View Diary: UPDATE X3: There WAS a traffic study, but Wildstein's 'test' actually screwed it up (177 comments)

•  1 lane not from the engineers... (11+ / 0-)

Rivera (chief traffic engineer) produced 3 configurations for traffic entering from Ft. Lee:

mid-day - commingled, non-regulated across all toll lanes

rush-hour - 3 right lanes dedicated to Ft Lee

possible mod - take 1 lane away from Ft. Lee

After discussion with Wildstein, option 4 was added: take 2 lanes away from Ft Lee

I don't think that came from Engineering. If you see a document that indicates it does, please indicate which one-I didn't see one. (if '494' is a reference to a document, I don't understand it)

Also, Engineering would never have sprung this as a total surprise on Friday with implementation on the following Monday. I'm an engineer, and we don't work that way. Politicians do!

Cheers.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. Friedrich Schiller

by databob on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 05:46:37 PM PST

•  I have clients all the time (16+ / 0-)

that want me to do things that don't make sense (I'm an architect) and sometimes it is simply impossible to talk them out of it.  So you just have to play along, and when it blows up they finally understand.  Or they fire you.

I totally agree with you.  Wildstein saw an opportunity and he asked the engineers to do this.

If this was legit, several things would be different:
         1) Foye's warnings would have been heeded and the lanes opened up asap
         2) The mayor would have been notified
         3) The engineers wouldn't have had to postpone/restart their real traffic study
         4) The governor would have certainly been notified eventually and, if he was totally innocent, he would have immediately opened up the lanes, looked into it and fired whomever was responsible.
         5) The governor would not have called up Cuomo to tell him to "call off his investigation"
         6) Wildstein would not have pleaded the fifth, risking contempt, and asking for immunity if this was nothing more than a traffic study!

This whole thing is cracking me up - I'm already halfway through a bag of popcorn that normally takes me a month to finish!  I can't wait to see Christie resign in disgrace....

"Mediocrity cannot know excellence." -- Sherlock Holmes

by La Gitane on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 06:01:19 PM PST

•  And thank you for this BTW!! (6+ / 0-)

"Mediocrity cannot know excellence." -- Sherlock Holmes

by La Gitane on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 06:01:38 PM PST

•  The most damning thing I read in the entire dump (1+ / 0-)
      Addison

Page 525

Mail from Mark Muriello, one of the PA professional managers, says "this is a 24/7 toll plaza change the 15th floor is seeking."

The 15th floor is the exec floor of the Port Authority.

So yes, this is a real study, but it may be that Wildstein ensured the most disruptive test routing plan (option number 4 to feed into a single lane) was selected.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

by pajoly on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 07:16:37 PM PST

•  I think you are reading it wrong (1+ / 0-)
        kurt

The only real study was the Center and Lemoine rehab. All the work was outlined in advance and Ft. Lee was given notice. Wildstein came up with the closures idea, pitched it to Rivera, who made several options, which were implemented with no notice and over objections. The closures in no added the Lemoine rehab and in fact, set it back because the traffic count had to be redone.

You see things; and you say “Why?” But I dream things that never were; and I say “Why not?” --George Bernard Shaw, JFK, RFK

by CenPhx on Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 08:45:20 PM PST

•  Traffic engineers (1+ / 0-)
      CenPhx

do not need to do a test that deliberately creates chaos to know that is what is going to happen.  They would already know that chaos would result because of their traffic counts and the peak time and direction counts.  They have studied this stuff and know what will definitely NOT work which is why they are professionals.

To me, the analogy is that a building contractor does not have to deliberately build an unsafe structure that does not meet minimum safety standards to know that it is unsafe.  The builder already knows the requirements needed to build a structure properly.  Those requirements are part of his licensing and training.

"I don't want to run the empire, I want to bring it down!" ~ Dr. Cornel West "It was a really naked declaration of imperialism." ~ Jeremy Scahill on Obama's speech to the UN

by gulfgal98 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 07:01:24 AM PST