by Jim P on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 06:40:55 PM PST

•  But it elects your nightmare. It's that simple. (1+ / 0-)
          mikejay611

Bush, for example.

•  The nightmare is gone and his worst policies (4+ / 0-)
            mikejay611, emal, Whatithink, hooper

get entrenched and expanded. People know neither party is going to go against what the Corporations want.

Even at this moment, the President and leading Dems are trying to push the TPP down our throats. Which is guaranteed to screw both the Party and the Nation. Why?

by Jim P on Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 07:28:05 PM PST

•  We know the answer to this, the country is (0+ / 0-)

largely controlled by bankers and other corporations.  But that doesn't mean both parties are equally bad.

The TPP is awful and we can hope it dies, and work for this.  We killed the FTAA in Quebec in 2001 and the 1999 Seattle WTO round before that.  We seem to be making some progress against the TPP.  Last week Congressional Democrats came forth in objection to the TPP/fast track process and are threatening to halt it.

I'd mention that "his (Bush's) worst policies get entrenched & expanded" is just not true, though I understand how it can feel that way sometimes.  We could be invading & torturing, for example, and we would be again under most conceivable Republican administrations.  It can get worse, much worse, as we found out under Bush.

Obama's trade proposals should be defeated, I agree.  We can do that, I hope, though I wish our opposition was more active.  But in either case 3rd parties just make things worse.

•  1)That nightmare never got elected. (0+ / 0-)

2) Right now, you can either have the nightmare right away (Republicans) or you can engage in a slow motion progress toward the nightmare which will get to you in a few years' time (Democrats).

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 12:25:00 PM PST

•  Exactly right. (0+ / 0-)

And we can start with the narrative of the Wall-St-induced crash that took our houses and our jobs--followed by the bailout.

That basically sums up the lying, the theft, the forcing people out of work and into poverty, and the corruption in government.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 12:21:54 PM PST